Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMY TIRES ARE COMING APART! Only 25k miles!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY TIRES ARE COMING APART! Only 25k miles!
    Posted: August/04/08 at 6:31am

I can't believe it!  I've only got about 31,000 miles on my MINI and the tires are shot!  Actually, I probably have only about 25,000 miles on the runflat tires because I have runflat snow tires that I change to in the winter.  Anyway, I went to rotate them today and this is what I found (see below). 

I need some tires ASAP.  I've been wanting to dump my runflats for a while now, but NOW is the time.  Anyone want to advise me on a good all-around tires out there?  I think I can brave not going with runflats, but I do want some that have good traction in the wet weather.  Where should I go:  Discount Tire, Les Schwab or ?

Thanks for any advice,
Brenda

Edited by Hapa Haole - August/04/08 at 6:38am
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 8:00am

Wow..those really are worn..don't drive on those anymore..dangerous. 25-30K is about max on the run-flats. We just replaced Anne's last week at just shy of 30K. I shopped around quite a bit and we ended up getting the new Falken Zeix 912 tires. They have a performance oriented all season tread pattern and are reasonably priced. In fact, they were rated #1 by Consumer Reports and also were just rated the #1 budget priced performance tire by Grass Roots Motorsports Magazine in their comparison in the latest issue. I picked up a set at Factory Direct Tire in Edmonds. They also sell them at Discount Tire. Payed $500 out the door for a set of 205/50VR/16 (including tax, mounting, balancing..the works). Check them out here at... 

http://www.falkentire.com/xhtml/tires.php?category=1&tire=3

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 9:40am
I've had about the same milage on my runflats, using my snow tires in between. What brand tire do you have, mine are Dunlops. What size tire do have? Look at the Tirerack website, and North American Motoring website, usually called NAM, lots of answers to your question.Since you live on the wet side the Tire RackIdea has some good info regarding wet area tires. They even have recommendations on places to have tires mounted and thier shipping is fast. I've delt with them before and been very happy.  Look up "OnlineTires.com" they are in Portland,O. and have good prices and shipping is cheap.  I have an 06 MCS with 205/45/17 tires and am in the process of looking for tires also. I am going to use "NON RON FLAT" tires. You can get all kinds of little repair kits etc, the NAM website has info on this. On your side of the mountiain you have lots of choices. Feel free to send me a message for more info. PS lot of people like the Falken 912's, I'm looking at them too. Bill & Nancy

Edited by Red Dwarf - August/04/08 at 9:47am
Chili Red 2006 MCS, The Red Dwarf, White hood stripes, racing number 515
jorge View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 9:46am
I have posted this before. I have 4 run flats for sale they have 11.000 miles on them and are in good condition. They are yours for $100.00 each OBO.
Thanks,
DS 07 MCS

Jorge/Road Runner
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 11:40am
I just bought Toyo Proxes 4 from Edge Racing with wheels and shipping for around $950.  I like Toyos, but locally (Les Schwab) they are expensive. 

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 12:52pm
Yikes! Just a few to many burnouts behind the Fire Dept. BuildingWink
Sorry to hear that though. I'd also recommend BFGoodrich gForce KDW 2's
I put to summers worth of spirited driving, several Auto-X Events, 1 Driving School with Lapping, and 2 Regular Lapping Days on them and they still have some life left in them.... AND you all know how I drive on the TrackWink

Edited by YakiMini - August/04/08 at 12:54pm
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 1:17pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on tires.  I appreciate the feedback.  BowDown

I SERIOUSLY need to go shopping for tires this week (like tomorrow).  No highway speeds for me (at least long distance) until I get some new rubber.  H-m-m-m-m... decisions, decisions.  I am more concerned with traction than the amount of miles I can get on the tires.  We do have wet/damp roads on this side of the Cascades, so a tire that does fairly well in that category (i.e. Western Washington's dismal drizzle) would be a plus.  Costco offered the BF Goodrich G Force for $149.99 for a tire mounted and balanced if I remember right (I was just there today... not for tires though).

