FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMCS and Snow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MCS and Snow
    Posted: August/24/06 at 5:32am
Since we got our new Cooper S in July, I was wondering how the car does in the snow.  I heard from one mini driver that they are real bad in the snow.  They have a 2002 model and ours is a 2006 if that makes any difference.
John & Irene
Chili-Red MCS
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/06 at 10:45am

I have an 02' w/ Mitchellin X-Snow Tires and she handles just fine over here in Yakima (I think that we get more snow than the west side?)

Side Note: I grew up in Wisconsin and got my license in the snow so everything stated above is bias.... I LOVE SNOW!!!!!!

MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/06 at 12:07pm

The mini does great in snow as long as it is not deep, over 5" the mini becomes somewhat of a snow plow. As far as someone saying they don't do well in snow they most likley don't know how to drive in snow. Which to be honest are a large percentage of the population.

Case in point most automatic drivers in snow are the ones who slide out into the intersection triying to stop. If you put the thing in neutral it won't push you out into the intersection dummy. And the SUV dummies are usually the first ones in the ditch because they can go better than most but can't stop any better. Sorry if I offend but when it snows around here there are a lot of people that should just stay home.

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
woodmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/06 at 2:05pm
Sounds good.  I learned to drive a 73 VW Bug going up to Baker for skiing every weekend for years.  It's good to hear that the Mini does well.  I have no idea if this fried knows how to drive in the snow or not, I just heard the comment and had to ask.  Now I'm looking forward to get a chance to try it.Smile
John & Irene
Chili-Red MCS
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/06 at 12:56am
Alot of ebrake in parking lots!!!!!! Yeeee Ha! lol.....
beauraines View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/06 at 9:21am
The MINI does fine in the occasional snow around Seattle.

I'm sure your tires will make a great deal of difference there, too.

It is the other drivers you need to watch out for.
2002 MCS Silver and Black, bonnet and boot stripes, auxillary guages, seat heater, JCW intake, 15% pulley, drilled rotors, ICE>LINK PLUS
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/06 at 4:21pm
I have to add, watch out for those SUV people and pick-ups with 4 wheel drive, they think they can really handle snow. This will be our first snow season in the Mini. We have a liitle more snow then Seattle living up at 500 ft in the hills, our Miata does fine with studded snow tires, same with the truck. I am positive the Mini will be fine with good snow tires, just don't go fast, except up the hills, plan to stop at an intersection a little before the intersection. I could go on but I think when the cold season starts we will hear more from more experienced Mini drivers then me. Ciao, Bill
Chili Red 2006 MCS, The Red Dwarf, White hood stripes, racing number 515
JDPepper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/06 at 3:02pm
So, do we need chains and snow tires around here? I'm new to Seattle and I
plan to go snowboarding and such on occassion. The thought of putting
chains on my new car sort of freaks me out. I grew up in Buffalo and we
barely used snow tires, much less chains. Just some sense and some weight
in the trunk (RWD).

Li'l Pepper '06 MC PW/B, Octagon Red, Anthracite, Sport Pkg, ALL THE TOGGLES!!!!!!
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/06 at 3:32pm
To get up to the mountains I would definately recommend snow tires and the DOT and Troops will demand chains at some point. Pick up a set of rims for your snow tires to save $$$$ & time. I bought my blk ADR rims from e-bay cuz last winter I had to drive back at night and had to use chains My poor rims! That is why a second set of rims is strongly recommended by me
Good Luck & Motor On!
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/06 at 12:33am
Personally, I have rarely needed to use chains.  I have purchased them and kept them in the trunk, just in case, but for I-90, I've never needed to chain up.  The few times I've gone down to Crystal I've not needed traction assistance, but that's not a good sampling. 

