Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Racing Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New track in Shelton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New track in Shelton
    Posted: March/03/11 at 11:48am
Ok all you track junkies. I have some information to share from friends of mine that are following this closely. I do not have the information source that it originally came from, so the best I can do is post a link to the thread on 6Speed where we're following it.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/northwest/231131-updated-images-new-track-washington.html

The special use permit hearing is on April 6th at 10AM. As I understand it, this is the last hurdle to clear before they can start building. A few of us are planning to be there and will grab some lunch afterwords.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/northwest/238022-lunch-shelton-new-race-track.html

-James
www.jboyerphotography.com

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 11:52am
James. thanks for the pics, yes we are following it, here is more info

Ridge Customers,

As we mentioned at the user group meetings we have one step to go with Mason County - the Special Use Permit Hearing.

The hearing is set for 10:00 AM on April 6th in the Mason County Commissioner's chambers at 411 North Fifth Street, Shelton, WA, 98584.

The hearing will be in front of an independent Special Use Hearings Examiner, who will set the conditions under which the facility can operate based on review of our application and the testimony at the hearing. The Special Use Hearings Examiner has ten days after the hearing to submit a ruling, after which construction can begin immediately!

We encourage you and as many people as possible to show support for the benefits of responsible usage of the Ridge Motorsports Park by attending the hearing. So come in force and let all the clubs and other user groups know.

As an example of our collective spending power to the Shelton community please consider having lunch at one the fine restaurants in downtown.  I will provide a list shortly.  Be sure to tell them why your eating lunch in Shelton by asking “ Have you heard about the Ridge?”

Thank you so much for all your support.

See you at the hearing!

RP

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 11:55am
Is there a thread going for this already? If so, we can close this one or merge it....
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 12:27pm
Nope you have the only one, that was off site info.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 12:51pm
James, do you want to carpool over there? I was thinking about going as well. 

Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 1:39pm
Sure. Keep in touch and we'll set it up....
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 9:28pm
Here is the previous link where this has been discussed....

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 9:33pm
Awesome. Let's get a bunch of people going on April 6th to show our support!

Edited by Hot Shot - March/03/11 at 9:33pm
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/11 at 5:14am
I think it would be great if a bunch of us went, but according to Bill Bauer from PCA (one of the original invitees), the hearing room only holds about 40 people.  Not sure if we would be left standing outside or other arrangements could be made, but with all the other clubs going (including drag racers and motorcycle groups), we might end up overwhelming the place.  Martin - maybe Fred could recommend to the Hearing Examiner that we meet in a high school gym...

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/11 at 10:35am
Fine with me if we don't need that many people. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/11 at 9:58am
We could attend this if I did not have to stand outside.  I am not well enough for that but another smiling face in a crowd supporting something positive for the total community would not hurt.  I was appalled that Kitsap County rejected a racing complex considering the way that people drive in this County (Kitsap).  Now there is a movement afoot to rekindle a road course and motocross course but they are behind Mason County in the race to get this effort going.

Go Mason!!!

S.

Edited by SMOG - March/08/11 at 9:59am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/11 at 8:37pm
Here the response from The Ridge Motorsports Group regarding hearing room accomodations:

Martin,

Here is the skinny on room.  The meeting chambers do in fact hold 40,
maybe 50, people.  At our other hearings, we have had people fill the
hall, the entrance chamber, and spill onto the streets.

I have requested a different venue (larger) we will see what comes of
that.  Other than that, I have requested video feeds from the Council
Chambers to the hall and back again.

I will let you know when I have a response one way or the other, but if
I get neither request fulfilled, well, you'll be hanging out with a
bunch of motorsports enthusiasts!

Rod

--
Rod Powell
The Ridge Motorsports Group, LLC
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/11 at 5:07am
M: Thanks for the update!

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/11 at 1:17pm
Christmas has come early for all of you track rats! Read on.....

