Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on wheel spacers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on wheel spacers
    Posted: February/24/11 at 11:28am
I'm looking around at wheels and the set I keep going back to would require wheel spacers on the front to clear the JCW BBK (10-15mm spacer).  I know some racers that use them but I'm curious what impressions people have of them.

For the record, it's the Rota RB that I'm looking at.  Love the classic look.

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 11:28am
LOL, sorry for the image size, I found it on the internet.

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 11:39am
I'm jonesing for a set of RB's as well, silver, 17x7 please =)
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 11:44am
I'm torn between the all black (which is the look I have now), hyper black, and gun metal (pictured).

LIVESTRONG
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 11:49am
Nice...I've done the "wheel fitment" thing with my car on various sites, and black/dark wheels just don't look right for some reason, but on yours they look good.

Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 12:02pm
Pepper white with gunmetal

LIVESTRONG
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 1:58pm
Hmm, the painted flares/trim kills it for me, but that does look really nice.  Definitely my next wheel.
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 2:02pm
Wow 10 to 15 mm spacers are pretty large. Are you going to be using a 17 x 7 wheel or are you going to 16's?

That's going to push the wheel out quite a bit and could present other issue, rubbing the outside of the wheel arches that might require rolling the fenders. Is the car at stock height. Plans to lower it & by how much?

Porsche offers, straight from the factory, 5mm spacers to get the wheel/tires out further. Many people really like the look.

Remember if you go with spacers you need to get new longer lugs. VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!

Personally, with that large a spacer, I'd look for another wheel that has the interior diameter to accomodate the BBK. Just me, but a 15mm spacer Shocked

Good luck. You might want to go to the tire rack site on wheel tech and do some homework. Also try 1010 tires tech section. Just seems that the Rota's should offer more interior room in a 17 x 7 size. Don't know.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 2:25pm
Check out this link from Tire Rack & get some measurements from Rota.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 5:55pm
Greg is right - a 15mm spacer is pretty big, and could lead to early wear of some components (bearings, for one).  Spacers can get kind of pricey if you get the ones with the wheel centering components as well.  I'm not a fan of spacers that make you use the lug nuts for centering the wheel.  I've seen situations where the wheel bolts work loose due to improper installation on non-centering spacers.  If you have to do this, at least go to studs, and really pay attention to how you install the wheels.  Do the first tightening sequence off the ground, then torque to higher than factory spec.  I use 91 ft pounds just to keep things tight at the track (several of us worked up to this torque spec over several track days after problems with bolts coming loose when set at factory spec).  If you do check torque at the track, make sure everything is cold.  You can easily overtorque when things are hot, and then good luck getting bolts/nuts off when things cool off.  Also, you might have to deal with broken bolts/studs.

Boy - got carried away there a bit.  So - I'll cut to the chase.  If 10 or 15mm spacers are required, find another wheel.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 7:39pm
I agree with Pat. I had 5mm spacers with my S-Lites because the wheel just sat in the fender too far. The 5mm spacer made me squeamish and I removed it when I went to the track. 

My new wheels don't require spacers and that makes me feel more secure that nothing is going to fall off. 
I had a wheel come off on the first car I ever bought (Datsun F10) , so I'm fairly nervous about this. 
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/11 at 8:37pm
Thanks guys.  That's what I've been thinking and is really the reason I haven't pulled the trigger.  Thanks for the sanity check.

Damn you sexy wheels!  Stop taunting me!

Todd

LIVESTRONG
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Sanderskog Sanderskog wrote:

I'm torn between the all black (which is the look I have now), hyper black, and gun metal (pictured).

Hey, just discovered this thread.  By coindence I am looking at Rota RB wheels right now for my 2008 (R52) JCW Convertible. 

I am leaning toward the hyper black wheels, but the hyper black looks very silver and seems really bright.  I'm not a fan of chrome wheels, so I'm a little concerned these hyper blacks may be too shiney, but they look so great in all of the photos!

The gun metal is also tempting, but I think it may be too dark.  Sure would be nice to see them side-by-side in person, but no one seems to carry them locally.

Decisions, decisions.  After picking a color, I have to decide between 16" and 17", but of course as luck would have it, the hyper black isn't available in 16", which would've been my preference. Unhappy

Edited by Escape Pod - April/05/11 at 7:26pm
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 2:06pm
Roy,

The silver is a very bright silver, but neither really look chrom'ish.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 4:31pm
Shameless plug: I have a pair of 5mm H&R spacers for $20 sale if anyone wants them. 
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

Roy,

The silver is a very bright silver, but neither really look chrom'ish.