Also note, I've only driven the MINI up to Snoqualmie Pass last year, so almost all of which I speak has been done in vehicles other than the MINI.  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/06 at 12:36am
We have 8 plus inches of snow here in Bellingham. Took the Mini out yesterday afternoon with Pirelli Soto snow tires from Tire Rack (195/55/16), car and tires were really great. Best in snow, tried to avoid worn ice tracks. I live on a hill and it is tough getting up, but we made it. Turned off the "Stabilty Control" while negotiating hills. "SC" puts the brakes on slipping wheel, next thing you start to stop. One thing the front of the Mini is so low it starts to snow plow and fills up the lower radiator opening. With the SC off I looked for snow instead off tire tracks when slipping started. Tires had amazing grip. The Min handles really good in the snow. Ciao, Bill

Edited by Red Dwarf - November/27/06 at 12:37am
SCHRIKE View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/06 at 9:27am
With chains, I asked about it; but Les Schwab didn't have any in the correct size, and NW MINI told me not to use chains -- they won't fit in the wheel wells. Cable "chains" might fit, but I've heard those are pretty crummy.

I did OK with All Season tires, but definitely not great -- I could feel some slipping. So a set of snow tires/studded tires is probably best.
BritiMINI View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/06 at 2:37pm

I would not recomend studded tires for the Seattle area because of their lack of traction on anything but ice. I would recomend a good set of "winter" i.e. studless snow tires like the Dunlop wintersports they are also available in run-flat. We got them from Discount tire. We put a set on and they have been great.

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 12:58am
I tried to break the tires loose this morning, and the DSC kept getting in the way.  Hee hee.  Sure, it was slick, but I never really felt like I was going to lose control.  Some of the pick ups passing me made me wonder if I should give them a wider berth, but that was it.  I'm running with the factory all-season run flats currently, too.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 3:32am
The tires I got from Tire Rack are Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero RFT, they have worked very well in the snow. My local Discount Tires said Pirelli didn't make them, huh. They are rated in Tire Rack's  reviews of winter tires very good. Ciao, Bill
BritiMINI View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 5:01am
I had to do some education when I got the Dunlops. Everyplace I called or went to said they didn't make run flat snows until I told them that Pirelli and Dunlop did and they looked them up.
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 10:43am
I'm curious about JEFFSC's comment that NWMINI recommended against chains.  Have any of you had problems running chains on your Mini?  I have 17" wheels, but I can imagine it would be even harder putting chains on 18" wheels.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
BritiMINI View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 11:03am
It has to do with clearance and liability if you throw a chain. I'm sure they make chains to fit the 17" wheels but you may tear up your car. You will want to check for clearance in the wheel well when you turn the wheel lock to lock. The 17" tires fill up the wheel well so you may have to go to a different tire. A narrower tire is better in the snow anyway.
Rob Betts View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 12:02pm
I have four Blizzak's (Tire Rack with rims mounted and balanced) on my MSC and it is going everywhere I wanted to go the past two days.
2003 MCS, Electric Blue/Electric Blue,
Mini Mania 200HP kit.
(Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, 15% pully, Jan tune)
Drilled Rotors, EBC pads, painted calipers
AND 2015 JCW Countryman - Black
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 1:28pm
I've used Discount Tires for years and they have been good.The salesman I usually delt with went to another  DC tire store out of state. So talking to Discount this time the sales person said he looked up the Pirelli tires and said they were not made.  Plus on Discounts internet sales they did not list the 195/55/16 size that I wanted, so it was easier to just call Tire Rack for the Run Flats. The price of he Pirelli tire was very much under the Dunlop also. Ciao, Bill
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/06 at 1:41pm
Another question- do you snow tire users put them on for certain months or just as needed? I have an extra set of wheels I could put snow tires on.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
BritiMINI View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/06 at 12:37am
We have two sets of wheels so I can change them as needed but I usually put them on in the fall/winter and then take them off when things warm up. I use temperature and pass conditions as my guide. FWIW Discount Tire was cheaper than Tire Rack on the Dunlops in 195/55/16 so they were close in price to the Pirellis
NWMINI_IAN View Drop Down
MINI Advisor - NWMINI
MINI Advisor - NWMINI
MINI Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/06 at 8:33am