Edited by Hapa Haole - August/04/08 at 1:18pm
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 2:03pm
The BFGoodRich gForce KDW 2's are on the posters in the Costco Tire Dept. here in Yakima so I'm sure you can see them there. The tread looks like rain drops.. Sort of.
I drove with them in the rain and they were great. Phydeaux had/has them? Hopefully he'll comment
Tristan
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 2:45pm
Hapa Haole, Stick 2 of  your winter tires on for a few days (as long as they are not studded) Give you some breathing space to make a rational decision. That Costco price seems a little high. Check that Tire Rack connection and also your local Discount tire store. Bill
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Red Dwarf Red Dwarf wrote:

Hapa Haole, Stick 2 of  your winter tires on for a few days (as long as they are not studded) Give you some breathing space to make a rational decision. That Costco price seems a little high. Check that Tire Rack connection and also your local Discount tire store. Bill

Hi Bill,

That sounds like a good idea except I have different wheels mounted on my winter tires. Unhappy  By the time I dismounted and mounted (and dismounted and mounted again), I might as well pay the extra price and get a set of new tires.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  I plan on going out tomorrow to look/price tires.  I'll most likely be driving home with new tires in the next day or two.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by jorge jorge wrote:

I have posted this before. I have 4 run flats for sale they have 11.000 miles on them and are in good condition. They are yours for $100.00 each OBO.
Thanks,
DS 07 MCS

Hi Jorge, Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm gonna go with some new tires.  - Brenda

Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 3:46pm
Try your local Discount Tire store, they have lots of tires for the Mini. I used them all the time for they had the best balance machines and gave me good serice for my track tires when I was racing. Nite, Bill
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/08 at 11:19pm
Red Dwarf is right.... I did not buy my KDW2's from Costco but I believe that the boys in Yakima told me they could get them.
I purchased my KDW2's from the TireRack.com
Tristan
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 1:49am
Hapa Haole, Hope you find the new shoes for your Mini today. Let us know what you end up with tire wise.  Bill
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:23am
Originally posted by YakiMini YakiMini wrote:

The BFGoodRich gForce KDW 2's are on the posters in the Costco Tire Dept. here in Yakima so I'm sure you can see them there. The tread looks like rain drops.. Sort of.
I drove with them in the rain and they were great. Phydeaux had/has them? Hopefully he'll comment
Tristan

I do have them, and LOVE them.  I drive all the time, and have only encountered one issue in wet weather (light drizzle on sealed asphault during my first auto-x, so it doesn't really count).  I am even considering a set for the Subaru Tribeca when it's time to replace.

Costco had the BFG KDW-2 for $134/each mounted and balanced.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:25am
I'm looking at that wear pattern, and I'm wondering if there is some kind of alignment issue happening.  Can someone more knowledgeable than me comment on that, maybe?

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:34am
Phydeax, Was that tire price including tax? Are you refering to the pictures about the tire wear?
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:41am
No, that was before tax.  It was also just over a year ago, so that may change things.

And yes, I am referring to the photos Brenda included.  It looks like the inside shoulder of the tires is a lot more worn than the outside.  I was initially thinking underinflation, but that wear pattern would show differently than what Brenda has going on.  I'm thinking that the alignment may be off?

