Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Dealer Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norrhwest Mini

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claywiltre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norrhwest Mini
    Posted: September/14/12 at 2:57pm
Has anyone had issues at Northwest Mini? I've taken my car there since I purchased it & feel like the service is not up to par & some of the service advisors are kinda rude. I am thinking about changing to Seattle Mini & making the drive North. Thank you in advance for your input.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/12 at 5:58pm
Seatle Mini is the dealership that sponsors the club. I think you will find mixed feeling about Northwest Mini. I perfer Seattle Mini myself but keep in mind no dealer is perfect. It also pays to be an informed Mini owner and paying club member. I think that it's good for owners to get on a site like ours and ask question about what going on what could be the issue etc. Becuase reguardless of which dealership you use or like it pays to be well informed.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/12 at 8:36pm
you have to be careful about any dealer. I've got an understanding with Bert at NW MINI. I don't go in for too much, but after they putzed around for way too long on what I thought was a pretty obvious head gasket, that then cost me a  head replacement on my 2005 Justa they have been very polite to us. Even giving us loaners for oil changes on the Coupe when it "isn't policy". 

I think they are pretty competent as dealers go. My other experiences are Honda and Dodge. Both those dealers make the MINI dealer seem like gods from heaven. I will never by either a Honda or Dodge again because of my service experiences.

If it is something you can't do yourself and you are out of warranty, some place like Zhantech is the place to go. I had great experience with them when they did the bushings on Flames.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/12 at 9:17pm
John - I think it is important to clarify one point:  Seattle MINI is one of many sponsors of PSMINI - They are all listed on the splash page for PSMINI:  http://www.psmini.org/   While PSMINI has an excelent relationship with Seattle MINI and they are very supportive of our members and events, they do not have any exclusive rights or influence on the club. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/12 at 10:02pm
Very right Jack if your not dealing with an exclusive dealership issue we have some very good sponsors all over the Seattle area.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/12 at 10:05pm
I think it only depends on who are you talking to.
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/12 at 7:28am
I prefer Seattle MINI. I had to go back to NW MINI 3 times to get the wipers adjusted before they got it right! And that was after the manager looked at it.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
BLUEDIA View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BLUEDIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/12 at 4:43pm
I haven't had a hard time with NWMINI, wasn't too happy once when they told me i had to get a car from a rental place when i was told that they had loaners. I told them you are taking me to work and picking me up the next day so i can get to work. No problem there. Like i want to drive anything then a MINI come on, right!!!
Dona & Brad
BLUEDIAMOND, BAGETTE & MINI Me 2016 Cooper S Roadster, R59
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 8:11am
NW MINI has treated me very well, they have always been very helpful and polite to me.

I once had a question about adding gages and their shop foreman brought me back to the shop and suggested some places to put the senders, using an engine that was out of a customers car to show me. They also are not bothered by mods and aftermarket parts.

The same people own both NW MINI and Seattle MINI.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/12 at 9:29am
The same person owns both dealerships but they operate independently and have different management.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
rockystone View Drop Down
PSMINI Sponsor
PSMINI Sponsor
Seattle MINI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockystone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/12 at 6:22pm

We would love to welcome you to the "north" side.

Richard Stone
GSM
Seattle MINI (HQ)
Claywiltre View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claywiltre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/12 at 6:45pm
@Rockystone I am going to book my next sevice there. I know why you have to book weeks out to get in.
rockystone View Drop Down
PSMINI Sponsor
PSMINI Sponsor
Seattle MINI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockystone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/12 at 7:02pm
If you can let me know what you want done and when it would be good for you to be here, ill book you in.  Do you need a car?
Richard Stone
GSM
Seattle MINI (HQ)
MiniCoastie View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniCoastie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/12 at 11:23pm
I've been to both dealers for service and to purchase vehicles. Didn't have an issue with either. I'm smack dab in the middle of both so it all depends on who has the open spot when I need it. This last time it was NW Mini when my drivers side window motor broke (love my warranty). Seattle Mini at the time was booked for almost two weeks solid so I took the open appointment down South.
FIZGIG View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIZGIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/13 at 3:45pm
One thing I have learned in my over 15 years workinng for dealerships is only about 10% of the time you will actually get what you paid for. The dealerships make their money on service and parts with the exception of MinI-with their inflated prices on their cars. I try to avoid dealerships at all costs so now that I have found a great mechanic/tech I will stay loyal forever. Funny dealerships charge around $130 per hour for service work but some of the highest paid mechanics only make $30 an hour.   Hmmmmmmmmm?
Sometimes I wish I were catholic. I don't know why?
Crikket View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crikket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/13 at 8:09pm
We have had excellent service at NW Mini.  The last time I was there, they offered a loaner right away and took great care of us.  I have an appointment for service this Saturday.  Bert is our service adviser and has treated us very well. 
Glen & Linda - 07 MCS, PW, lounge, oak, all packages, bright turned R105s, carbon fiber.   
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/13 at 7:55am
Got to keep in mind that dealership have a lot more overhead to cover and have every factory tool and diagnostic available along with all of the factory trained mechanics and warrantees etc. You pay a premium, but for many people it's worth it. While I only use the dealer through the free maintenance period and do much work myself or use an independant shop I can see why the dealer is a good alternative for many folks. Just sayin'.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/13 at 8:42am
I used to live in a place with 4 MINI dealers (now 5) within 1 hour from my house plus one of the premiere tuning shops in the country. There were good, bad, and indifferent stories about every single one. That's a great position to be in. It means each dealer and shop is paving their own way to try and meet a customers needs. Sometimes that works out and sometimes it doesn't. Feel lucky to have 2 dealers within a relatively short drive of each other plus a handful of really good independent shops in this area.

As Wildfamily kindly pointed out, the dealers do provide value for their services if that's the kind of service you want. We have a few independent shops here who are also passionate about MINI and do great work. It's important to be upfront with what you want, what you expect, and then provide feedback if the shop you choose met those expectations. Eventually you'll find some place that just clicks and works well for you. If that's a dealer great. If it's an independent shop great. If ultimately you do your own work great. We all view this topic differently but remember that no one has a wrong answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply