Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New clutch recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoopieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New clutch recommendations?
    Posted: October/04/12 at 12:47pm
So it feels like I'll be needing a new clutch.  It's starting to slip when the throttle is floored.  No slip if lightly throttled.  I'm not sure how much longer it will last.  I plan on doing the work myself as I have another vehicle to use, lots of time, and no $$$.  I've done other clutches but no FWD cars. I've read ALL of the threads out there already, thank you for all the info and links (corners I might pm you about that sweet engine bracket.  I have an engine hoist but I like the idea of not having the wheels under the car, easier to work). 
In addition to the clutch and throw out I also plan on replacing the control arm bushings(pre-pressed).  So my question is what clutch to get?  I don't track the car.  It has 60K with a factory LSD.  It has similar engine mods as CornerS so I'm leaning towards an OEM clutch assuming my flywheel is good.  If the flywheel is bad and I have to spend $700 for a new one I'd start considering an OS Giken GT or other brand and deal with the extra noise.  Any suggestions? 
Thanks. 
06 MCS RMW BVH, Street cam, RCA, coolant tank & Tune/Dinan CAI/Alta 15%V2/Dinan exhaust & ST/OS Giken GT/Carbon fiber/MOMO/BC coilover/swift
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/12 at 1:42pm
Just put in the stock clutch.

If you have time, you could crack open before ordering parts and inspect the flywheel. If it is bad, get the Valeo kit that Way Motor Works sells.
Same feel as stock but cheaper. Note that the Valeo clutch must be used with the Valeo flywheel. Same for stock.

For 60K, the flywheel is probably in good shape still.

You need to use an engine bracket. You cannot remove the transmission when the wheels are on the car.

Post Reply Post Reply