Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership - New Member Introductions > Let Me Introduce Myself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner
    Posted: January/03/16 at 3:06pm
Hello all,

New Mini Owner here,

Wife an I bought a 2006 cooper s with automatic trans,
not our first choice but I suffer from CPS and shoulder pain and cant shift with out causing more pain.

anyhow we are loving the car so far,

I am looking forward to some great information,
Thanks all!
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/16 at 7:53am
Congrats and welcome to the club. Check out our PSMINI facebook page too! Hope to see you at a future event!
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/16 at 8:02am
WELCOME! NICE looking MINI!  Tongue 
lyestille View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/16 at 10:29am
Thanks!

I don't do face book, my wife does though and I will have her join it.
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/16 at 11:11am
Welcome to the family.  We are just up the road in Parkland.  Look for a Laser Blue 2007 with roof racks....but wave quick because I drive it like I stole it!

Bryan
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/16 at 12:59pm
You forgot to add " . . . and lots of checkerboards!"  Big smile
lyestille View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/16 at 5:29pm
so I took the car in for the passenger air bag recall thing and found out that it needs just over 3k in work if they do it,

crank position sensor O ring, oil pan gasket, both lower control arm bushings, power steering line reservoir to pump and the line from the reservoir to rack, oil filter housing gasket, right engine mount,

So yea FML look like I bought a money pit......
lyestille View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/16 at 5:29pm
O and its only got 72k miles........
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/16 at 6:39am
Kurt Hammond, Corners here on this forum can help with a lot of that stuff if not all.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
lyestille View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/16 at 7:32am
I will have to get in touch with him,
I have been watching his videos the last few days.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/16 at 7:32am
It will cost a fraction of that if you do it yourself or go to an indi shop. Dealer does great work but the cost for it is very high. Lots of labor cost in there.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
lyestille View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/16 at 4:57pm
yea that's what I figured, I was looking at some of the parts and they arnt that bad of a cost.
the problem with doing it myself is my chronic pain syndrome stops or limits the amount of work I can do at any given time. hell it took me a few hrs just to change 2 bulbs and the air filter that was a few days ago and I am still feeling it today.

but we have plenty of transportation so it sitting isn't that big of a deal just hard for me to deal with mentally because I end up feeling like a failure for not being able to complete a job that I in the past would have had no problem doing.  and I despise asking for help on something that I know how to do and what not. anyhow enough about me whining,

I am taking it to the dealer we bought it at to see if they are willing to fix some of the problems if not all of them, I have already talked a bit with them and showed them the list of issues the mini dealer found and they seem more than willing to work with us on it. but I don't expect much,
so depending what they decide on Monday then I will have a better idea of what I will need to do, then I can start buying parts and getting ahold of Corners to see what he can do and costs and what not.

Anyway Thanks for the great info so far guys and thanks for making us feel at home here.

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/16 at 11:42am
Don't beat yourself up about not being able to do certain things anymore.  Changes happen, and you've found the right group of people- MINI owners are generally very helpful to each other about car stuff.

Whatever you do, stay away from the OEM control arm bushings.  They were a design compromise to address perceived ride and handling issues.  The soft rubber they are made of wears poorly and they need to be replaced often.  Even in the best of circumstances they last only 40-50k miles.  If you see a MINI on the road and the front tires are bouncing backwards all the time, it means that the control arm bushings are worn.  I see a yellow R50 go by me on Admiral Way all the time with the wheels flopping backwards on every little bump and traffic turtle and it kills me because I know the car is handling sloppy as compared to new and extra stress and wear is being put on all the other components.  I'm sure the ball joints on that car look like my mom's knees.

The solution is to get the pre-pressed PowerFlex bushings from Way Motor Works.  The ride and handling get a little stiffer (and better, IMHO) and they are practically a lifetime fix for the problem.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
lyestille View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/16 at 5:56pm
Thanks for the info Bruce,

I have gathered that the mini group is a good bunch of ppl so far,
lyestille View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyestille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/16 at 6:06pm
Is there a better upper motor mount than the stock one ?
I cant seem to find anything but stock.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/16 at 11:40am
What Bruce said.  I did the power flex myself. Not the easiest but a doable job.  The improvement is nothing short of amazing.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/16 at 11:03pm
Those are all common issues for a Gen 1 MINI of that age / with that mileage. Let me know if you want help. (aka Corners / aka Mod MINI) 

Car won't die by the side of the road but they are pesky things that may get worse over time. 

I could knock all of that stuff out in a day. PM or email kurt @ hammond jp . com

Edited by CORNERS - January/11/16 at 11:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply