Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

POS Oil Dipstick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POS Oil Dipstick
    Posted: July/23/14 at 6:33pm
Since averaging only 52K for each cracked OEM dipstick, while hoping/praying to get another 150K on my baby, today she received the CravenSpeed upgrade.  For the extra few bucks it cost compared to three more originals plus Gawd knows what when a piece of one drops into the pan, I think it was the right thing to do.

For such a nice car, it's hard to comprehend what the idiot designer of the OEM stick was thinking.

The upgrade slides in/out with ease, the oil level marking is unmistakable, not to mention the nice red cap must be worth a horsepower or two!
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/14 at 4:48am
MINI thought so much about their dipstick that they eliminated it on all the new MINI's.  Now you cannot see, feel and smell the oil :-(  You must rely on a computer to tell you and then not to fail, not to fail, not to fail, no t fa.....

I actually got the Cravenspeed stick, or spring, for my mini and it sure is easy to read, insert and remove; just do not lay it down anywhere, oil runs out of it for days!

Edited by SMOG - July/24/14 at 4:50am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/14 at 5:52pm
Sorry to hear about the demise of this most useful component.  With any luck they also dumped the responsible engineer.  I'd hate to think that person got promoted to a more significant part.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/14 at 7:56pm
I suppose I understand all the reasons and rationale for making an engine without a dipstick, but, I do not feel it is a proper sports car if you cannot check the oil.  And I am sure it is a fine new engine but the bean counters that say they can sucker more cars into the mechanics bays to make money for corporate really are the guys that need a serious talking to!

I would wager that some enterprising person puts a Dipstick Mod Pan on it and starts selling them.  Do all the M Series BMW's come with a dipstick or not???
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
 Post Reply Post Reply