To: pro3-racing@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:05:41 +0000
Subject: [pro3-racing] New track in Shelton is a go!

The final hurdle in the approval process for the Ridge Motorsports Park has been cleared.

It's difficult to overestimate the significance of this event. There have been countless attempts over the years to build a new race track of any kind, many have tried, and many have failed.

This will be the first new motorsports facility in the greater Puget Sound region in a generation or more, and it's owned, designed, and intended to be used by club racers.

Ground breaking begins today, grading by week's end. The objective is to be running test laps by late summer, and a full race schedule in 2012.

Congratulations to the regular guys that conceived, and then acheived!

Info: http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/

'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/11 at 1:20pm
Wow!  Finally something positive for the WestSound & SouthSound folksWooHoo.  With any luck it will take the wanna be racers off the street and put them on the Track.

S&L

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/11 at 2:21pm
Excellent news! I can't wait to hear about the final design and what events will be held on this brand new track. I hope there will be plenty of amateur days in addition to race events. 
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/11 at 2:29pm
 WooHoo DriveWooHoo
One good turn deserves another...and another...

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/11 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Excellent news! I can't wait to hear about the final design and what events will be held on this brand new track. I hope there will be plenty of amateur days in addition to race events. 
No worries. The track is specifically being built for track rats and amature racers. They will be catering to club track days, amature racing, drag racers and auto-X as well as driver education and such. The lead on this project is a real track rat and knows what we want and need.

Martin
'80 Mini English White
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/11 at 4:53pm

This is great news. Martin, you know I'll gladly be part of the TRACK TESTING TEAM LATER THIS YEAR!!!!!Drive

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/11 at 10:49am
Whoa! Take a look at these two videos and how much work they have alreayd accomplished! Really gives you a good idea of the scope of the site and the project!

'80 Mini English White
Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/11 at 12:34pm
Awesome!
-James

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/11 at 1:43pm
Wow, it's really happening. 
Seems like they are clearing a lot more trees than necessary - maybe they need to sell the wood to pay for all those bulldozers? 

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/11 at 3:21pm
I'm sure timber sales are part of the cost offset Kurt. Also the plan is to have lots of grassy run-off areas and we all know what happens when you hit grass...you speed up and go further, so don't want a big fir tree in your path. Actually, there is a wooded section that isn't cleared yet that will be part of the "wooded" section of the course so you will find that there is a wooded section of track and an open section of track in the finished product.
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/11 at 8:32pm
I was just looking at Google Maps satellite photos and noticed the State Patrol has a great looking track just down the road. Too bad we can't get them to rent that one out also! 

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/11 at 5:33am
It does look nice, but dreaming about government cooperation with it's people is just that, a dream.

S.

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/11 at 7:20am
I wouldn't be surprised if law enforcement doesn't end up renting the new track in the future. :)
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/11 at 7:26am
Now that would be great!!Thumbs Up, a chance to recover monies from Gov't...???

I noticed that their Track has more Twisties in it than the Ridge Track proposal/construction.

S.

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/11 at 11:19am
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

Now that would be great!!Thumbs Up, a chance to recover monies from Gov't...???

I noticed that their Track has more Twisties in it than the Ridge Track proposal/construction.

S.

That's probably because they have to practice chasing down drunk drivers and meth-heads who don't know how to drive in a straight line let alone a corner. LOL
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/11 at 11:28am
You are probably correct!  Practicing the PIT maneuver would be exciting if you didn't car about your vehicle.

S.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/11 at 2:51pm
I did PIT training with the South King County Trainer Task Force.  I was the rabbit.  Eventually, they asked me to act more like an untrained, dumb criminal and let it happen occasionally.  But it helped figure out how to PIT a driver who accelerates out of fear/adrenaline.  All I can say is don't try to run from a city police officer in S. King (Renton, Kent, Des Moines, Tukwila, Federal Way and Auburn).
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>