Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Dealer Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil overfill at NW MINI?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil overfill at NW MINI?
    Posted: April/13/18 at 1:44pm

I've had my car dealer serviced since new (Sept '02), and after the last oil change the dipstick read way above what I had always taken to be full; there are two holes in the dipstick, and the car had always come back filled exactly to the upper hole when cold.

Returning the car the next day, it car was driven into the garage and I was invited back to see for myself that it wasn't overfilled.

I nodded and OK'd, but it seemed the like the exercise was more about convincing me it was not overfilled than actually determining if it was overfilled.

I siphoned out about a quart through the dipstick tube, and it now reads right on the full mark.

There is a lot of doom and gloom regarding overfilling, warnings about blowing seals and the like, but I also know that BMW now overfills some models by a full quart so that no oil will have to be added between the (also reduced interval) oil changes.

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
 Post Reply Post Reply