Anote on ths one:  I have a ton of experience with MINI's in the snow..  As well as Tomio here at the dealership....  Basically chains can and will tear up your rims and probably your car...  Best advise.. get pirelli snowsport 240's or Blizzak tires.... Tomio is running snowsports and we took a trip up to the moutains a few times already to go snowboarding...and it is virtually impossible to break the car loose with those tires..  Believe me we both tried.  The day we went up there was 18inches of fresh overnight and we had no problems..  I am running a set of dunlop studless snow tires (very similiar to the pirellis)  and have experienced about the same level of grip and control, which is outstanding!  Also with studless snow tires you COULD run them year round.. However they are generally a softer compound tire, so I take them off and switch to my summer wheels/tires when it gets to be spring/summer   

Hope that helps!

Questions, Comments or Concerns For Northwest MINI Please Contact me... Ian @northwestmini.com Let's MOTOR
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/06 at 12:41pm
 Brit Mini,The Discount Tire guy said they didn't have any 195/55/16 tires at all...Go figure, so you can see why TireRack. It would have been much easier to use DC. Ciao, Bill
BritiMINI View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/06 at 2:28pm
Hmm, they may have sold out of them. I got them in October and they had to get them from NY. He also said that it is not a common size or tire so they would probably sell out quickly. I thought he was just trying to close the sale.
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/06 at 3:34pm
The DC tireguy I used to deal with always came through for me, I should have called him in Oregon and had him jack up the local guy. If Tire Rack could get them I think they were available, but obviously I would have to argue with the local, who insisted Pirelli didn't make them, to much trouble, and the dealer I had them drop shipped to was familiar with the run flats, and was prompt and fast. Ciao, Bill
Rob Betts View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/06 at 12:48pm
I swap my wheels and tires when necessary.  I have a floor jack and a compressor.  It's about a 20 min. task.  
2003 MCS, Electric Blue/Electric Blue,
Mini Mania 200HP kit.
(Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, 15% pully, Jan tune)
Drilled Rotors, EBC pads, painted calipers
AND 2015 JCW Countryman - Black
Mozleron View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/07 at 6:08am

I just took a little trip up to Snoqualmie last night.  On the way up, I noticed Draco dancing around a bit under me when I started to get into the snowy areas.  So, I took a queue from the truckers and put the Chains on.  I got the chains yesterday before I left from Les Schwab.  They fit just fine.  Once I had those on, I kept the speed at or under the recommended 30mph and had no trouble the rest of the way up. 

I am thinking about getting some better snow tires, however, as getting chains off after a few hours of snowboarding out in the cold was a pain in the butt.  While the chains did give really good traction and were easy to put on, they were still a bit of a hassle and I could definitely feel the difference through the steering column. 

Now the only question I have left to solve is where to store the summer tires where I live…

~Mozleron
All black 2003 Mini Cooper S
Pictures of Draco and mods
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/07 at 3:42pm
I've made two round trips over Sno-q in the Red Dwarf with the Pirelli 210 snow tires in the past month, no problems. Ran around the Tri-Cities area and over to Oregon with snow and ice, tires and Mini were fine. Did not do any "Hero" stuff, trying to out run any one and drove with caution. When no one around had some fun testing the car at moderate speed, tires and Mini responded well and was predictable in snow and ice. Played with DSC on and off. Prefer the DSC off when things get hairy. Ciao, Bill
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/07 at 12:16am
Regarding the DSC, I found it really helpful just once.  I have the performance run flats, and the car doesn't do very well in icy/snowy conditions (tho Jo's car with the all-season performance runflats does just fine).  We live up a hill, with a steep driveway.  In the November storm, I made it home just fine, but couldn't get up the hill to our driveway.  So as I sat there thinking about my new car getting run over by a runaway SUV or sprayed by the sanding truck, I thought - hmmm, engine in front.  So I turned around and, with DSC on and throttle flat to the floor, the car did a better job of inching up the street backwards than I could ever have done.  Took about 5 minutes to get the quarter block to just past my driveway, but then with a bit of downhill, I made the corner into my drive, and once on that "raked concrete", made it up the drive!  SAFE at last!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>