FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew tires and wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tires and wheels
    Posted: March/26/07 at 5:00am
Ever since I mentioned the reduced state of the run-flats, Deanne seems to be OK with me getting new tires and wheels.  So, I wanted to pose the question here, what should I be looking at for MINI shoes, and what should I stay away from?  I mentioned previously the KDW-2's, but the road noise issue might be significant enough to shy away from them, much as I like the look.

Looking at edgeracing.com, I find either the Hankook Ventis Sport, and Toyo Proxes 4 tires.  Of course, tirerack.com has a whole host of tires to choose from. 

Reviews I found on the Hankook are tending toward the "not favorable" side.  The Toyo sound like many like that one.

If there are other sites that people would recommend, I'd be more than happy to follow some links.  Tristan, does MINI Madness make tires, too?  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
motoring View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/07 at 6:30am
I have Kumho Ecsta SPT  and really like them, quiet, excellent wet grip very good dry grip.   And not break the bank expensive.
Keith
02 IB/W MC with the really big checkered flag on top - GONE
07 MY/B MCS with some sort of stripes or something
jeff2 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/07 at 8:52am
I love the Toyo's.
03 MCS- DDM intake, OMP STB, Alta rear sway, Koni Coilovers, H-sport front sway bar, Alta 15% V.2, Alta exhaust, Alta end links, D.T. B.V. M7 DFIC, Madness Uss,Alta S.S., RMW header and tune
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/07 at 9:41am
I too have to Toyo's and really like them.  They grip nicely and are not to noisey.  It is amazing the difference between runflats and regular tires - you will notice immediately.  Good luck in your search.
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/07 at 1:13pm

Phydeaux,

Are you looking for summer performance tires or a good all season performance tire?  I've got Avon Tech M550 All Season performance tires which have been great all winter except in the snow.  Here's a link  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&ti reModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS .  Also, I've shared this link before, but it's worth checking out when you narrow down your wheel choices.  You can increase HP and improve mileage going with lightweight wheels.  This website gives the weights for many common wheels. http://www.wheelweights.net/ .

Edited by hip check - March/26/07 at 1:13pm
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/07 at 11:25pm
Actually, I hadn't seen that wheelweights.net URL yet.  Must have missed that thread somehow.

My thinking is to get a mostly summer performance tire/wheel combo, and swap to the winter set when the frost starts to become a daily occurance.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/07 at 3:32pm

Phydeaux

I didn't notice any extra road noise from my KDW's on my MC. I did however on the MCSC that I drove to AMVIV and back this past week. I heard all kinds of noises that weren't the tires though so I'm not 100% on that.

Good Luck "Shoe Shopping"(Scrubs) and Motor On!

MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
GoMiniGo View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/07 at 2:38pm

If you want, you can ride in mine with the KDWs.   Depends on the road, but the noise is there.

Tristan - was your MC with KDW on 17's?

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/07 at 2:47pm
I'm riding on 16's....e
I'm going to search for my write up/thread when I 1st had them installed...
Motor On!
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/07 at 3:13pm
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/07 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by GoMiniGo GoMiniGo wrote:

If you want, you can ride in mine with the KDWs.   Depends on the road, but the noise is there.

I just may take you up on that next event we're both at.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/07 at 4:25am

I now have KDWs on my car on 17's. You're welcome to try it as well.  I'm on the Eastside.

I love these tires.  I honestly don't notice any more road noise than the runflats.

Todd

EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/07 at 5:48am

I have KDWs on 17's also. There is a noticeable hum on the freeway but the convertible tends to be noisier in general. I went with the 215/40's

Coll

msh441 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/07 at 7:11am

Originally posted by motoring motoring wrote:

I have Kumho Ecsta SPT  and really like them, quiet, excellent wet grip very good dry grip.   And not break the bank expensive.

I bought a set of these for the Volvo when I needed a quick set of inexpencive 17's after a wheel swap.

I was pleasantly suprised in the ride quality of this tire based on the price.

I would easily consider getting another set.

2007 DS/W R56S JCW - "Prince William"
Oz2001 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/07 at 12:50pm
Kumho Ecsta SPT... Where do you reccomend picking up a set?

MINI OZ
Performance Spring Set; Koni Adjustable Struts and Shocks; 19mm Adjustable Rear Anti-roll Bar; Front Camber Plates; Dinan's Strut Tower Brace, Free Flow Exhaust, High Flow Cowl Induction System
Mgibrace View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/07 at 11:20pm

HI guys,

New to forum, with a car pending......  I've got 2 sets of Goodyear F1 D3 s and they're a great tire.  Occ on sale at tirerack.  My wife's wrx has has both the kuhmo SPTs and the Goodyears and she prefers the Goodyears.  Great rain tire also.

Mark

GUMBY LIVES View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/07 at 5:33am

Hey folks GUMBY here.

