Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New tires, but not sure if we like them... Help!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New tires, but not sure if we like them... Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy_Jenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tires, but not sure if we like them... Help!
    Posted: October/10/11 at 8:51pm
Hi everyone!  Sorry we haven't been around much - the new baby keeps us busy and he doesn't like to nap! I am hoping once he's a little bigger, I can cart him around in the mini instead of the outback :)  His 6 months already - I can't believe how fast time flies!

Anyways, we recently replaced our runflats with Zexius tires from Les Schwab.  They seemed okay initially but they seem a little squirrley on wet roads (and tis the season for those!).  Jared and I would like to know what people are going with these days for a good performance all-season tire.  And what's your take with Les Schwab?  Yay or nay?

Thanks so much and have a great day!

Jenny :)

Edited by Dizzy_Jenny - October/10/11 at 8:53pm
Jenny and Jared

03/MCS/Dark Silver/White Top/White Sport Stripes... otherwise known as Stella :)
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/11 at 9:30pm
I know a lot of people are really happy with the Continental DWS tire.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 4:31am
The Continental DWS will be my next all season tire.  I have Bridgestone RE-960(on my MINI "S") and they are OK.  We have General Ultimax All Season HP tires on our Cooper and they handle OK but are noisy.  We switch back and forth when it is going to get cold and icy/snowy and put on Bilzzaks on the Cooper(I REALLY LIKE THEM!)and on the "S" I use Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3's and they are OK but the Blizzaks work a little better on ice otherwise I like the Dunlop's very much.

Les Schwab?  It depends on which one.  Our local one I would not trust with a wheel barrow tire!

Edited by SMOG - October/11/11 at 4:48am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
FIZGIG View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIZGIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 4:43am
I just bought the Continental DWS and they are like driving on dry pavement when the rain is coming down.   Not cheap but a very very good tire.Thumbs Up
Sometimes I wish I were catholic. I don't know why?
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 4:49am
How quiet are the DWS compared to what you drove before(and what were those?)?.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 8:52am
I put the DWS on my 17" wheels when I first bought my Clubman.  I love the wet traction but was REALLY disappointed with the sidewall flex.  They made for a great ride, low noise, really good overall traction, yet when I threw the car into a corner I could feel the sidewall roll and flex.  The are really good for straight line traction though.  With the JCW I could spin the RF tires on the freeway if I dropped from 5th to 4th to pass (which was scary when it happened).

I plan to keep the DWS as my "winter" tire. 

I put the Hancook V12 on my 18" R105 wheels.  I absolutely love these tires.  They're a summer tire but are by far THE BEST tire I've ever had.  Grippy, predictable, quiet, so far they do everything (except the cold and snow of course Wink).

Todd

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 9:49am
Sounds like the DWS would be great for the around town roller and for long trips, but not lead footing it around corners.

My RE-960, 215x45x17 Bridgestones don't seem to flex.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 10:12am
DWS, 215x45x17,

I had these on when I ran Maryhills Loop, they proformed great for a hard compound  high mileage tire. I didn"t feel any sidewall flex Todd, size and pressure are you running?

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 2:13pm
Tire pressure and rim width can make big differences...
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

DWS, 215x45x17,

I had these on when I ran Maryhills Loop, they proformed great for a hard compound  high mileage tire. I didn"t feel any sidewall flex Todd, size and pressure are you running?

John

The same.  At first ran 36 and then tried messing around with it.  I believe they had 38 when I had them on last.

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 3:13pm
Maybe it is the extra weight/length of the Clubman?
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 5:31pm
Or the lead in the drver's foot?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

tyintegra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 9:10pm
We have the Continental DWS on our 2006 MCS and absolutely love them. We have done a couple of track days with them (including Mary Hill Loops Road) and they were amazing. When people talk about how soft the sidewalls are, most people are comparing them to the stock run flats which have a very stiff sidewall because they are made to run with no air in them. Compared to a normal tire though they are probably still a little softer but still perform very well. Comparatively the Bridgestone Ultra High Performance All-Season tires (mentioned above) are also very good tires and also very quite (I had these on a previous car) but they are significantly more expensive and I honestly like the DWS way better and the cost savings doesn't hurt. I know lots of people that have the DWS on their cars and everyone loves them.
"Do these stripes make me look fast?"

- 2006 Cooper S (ACTL SZ plates), Red w/ white top, White Bonnet Stripes, Sun roof, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Premium Package, checkered mirror
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/11 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

Or the lead in the drver's foot?

Oh come on now Jack, it could be the size 13 shoe causing that!

All in all they're a great tire for what they are, an all season.  I can't think of another I'd rather have in that category.  Compared to the V12, they have a softer sidewall.

Todd

LIVESTRONG
Zippy View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/11 at 4:44pm
I just got a set of bridgestone potenza RE960AS RF to replace my goodyears.
They are softer than the goodyears but fell like they hold up in the corners. I have not really tested them yet. They definalty do better in the wet than new GY's. They also have a 40K tread life warranty, something Gy does not offer. 76K miles and 3 sets of GY. They are however noisy in a tight, slow corner. Something the GY's would only do when they were close to the wear indicators.
06 MCS Royal Gray, MINI Fini Sportlink - Mostly Harmless
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/11 at 5:58pm
I had the Ziex and didn't like them. The lack of a rim guard led to curb rash even though I was uber careful. I tried to switch to the DWS's, but I waited 4months while they were on back order from tire rack.com. Finally I gave up and went with the Potenza's Zippy mentions above. I'm pretty happy with them after 8 months.