Have you seen the hyper black in person?  I think they look good in the photo above, but I've also seen other photos where they appear to be brighter.  However, I think it's probably a safe bet.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a moot point as no one seems to have 16" RBs in Hyper Black.
Found some 16" Hyper Black on the 18Racing website!  WooHoo
http://www.18racing.com/wheels.html

Thanks,
Roy

P.S. - Oops, forgot to log my wife off before posting.  Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Roy - April/06/11 at 1:44pm
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 7:42pm
They can't be nearly as bright as the silver, I think the Rota silver would be brighter than my car's paint or the factory MINI silver wheels, and that's already pretty bright.

I kind of want a "dark chrome" look to my trim/wheels, not black black, not silver...just a touch of sinisterness =)
firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

They can't be nearly as bright as the silver, I think the Rota silver would be brighter than my car's paint or the factory MINI silver wheels, and that's already pretty bright.

I kind of want a "dark chrome" look to my trim/wheels, not black black, not silver...just a touch of sinisterness =)

I've always been a big fan of the gunmetal grey look.
*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 9:53pm
Yeah, that's kinda what I want, but less gunmetal, and more tinted chrome.
bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 9:59pm
I dont worry at all about the use of wheel spacers. when using them the wheel is still carried by the hub bearing. once the wheel and spacer are bolted to the hub it becomes a unit. as safe as bolting the wheel to the hub. proper hub sizing is really important for centering the wheel when mounting it, but again once its all bolted together everything is riding on the hub bearing just as it should be.  I agree that trying to center a wheel without proper hub/wheel sizing is a BAD IDEA! meaning get the right spacers and have hub centric wheels. Even using wheel studs wont guarantee you get them centered. the wheel hub flange is 13mm.  My personal MINI tech verified this. so with a 5mm spacer you still have 8mm of exposed flange. going to bigger spacers you definitely want ones with proper hub sizing and extended flanges. I cant imagine wanting or needing anything larger on a mini but everyone has their own ideas.
 I needed spacers to fit my panasports over jcw brakes. it isn't the offset of the wheel its the design of the wheel. my only complaint now is how far my wheels stick out. the offset was 40 so they sat very nice before the brake upgrade but now the offset is effectively 35 and I find it a bit wide. so ultimately I wish I had 45 offset wheels then with the spacers they would sit at 40.  certainly the only real issue with wheel spacers would be improper use or installation of them. if that is even possible. bottom line if your wheel falls off then your  wheel wasn't centered or your bolts weren't tight enough.
I completely understand that everyone has their own comfort zone and may not feel comfortable using them but I think if you talked to someone with a proper understanding of how they work and you used the right ones under the right conditions you should rest [and drive] easy. If you dont want to use them and/or doubt your ability to use them properly then DONT use them. That applies to everything but I said it anyway ha.
Did I mention you should have hub centric wheels or centering rings? I just thought I would mention it again. its important with or without wheel spacers, just as Pat mentioned. and if buying new why wouldn't you just get what you need in the first place.

Edited by bobbyd - April/05/11 at 11:34pm
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 11:11pm
What bobbyd said - but - wheel spacers (or wheels with too little offset) do increase wheel forces acting on the hub bearing because of the increased leverage.  5MM is not going to add much - but much more will cause problems as Pat has pointed out.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/11 at 11:23pm
Also, the mating surface between the wheel and hub is greater than that between the wheel and the spacer. That means the forces to loosen the wheel lugs will be greater, even if just by a little. 
bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/11 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Sanderskog Sanderskog wrote:

Pepper white with gunmetal

I want that front bumper
anyone know what kind it is?

Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/11 at 5:27pm
Hmmm, apparently no 16" Rota RBs in Royal Hyper Black to be found anywhere.

FastMini.net doesn't stock Hyper Black in the 16" size.
18Racing.com backed out on me.  They thought they had some, but turns out they don't.
RacingLab.com says they're back-ordered until June.

Bummer.  Disapprove

To quote Sanderskog, "Damn you sexy wheels!  Stop taunting me!"

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/11 at 5:35pm
I just checked here: http://www.vexmotorsports.com/Rota-Wheels--RB-16x7-4x100-40mm-561-Hub-Bore-Set-of-4-Wheels-_p_6162.html

But they don't have the hyper black either, but every other color.
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/11 at 8:04am
Thanks, I have found several RBs in the other colors, but apparently Hyper Black is hard to come by.
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
 Post Reply Post Reply