Sunday night on I-90 at 75 MPH my passenger side front tire blew-out 1 mile away from exit 31 in north bend so i drove the mile at 50 + MPH off the freeway assesed the issue at the local shell station then drove a mile or so to take my daughters to their house and put that pathetic donut on how embarasing back on I-90 to go home my speedometer went dead so i pulled off the freeway to find my brakes malfunctioning I then nursed it to a freinds house close by and camped out till morning and had my cooper flatbed towed to Fife there was a 8-10" gash on the inside wall of my tire with a wire/steel belt hanging out when I removed my tire I noticed there was something inside.

the service department put a new tire on but said when the tire blew it blew out my sensor and they needed to keep my car and order the part. I know for a fact I didn't hit anything and I think my sensor blew and blew out my tire but won't know for sure till I pick up my car.

The loaner they gave me is a 07 cooper and I'm glad I didn't wait for the 07 my 06 is much better especially the stereo..

wow huh.

Byrne Kelly Jr AKA GUMBY
'06'Astro Blk Met/Slver MC w/silver flames Sport Pkg HK stereo Magnaflo Exhaust Alta Lowering Kit"NOTPOKY" plates.

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/07 at 5:52am
Yikes.  What a series of events.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/07 at 6:23am

Wow indeed.  I doubt the sensor would do in your tire but I wonder what really happened.  A failure such as you describe is really strange. 

Did you have any indication of low pressure?  Have you checked your pressures lately since the pressure sensor really only displays relative pressure changes so if all tire pressures go down equally, no low pressure indicator is given.

What did you see inside?  It might have been the sensor after the flapping tire parts hit it. 

I'm assuming these were run flats.  How did the car handle under that circumstance?

Inquiring minds....

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/07 at 7:24am

They are Goodyear Run Flats that came on the car new when i bought it.

I just got off the phone with the service dept. and they claim what was inside my tire were parts of the tire. And for some time my flat tire indicator has been lit up and I have been checking my tires daily but vissually not with a gage perhaps that was the problem i really don't know.

how did it handle?

well my first feeling was it felt like i was on a bumpy road so i changed lanes then felt the same vibration in that lane so i moved over one more about then my daughter asked me what the smell was ithe smell of rubber we then heard the flap flap flap sound of a normal flat tire she looked out the window and confirmed the tire was flat

I drove at approx 50 MPH to get to the off ramp.

What a trip

Byrne Kelly Jr AKA GUMBY
'06'Astro Blk Met/Slver MC w/silver flames Sport Pkg HK stereo Magnaflo Exhaust Alta Lowering Kit"NOTPOKY" plates.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/07 at 7:33am

That's how I figured out how the run flat indicator works.  No low tire light, must be ok right?  If they all lose pressure at the same rate, no flat is indicated even though the pressure may be very low.  First time I checked mine, the pressure was down to 24.  Have a good guage now.

Glad everyone was safe.

scary

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
msh441 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/07 at 10:48am
Originally posted by byrne kelly jr byrne kelly jr wrote:

They are Goodyear Run Flats that came on the car new when i bought it.

...for some time my flat tire indicator has been lit up and I have been checking my tires daily but vissually not with a gage perhaps that was the problem i really don't know.

Yes, the sidewall of a run flat tire is designed NOT TO BOW OUT when there's a lack of air pressure.  When your run flat light comes on... a visual inspection is not enough, since since it will not show signs of being flat.

What it will do, however, is build up heat... really, really fast.  Once it's run hot enough, long enough... well... BOOM!!!

Sounds like a scary learning experience.  Now you know.  Glad no one was hurt and there's no bent metal.  From now on trust your gauges and warning lights.

Oh, and when I got my car serviced this week, I got an '06 Cooper convertible as a loaner... I'm SO GLAD I HUNG OUT FOR THE '07 COOPER S!!!  It's so much better!  Handling, the lounge leather seats, especially the power & bottom end torque!

(please note, this was meant ONLY as a fun retort to the earlier quip about the R56 - I actually enjoyed the convertible for the day.  A fun change, really)

Edited by msh441 - May/08/07 at 2:18pm
2007 DS/W R56S JCW - "Prince William"
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/07 at 3:19am

Thanks MSH441 for the words of advice it's all comming back to me why they used to call them IDIOT lights I now have a gage and plan to use it.

And after driving the "07" loaner they gave me i do agree with your impression of your "07" COOPER S it did take me a little bit to get use to the changes.

See ya on the road.

Byrne Kelly Jr AKA GUMBY

HighBid View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/07 at 11:11am
Re: the original question, we just put a set of Toyo Proxes T1-Rs on Kelley's car and I am very happy. Friends have them too on other rides and are equally happy. Probably my 10th set of Toyos from the gang at Schwab and they have always treated me right.
GP0223 Rec'd Monterey 8/18
Well Modded! I Think it's time to go racing! [IMG]http://home.earthlink.net/~frogwa/signature.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply