Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New wheel warning running 215's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/11 at 9:24am
Oh, I'll go look right now =)
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
nicknbecka View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicknbecka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/11 at 9:40am
The slime bottle has "TPMS Safe" stamped all over it, but even most cans of fix-a-flat say that now. I've only used it with non-TPMS tires so far. 
2007 AB/AB MCS w/ Chrome Line
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/11 at 9:44am
I asked TireRack about using Slime with the Beru TPMS system and they said that it rinse off easily when the tire is dismounted and will not plug up anything.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/11 at 9:47am
Awesome, well, costco doesn't have it so I'll look at Amazon and around locally.

Thanks guys!
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
tyintegra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/11 at 7:50pm
The Conti tires are awesome! I have written in a bunch of reviews about them. We have them on our Mini S, and Audi S4 and in both cases they handle amazingly well. I have had them in dry weather and they are still awesome. The improvement in noise and ride quality that you get over the runflats is WELL worth the little bit softer sidewall (even though I have not noticed this).

Tire Rack also has the 205/45-17 in stock again. Though I would still be a little weary of getting that size since they just came off of "out of stock" status and I would worry that they would run out again when I would need a replacement. We went with the 215s and there are no clearence issues at all.
"Do these stripes make me look fast?"

- 2006 Cooper S (ACTL SZ plates), Red w/ white top, White Bonnet Stripes, Sun roof, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Premium Package, checkered mirror
bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 2:08am

[quote]

Edited by bobbyd - March/11/11 at 11:04pm
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 9:06am
Wow, good info!  I do like all the features of the $80 kit, but yours looks like it does just the basic job of getting you back on the road.
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 10:06am

[quote]

Edited by bobbyd - March/11/11 at 11:05pm
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 1:02pm
Perfect.
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:04pm

Got the wheels and tires on stopped at Fred Myers and picked up a small compressor and green slime for $21.99 (cheap insurance).  There is no rubbing and I am getting a lot better traction. 

I got home and had to wash some of the stuff they use to put the tire on and decided to washed the whole car.  (Sorry it is my fault for the rain)  Then had to pick my son up from track practice and it started to rain then hale seemed to handle everything great.  The only problem I can see is the wheels are going to be a pain to clean.

Thanks for all the information and advice. BowDown

Edited by Slyderone - March/02/11 at 6:40pm
John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:10pm
Which tires did you end up with?
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:18pm
Conti DWS 215/45/17 on 17x7 MSW Type 20 BDC
(SLYDER1 plates)

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:28pm
Looking good. 

PS: They spelled "spare" wrong on the box. :-) 

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:34pm
Wonder why they did that?  

What are your initial reactions to the dws?
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:38pm

I took a hard corner with about a ¼ of hale on the ground and I had total control.  So far I really like them but I have only driven about 30 miles I will let you know after I get some windshield time.  Thanks.

(SLYDER1 plates)

PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:43pm

[quote]

Edited by bobbyd - March/11/11 at 11:02pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:43pm
New tires, especially 215s, and a wheel with a wider offset will really improve the traction. John, did you get the negative camber plates or are you still using the stock suspension components? 
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by bobbyd bobbyd wrote:

Spair is a play on the words Spare  and also indicates that the kit contains a pair of items. a smart pair of items. slime and compressor.

it looks rediculous but I guess its no more rediculous than $4 coffee in a mermaid cup.

Mmmm... Mermaid Coffee....Drool
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Slyderone Slyderone wrote:

Got the wheels and tires on stopped at Fred Myers and picked up a small compressor and green slime for $21.99 (cheap insurance).  There is no rubbing and I am getting a lot better traction.

Excellent!  That's the kit I want. 

Congrats on the wheels and tires.  I too am looking for new shows for the MINI and having a heck of a time finding the ones I planned to buy. 

Yours are looking good!  I have the same DWS and am impressed thus far although I'm looking forward to a warm dry day to really try them out.

Todd

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:53pm
Take the stuff out of the box and throw the box away. It looks like the stupid word is only on the box, so problem solved. :-) 
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

New tires, especially 215s, and a wheel with a wider offset will really improve the traction. John, did you get the negative camber plates or are you still using the stock suspension components? 

Stock, I've been thinking about the camber plates and a rear sway bar but I've been spending way too much money on the Mini and my wife is starting to notice...  I will keep my eyes open for a deal and hopefully I will have the cash in hand.  I am saving up for a Jan tune and all the talk of cam’s, injectors...  Do you ever get over the modification bug?

(SLYDER1 plates)

Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by bobbyd bobbyd wrote:

Spair is a play on the words Spare  and also indicates that the kit contains a pair of items. a smart pair of items. slime and compressor.

it looks rediculous but I guess its no more rediculous than $4 coffee in a mermaid cup.

Oh there are three things in the box you forgot the handy dandy pressure gauge because it’s not built in...

I am going to keep the spair in the box to keep things together but the box is going into my emergency kit so no one will see it and get confused.

(SLYDER1 plates)

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Slyderone Slyderone wrote:

Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Stock, I've been thinking about the camber plates and a rear sway bar but I've been spending way too much money on the Mini and my wife is starting to notice...  I will keep my eyes open for a deal and hopefully I will have the cash in hand.  I am saving up for a Jan tune and all the talk of cam’s, injectors...  Do you ever get over the modification bug?

Wife starting to notice eh... Uh oh. Modification bug? Not sure if ever possible to get completely over it. You can treat the symptoms, but there is no cure :-) 

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 7:15pm
Agreed, there is no cure, no matter what car you own.............ever.   Every car I've owned I've always done SOMETHING to it (I think the simplest thing I've ever done was install a euro light switch in my '97 Jetta GLX).  

It's in our blood =)
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/11 at 8:18pm
I wouldn't say the same for ANY car... 
I haven't done anything to our Honda Odyssey minivan. My wife has to drag me outside just to get me to wash it. I've briefly thought that the car would be more fun to drive if I got some lighter wheels for it, but then I said "what's the point?!"

tyintegra View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyintegra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 7:00am
You could make the van more fun to drive.....

You could throw a turbo in it, lower it, swap out the tranny for a 6MT, put some nice rims and high performance summer tires on it and go have a blast. AND... the wife will never notice that you ded anything to it.
"Do these stripes make me look fast?"

- 2006 Cooper S (ACTL SZ plates), Red w/ white top, White Bonnet Stripes, Sun roof, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Premium Package, checkered mirror
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 7:22am
Ok, what I meant was any car that is YOURS.  CORNERS is primarily your car...Coop is primarily MY car, the van is a family hauler.

Us gearheads have our own cars that are our projects, toys, happiness providers =)
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 10:29am
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

Ok, what I meant was any car that is YOURS.  CORNERS is primarily your car...Coop is primarily MY car, the van is a family hauler.

Us gearheads have our own cars that are our projects, toys, happiness providers =)

Defined in that way, you are absolutely correct :-) 
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/11 at 12:00pm
Not once did I ever think of the Honda as your car...CORNERS is your car =)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/11 at 8:49am
Did you send in for your movie camera?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>