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:42am
I agree and was going to comment about that too. Definitely would get a good alignment job after you get your tires so they don't continue to wear like that.
'80 Mini English White
MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 3:02am
I can bet the tire Brenda showed in the photo came from the right rear....the right rear has a tendency to be a off on the camber.  There may some negative camber action happening on most MINIs'.  That is a problem on my MCSC and the new alignement has not happened yet. 
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 3:43am
Good point Dave. Looks like it's the inside of teh tire too which would make sense with too much negative camber in the rear. Brenda..is your car lowered? If so, you most likely will want to get some adjustable lower control arms to dial out some of that negative camber...not really any adjustment in the rear if it get's out of whack from lowering.
'80 Mini English White
elevenless View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 4:47am
Last fall I was looking for good all-seasons and based on a Nov '06 Consumer Reports ended up getting ContiExtremeContact's from TireRack. Had them mounted at Omni here in Kirkland for ~$100. I used them as my everyday tire in between track days. They worked great up in the snow during snowboarding season and have been impressed with them in the rain.
'02 EB MCS, SS lines, racing pads (varies often since I go through them so fast), Direzza Star Specs, and finally a 15% pulley
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 11:30am
I can see the alignment issue. The Yellow 03' MCS was a negitive 3 on one side and a negative 1 degree on the other side. So that is a very possible situation!
Tristan
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by MINI-Rolls MINI-Rolls wrote:

I can bet the tire Brenda showed in the photo came from the right rear....the right rear has a tendency to be a off on the camber.  There may some negative camber action happening on most MINIs'.  That is a problem on my MCSC and the new alignement has not happened yet. 

Actually the tire with the odd wear was off the right front, and "no" I haven't had my car lowered... I've thought about it, but haven't done it yet.  Wink 

I've got mixed reviews on some of the tires that have been recommended.  I'm a bit frustrated trying to figure out what'll work best for me.  Confused  I've got winter/snow tires, so I'd like to go with something that does well in the summmer and fall/spring rain.  Is there such a tire that has good traction on wet and dry conditions?  I'd be happy if they'd last 30,000 miles. 

Edited by Hapa Haole - August/05/08 at 2:37pm
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Wildfamily Wildfamily wrote:

I agree and was going to comment about that too. Definitely would get a good alignment job after you get your tires so they don't continue to wear like that.
I'm definitely gonna have an alignment...  Great suggestion Martin.  Thumbs%20Up  However, I have been good about rotating my tires every 5,000 - 7,000 miles.  It seems kinda odd that one tire decided to wear like that.  Maybe it's possible it was defective from the start?

Edited by Hapa Haole - August/05/08 at 2:14pm
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by phydeaux phydeaux wrote:

Costco had the BFG KDW-2 for $134/each mounted and balanced.
You are correct... I had the price wrong.  They are $134 each.  Unfortunately, only the Costco in Aurora had them in stock (or so they thought).  Too bad I live so far south...
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 2:51pm
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 3:25pm
Hapa Haole, Go to  the TireRack website and take a look at what other Mini owners have to say. All seem to give favorable reports on the tire. Looking at some of the sites you mentioned you will notice they refer to what the "Tire Rack" will say about them. Also Good Year at the Tire Rack has a $50.00 rebate program on them at a reasonable price too. I would not be afraid of this tire, sounds pretty good. I think you have been going up to many cloverleaf off-ramps backwards, sounds like alignment time. I used to get my alignments done with me sitting in the car, course that was a race car that never had passengersSmile. Again, read the TireRack report, Not a bad tire. Keep us posted, Bill
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 3:37pm

Bill,

Interesting reading considering all the remarks are from MINI owners.  Thanks for the idea to look at specifically MINI owners experiences with various tire manufacturers.  The reviews are kinda all over the place when it comes to the Goodyear Eagles F1.  Discount Tire gave me a price quote of $626 (mounting, balancing and tax).  Not too bad I guess.  Now I just gotta figure out if I want a "summer" tire vs. an "all season".  Confused

Thank you for your prompt replies,
Brenda
Red Dwarf View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/08 at 3:46pm
That's not a bad price from Discount Tire when it includes balancing and tax, you could ask them about the $50.00 rebate from Goodyear or was that included? It can be very confusing, I used to live on the rainy side(Bellingham) and used Yokohoma ES100's  , and they were good tires all around on my wifes Miata, mine too, we were a 2 Miata family. They have since been replaced by the Yoko "S" series which I'm not to familiar with. The Mid Columbia Mini Club is having thier meeting on Thursday, and I'm gonna do some ridin and checkin as we are reday for new shoes on the Mini. Ha. Nite, Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>