Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Racing Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pacific Raceways Updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacific Raceways Updates
    Posted: February/16/10 at 11:30pm
Some of the latest news floating around the racing forums this week...

Just to clarify some of the rumors: The contract was signed Monday to re-pave turn 2. They should be starting tomorrow or thurs, will be finished over the weekend. Turn 8 will be patched as well as can be for this season, and re-paved next year. As we speak they are working on drainage issues on the straight between t-9 and t-10. Still planning going on there, but are installing catch basins, etc. It all costs lots of money, but they are making progress!

Jason Fiorito attended the big SOVREN annual meeting. Looks like he has a renewed commitment to supporting road racing (including a sizeable donation to the SOVREN Guild). He also unvailed a NEW plat plan for the improved facility's and the road course is CONSIDERABLY different then the previous plan (the old map is still on the track web site.

Starting at the current S/F line:

1. Turn 1 is now a sharp right hander, almost 90 degrees. short run to a hard left, short run to a hard left, slightly longer run to a hard left. All-in-all forming a square to head down to 3A. Outside of track is SOLID sand trap.

2. 3A/3B remain as is. HOWEVER (perhaps to meet FIA standards), the escape road is GONE and replaced by a sand trap (Oh, Oh).

3. Turn 5A becomes a hard left and quick right of 90 degrees. short run to a smooth but tight left shorter run to a tight right and on to T6 which is the same.

NOTE 1: track is either moved outward or, the dirt bank along the inside of 5A/5B is cut back.
NOTE 2: T5A will be less of a technical challenge and require a lot more braking.
NOTE 3: Speeds from the entry of 5A to exit of 6 will be much slower.
NOTE 4: Track on BOTH sides through the new 5 to 6 complex is surrounded by sand traps.

4. Up to 8 remains as is.

5. Turn 9 becomes a much sharper right with a short run to a sweeping left and then an easy right sweeper on to the front straight. Inside and outside of this new complex is sand traps. Looks like it will use part of what now is the grandstands and paddock area in front of Proformance to form this new series of turns.

Overall interesting. Changes will for sure slow the lap times but maintain the current length very closely. With the new sand traps, staying on the pavement will be even more critical. Very few places for an 'oops'. Latest map is on page 8 of the Vintage Drift if you can find a copy.

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/10 at 12:32am
Can't wait!  WooHoo
One good turn deserves another...and another...

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/10 at 1:12am
So, can non-racers come out to watch the MINIs go around?  I'm thinking it might be really fun to come out some warm day, and watch the racers. Do they allow that?  If so, is there an admission fee for spectators?

Cheers!
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/10 at 1:40am
Track sounds even more MINI friendly adding the corners starting at T1 instead of the long straight!
'80 Mini English White
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/10 at 1:41am
Genie, I know the BMW track days allow non-drivers to watch and hang out. Not sure about the Porsche club but thinking they do as well. Also, ProFormance allows non-drivers.
'80 Mini English White
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/10 at 2:24am
Except for the sand, it sounds good! Heck, as long as we get smooth pavement, I'm happy.

The Porsche club allows spectators free of charge as well. You just need to sign the waiver as you drive in. BMW and ProFormance don't have that requirement unless you're a participant.
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/10 at 6:16am
Sounds fun. Cleaned up Pacific and a new track in Shelton? the future looks bright.

Martin, I don't suppose you could scan the new track layout? I'm having a hard time picturing the layout from your description.

Edited by garumph - February/17/10 at 6:22am
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/10 at 2:43pm
I wish I had the $$$ and time :-) Sounds great!
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/10 at 1:19am
man.. I get my track wheels tonight from JR benny.. Tires are going on next week..when does the track open?
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/10 at 1:23am
Here is the link to the new setup...

New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/10 at 3:33am
Originally posted by BurnerS BurnerS wrote:

Here is the link to the new setup...

I can't find the new layout Martin is talking about. That looks like the "old" new layout.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/10 at 4:45am
It is down in the bottom left corner..????

Pacific Raceways
Planning $135 Million Renovation

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/10 at 5:29am
Ah Gotcha!!  I like that one!
 Post Reply Post Reply