Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Indie shop recommendations - Eastside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Indie shop recommendations - Eastside
    Posted: January/23/15 at 8:42am
Hi there -

have my original 2003 JCW S and issues with power in low gears on acceleration.  Could be clutch, supercharger pully slip, fuel (unlikely), ignition (equally unlikely).  Only 63k miles (I know).  Would like to get recomendations for a local shop. 

I'm in Woodinville.

Cheers!

Dave
David & Linda
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 8:55am
Zhantech in Redmond. They are a sponsor of PSMINI. http://www.zahntechauto.com/
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 9:11am
Have you changed your belt?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 9:40am
Hi Rob - no, never changed the belt.  Was thinking maybe that's the first thing to do.
David & Linda
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 9:55am
I am not a 'shop' per se but I'm in the Bothell/Woodinville area and have worked on the R50/R52/R53 cars a LOT, including at least a half dozen clutch replacements, an engine swap and an engine rebuild.

I'd be happy to take a look and take a shot at diagnosing where your problem is.
I am generally available on weekends - you can send me email at kurt (at) hammondjp Dot com if you're interested.

Cheers,
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 10:44am
Yes.  The last time I changed mine, I could actually feel the difference in the butt dyno.

I have a belt tool you can borrow or you are welcome to come here and do it.  Not many tools needed.

On the other hand, if it might be other probems, Kurt is the wizard on this block.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 11:18am
Thanks Gordon, Kurt and Rob! 
I have a little travel coming up and life's too complicated to fix this until it's done but late February I would definitely apprecaite the help that's been offered.

I think a belt change is the first logical step so Rob and Kurt, I'll be in touch.

Best wishes!

Dave

David & Linda
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 1:26pm
Dave, it's really great to see you back on the forums!  It's been a long time!
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 3:50pm

Status update:

Not sure it's the belt unfortunately.  I managed to get the car to throw some codes (P1689 and P0301 - maybe more.  Car went into limp home mode so I was going to park it down in Woodinville.  When I turned the ignition off and back on the engine ran a little better - enough that I could get home.  Car now parked in my garage.

Unhappy

Dave

David & Linda
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by Escape Pod Escape Pod wrote:

Dave, it's really great to see you back on the forums!  It's been a long time!

:-)  Thanks!!  Sorry for being away so long.  My car literally went nowhere in a whole year and then I started driving it again a few months ago.

David & Linda
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 3:55pm

P1689 - No communication between ECM & Injection Pump Module. This is why it's a hard start and the peddle isn't acting like it should. There's a problem where the (Computer) ECM, isn't making contact with the Injection Pump module. So the computer doesn't know what the pump is doing or sending. Could be a cut in the wires, corrosion, etc.. So many things it could be, fuel pressure is low. 

Well that would explain something maybe.

David & Linda
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 4:02pm

Just noticed that code interpretation isn't for my vehicle.  Time to google again.

David & Linda
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 4:18pm

Reports on NAM of replacing throttle bodies for this particular problem . . . .  Threads suggest exact symptoms I'm experiencing.

David & Linda
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 5:25pm

Could be throttle body but I understand that code is intermittent in nature. We can check general health of the car and clear codes and adaptations and see how it goes along. 

I'll stop by Sunday. 

PS: This forum is strange, it intermittently gives me no notification of new postings - plus, I can view but cannot respond to posts with Apple Safari (permissions error from the forum) and I'm not the only one with this problem. I wonder if it will ever be fixed by the vendor.

Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Could be throttle body but I understand that code is intermittent in nature. We can check general health of the car and clear codes and adaptations and see how it goes along. 

Cool!  I can drive as it is right now so I'd be happy to head your way too - let me knw.  I'll e-mail you my address.

David & Linda
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/15 at 5:58pm
That would work better if possible, as all my tools are here. Cheers,
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/15 at 8:13am
Getting great help from Kurt!  Thanks everyone!!
David & Linda
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/15 at 10:43pm
Dave is all sorted out. The problem was a broken spring inside the supercharger cutoff (bypass) valve. New BPV valve and everything is good to go. 

Watch the Mod MINI repair video here: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-QevsM4QI

Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/15 at 6:50pm

Huge props to Kurt - the man's a genius!!!

Car is running grrr-eat!!!

(just watched the video - dang that's complicated!)

Edited by Dave - February/13/15 at 7:13pm
David & Linda
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/15 at 8:09pm

+1 for Kurt - another MINI owner rescued.

So Dave - will we be seeing you at any events this year?

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/15 at 9:11pm
Could be . . .
David & Linda
 Post Reply Post Reply