Mitch
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
FIZGIG View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIZGIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/11 at 8:30pm
The DWS's are really not much louder than the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires I took off but they are 2 totally different tires.
Sometimes I wish I were catholic. I don't know why?
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/11 at 9:25pm
While we're talking about tires, the Direzzas that FIGZIG mentions are the world's best summer/performance tire, in case anyone is interested. These tires stick like nothing else. They do fairly well in the wet as well. 
I have them now and intend to run them as late into the winter as possible. 

Beno View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/13 at 5:48pm
I live in western Wa. I too ditch the run flats, replacing  them with Michelin Pilot Sport AS. I didn't care for the hard ride of the RF... I found them to be rather squirrelly.

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/13 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

While we're talking about tires, the Direzzas that FIGZIG mentions are the world's best summer/performance tire, in case anyone is interested. These tires stick like nothing else. They do fairly well in the wet as well. 
I have them now and intend to run them as late into the winter as possible. 

I dunno, the Conti DW was a pretty close match for your Dunlops =)

Dizzy_jenny, I'm selling a set of Bridgestone RE970AS pole position tires, all 4, only 2100 miles on them. Let me know if you're interested.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/13 at 11:05pm
This is affectionately what I call a "Zombie post" since the last post, before today, was from October '11 and now the thread is back from the dead. But, since we are talking ultra high performance tires and I've been researching those and I have a question for CORNERS I'll feed the Zombie.

The GPII comes with Kumho Ecsta V700's. You actually sign a waiver to drive the GP off the lot with these things mounted. They are DOT approved but are essentially an autocross tire. You can read more about them Here. Now, the V700s are a lot of fun (or should be, it's not really be warm enough to "test" them). But, rumors abound that using these on the street will give you a lifespan of about 5000 miles and that's expensive. So, I'll be replacing them very soon. I actually want to pull them before they wear completely down. That means I'm researching ultra high performance summers.

My current summer tires of choice are the Bridgestone RE-11s and I love them. They are good on the dry, they exceeded my expectations in the rain, and they provide predictable performance down to about 40 degrees so I actually get to use them more than 6 months around here. I'd get a set of RE-11a's for the GP except Bridgestone does not make them for the wider 215/40R17 GP wheel.

So what does come in that size? It just so happens the updated Dunlop to CORNER's favorite Direzza ZI Star Spec, the Direzza ZII, is available in that size. Mr. CORNER's is your opinion of the Direzza the same after a few years? The TireRack review of the ZII says it's a much better tire then the ZI.
Saphire View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saphire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/13 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

This is affectionately what I call a "Zombie post" since the last post, before today, was from October '11 and now the thread is back from the dead. But, since we are talking ultra high performance tires and I've been researching those and I have a question for CORNERS I'll feed the Zombie.

The GPII comes with Kumho Ecsta V700's. You actually sign a waiver to drive the GP off the lot with these things mounted. They are DOT approved but are essentially an autocross tire. You can read more about them Here. Now, the V700s are a lot of fun (or should be, it's not really be warm enough to "test" them). But, rumors abound that using these on the street will give you a lifespan of about 5000 miles and that's expensive. So, I'll be replacing them very soon. I actually want to pull them before they wear completely down. That means I'm researching ultra high performance summers.

My current summer tires of choice are the Bridgestone RE-11s and I love them. They are good on the dry, they exceeded my expectations in the rain, and they provide predictable performance down to about 40 degrees so I actually get to use them more than 6 months around here. I'd get a set of RE-11a's for the GP except Bridgestone does not make them for the wider 215/40R17 GP wheel.

So what does come in that size? It just so happens the updated Dunlop to CORNER's favorite Direzza ZI Star Spec, the Direzza ZII, is available in that size. Mr. CORNER's is your opinion of the Direzza the same after a few years? The TireRack review of the ZII says it's a much better tire then the ZI.
Saphire View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saphire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/13 at 7:13pm
Hi Ryan,

I have been watching the Michelin Pilot Super Sport's.   Top rated in its class.  Slightly different size, not sure how significant the difference.   Let us know which way you jump, and a comparison review?  Les

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/13 at 7:29pm
I love my direzzas and I think you will too. They are a little hard in the winter and would be terrible on snow or ice but have decent wet traction as long as you are careful when it is cold out.

The wear rating is around 200 I think which is not too bad for their performance.

I say go for them.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/13 at 9:21pm
I've been leaning for the Direzzas for HUNKA, but that would mean I have to get some winter tires on my X-lites. I still think it is a win, but that means 2 sets of tires this year.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/13 at 10:44pm
I have the Pilot SS's right now, pretty damn nice tire, but for the money I'd say the Conti DW is just as good for a lot less $$. The Conti DW did AMAZING in the wet too, CORNERS knows from a little test driving.

And while they're not summer, I am selling a set of 215/45/17 Bridgestone 970AS Pole Position. I don't drive my car in the snow so didn't need an all season tire any more. 
 Post Reply Post Reply