Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Racing Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Novice Race #1 at PIR - Video!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novice Race #1 at PIR - Video!
    Posted: May/02/11 at 9:33pm
Got a few videos of laps of my first novice race at the Rose City Opener at PIR on Saturday. The weekend was a blast and it was an amazing experience. Can't wait to go out again. Saturday consisted of morning practice followed by qualifying and then a 30 minute race at the end of the day. The novice grid was huge with 29 registered cars. 28 cars ended up qualifying (one DNS due to mechanical issues). I qualified mid-pack and among the 11 BMW E30s I had 5 in front of me and 5 behind me. The grid for the race is determined by the license director and he chose to put the "fast" cars up front (Corvettes, Cobras, etc.) and then the BMWs and Miatas in reverse order from qualifying. So the fast qualifiers had to work their way up and the not-so-fast cars had to work at holding them off and watching their mirrors. They had a 550HP Dodge Viper for a pace car and out we went. The pace lap is run under a full course caution with the cars scrubbing tires and warming brakes behind for about the first half lap in single file. Then the pace car slows up a bit to gather the herd and we go 2 abreast for the remainder of the lap at about a car length apart. As the pace car turns off his lights and exits the track the pole sitter sets the pace and we all watch for the green flag of for the yellows to come down if we are back far enough that we can't see the green. I was on the ball and got a great jump and passed 4 or 5 cars at the green (caught some guys sleeping). Then the race was on. It was really a fun time and everybody behaved themselves and had a good race. The licenese director uses these novice races to test our situational awareness and can throw flags at his discretion. Sure enough, part way through the race a yellow was thrown and a few folks missed it  and passed on the yellow (and subsequently didn not get credit for the race). Additionally a black flag was thrown at a couple of cars, etc. Overall it was a great experience and I completed the race with no mechanical or officiating issues and got credit for my first novice race. I ended up finishing 14 out of 28 so essentially held my ground. Below are a few videos of the race. First one is the pace lap showing the jump I got at the green flag. Enjoy.

Edited by Wildfamily - May/02/11 at 9:34pm
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/11 at 10:07pm
Awesome! Our own racer! Too bad it's not in a MINI. The car sounds great. Did you find yourself taking different driving lines to defend your position through the turns? 

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 12:59am
Love the Sound and enjoyed seeing the power she's got at the green flag 
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 7:14am
Well done!  You looked really good out there.  I noticed they didn't use the chicane...how come?
One good turn deserves another...and another...

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 7:21am
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Awesome! Our own racer! Too bad it's not in a MINI. The car sounds great. Did you find yourself taking different driving lines to defend your position through the turns? 

Oh for sure Kurt...can't recall in these video cuts, but you find several times I had to take an covering line through T7 in particular. The last few laps I had another E30 on my rear and had to constantly keep him at bay by taking defensive lines. It was a lot of fun!
'80 Mini English White
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 7:24am
Originally posted by kenru kenru wrote:

Well done!  You looked really good out there.  I noticed they didn't use the chicane...how come?
First race of the year at PIR they don't use the chicane. They will use the chicane in the June race. That will be a whole different ball of whacks then! They go 3 wide through the chicane with the big run groups. Without the chicane it pretty amazing watching the Ground Pounders barrel down the straight hitting 150-175MPH before the hit T4 at the end of the straight. Take a look at it from their perspective (and notice the speed differential between them and the PRO3 cars who are in the same run group). Crazy!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_4ibNpTmO8
'80 Mini English White
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 7:20pm
Good job Martin.  I watched your race (all of it) but the two camera angles were both from the chicane and into turn 1 but I could still tell it was you (your stripe down the center of your car really helped).  One down, two to go.  Do what you did two more times and you'll get your upgrade no problem.  I will get back somewhat into the racing after AMVIV. 
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 7:21pm
Randy looked like he was having fun with his draft of the orange car.  Man that sounds like a very cool car.

Very nice novice race - you will be doing really well!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 7:57pm
Wow, they really blow by you on the straightaway... but humorous that they can't seem to pass you guys on the corners! 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 8:28pm
Very nice Martin Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Randy looked like he was having fun with his draft of the orange car.  Man that sounds like a very cool car.

Very nice novice race - you will be doing really well!
Randy is a heck of a driver that's for sure. Hardly looks like he's breaking a sweat out there.
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/11 at 9:41pm
Yes, it looks about as exciting as a bus driver video. Smooth is fast! 

Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/11 at 5:17pm
Martin, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! # 1 under the belt. SO VERY VERY COOL!!!!!

PIR is a great track and probably a much better way to start than with Pacific Raceways. More room on track and more run-off.

You really did get a JUMP------------------nice work.

When you are at Pacific, let us know. We'll get a hole group of Mini's there to cheer you on!!!!!

Very nicely done!!!!!!!! You are a lucky man!

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/11 at 8:03am
Thanks Greg. It was a great experience and a great track for a first race. Next race at PIR is with the chicane so that will add a whole new element.

Next race is at Pacific Raceways on May 21st. Anybody that wants to come out is welcome. Novices race on Saturdays (the senior drivers race on Sunday), but everyone practices and qualifies on Saturday so lots to watch and see.
'80 Mini English White
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/11 at 8:06am
Martin, I'll try to see if I can at least stop by on 5/21. Would be fun to watch you out there mixing it up.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/11 at 8:32am
Link to info on the race weekend and link to free tickets...

'80 Mini English White
PERCY View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PERCY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/11 at 5:37am
Say Martin, just took a look at the videos and what fun!  Congrats on your finish and I loved the jump
on the others at the start.  Go get em!  They had better keep an eye out for you next time.  Keep up
the good work and have a great summer.  I miss you guys. Cry
Me Gusta! Susan 2010 MC British Racing Grn w/Wht Top
 Post Reply Post Reply