2013 Twists & Turns Rally (July 20)

Printed From: Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club
Category: Events
Forum Name: PSMINI Events and Drives
Forum Description: Information about PSMINI-sponsored events and drives
URL: http://www.psmini.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10087
Printed Date: March/29/24 at 12:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2013 Twists & Turns Rally (July 20)
Posted By: ipeverywhere
Subject: 2013 Twists & Turns Rally (July 20)
Date Posted: June/24/13 at 5:18pm

PSMINI presents Twists & Turns Rally!

Feedback and Results: http://www.psmini.org/forum/2013-twists-turns-rally-july-20_topic10087_page4.html" rel="nofollow - Page 4

When: Saturday July 20th 2013 8:00 AM Registration with Driver's meeting at 8:30.
Please fill out the uploads/1095/RegistrationForm2013.pdf" rel="nofollow - Registration Form and bring it with you. This will help speed-up check-in.

Start: Behind Fred Meyer in Kirkland https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=47.709076,-122.18388&spn=0.004642,0.007446&sll=47.70844,-122.185521&sspn=0.004642,0.007446&geocode=FW341wIdjqG3-A%3BFfz41wId2pi3-A&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=17" rel="nofollow - 12221 120th Ave NE Kirkland, WA map marks "behind Fred Meyer"

End: XXX Root Beer in Issaquah https://maps.google.com/maps?q=xxxx+rootbeer+near+issaquah&hl=en&ll=47.537775,-122.035103&spn=0.018629,0.029783&sll=47.709076,-122.18388&sspn=0.004642,0.007446&t=m&hq=xxxx+rootbeer&hnear=Issaquah,+King,+Washington&z=15&iwloc=A" rel="nofollow - 98 NE Gilman Blvd Issaquah, WA

Previous Year Info: http://www.psmini.org/forum/twists-turns-psmini-road-rally_topic9193.html" rel="nofollow - Twist & Turns 2012

Cost: Nothing to participate. Bring cash for your own lunch at XXX at the end (they are cash only).

Details: Navigators are required for this one. You will not be able to complete the course without a navigator.

The Twist & Turns Rally is a trivia/gimmick rally where the challenge is in following directions, answering some trivia, and arriving at the destination closest to the pre-determined Rally Master's calculated mileage for the route. Points are awarded for answering the questions and points are deducted for getting off-course. Worried about getting lost? Don't be! We've got you covered as we never leave any MINI behind.

Join the Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club for a fun, but challenging, rally through King and Snohomish counties. Enjoy some great curvy back roads as you twist and turn your way from Kirkland to Issaquah via the scenic route. This time-distance style rally will have you following semi-tricky driving directions and recording your mileage to see who can come closest to the Rally master’s official distance for the course. But, mostly it’s an excuse to enjoy a fun drive down some of the area’s best motoring roads. A couple of checkpoints are included along the route for you to stretch your legs or get a second cup of coffee.

At the end of the rally course, enjoy lunch and a root beer float with your MINI friends at the Triple XXX Root Beer Drive-In in Issaquah while we tally up the final results, award the winners with prizes, and, well, we have a few other surprises as well.

What to bring:
     - Full tank of gas
     - Cash for XXX (they do not take credit cards)
     - A pen/pencil (or two) and a clipboard as you'll be writing things down.
     - Umbrella and/or sunscreen (check the weather)
     - GPS is allowed! You can also use your cell phone.
     - Did we mention cell phone? Bring that, you'll really want it if you get lost (you won't get lost).
     - A navigator as navigators are required for this one.

Registration: To save time we ask that you download and fill-out the registration form before arriving to check-in. uploads/1095/RegistrationForm2013.pdf" rel="nofollow - RegistrationForm.pdf

Rally Masters: A special thank you to Roy and Beth ( http://www.psmini.org/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=1095" rel="nofollow - Roy & http://www.psmini.org/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=267" rel="nofollow - Escape Pod ) for creating and organizing this unique rally.

As always, use this thread to RSVP, find a navigator, ask questions etc. We hope to see you there as this is a fun challenge you'll be talking about for the rest of the motoring season. See you there PSMINI motorers!

Attendees:
Escape Pod (Roy & Beth, Rally Masters)
IPEverywhere (Ryan & Tracey, Volunteers)
JulzMni
Susie.M356
Sixate
Mike & Cheryl
Shiner
Corners (tentative)
jeffmc
FrankiesMini
catlvr2
TimS
Gumby (via Facebook)
italianjob (tentative)
ResQ176
BlueBuggy
cferg
CyclinPapa
iseethespade

Replies:
Posted By: JulzMni
Date Posted: June/24/13 at 11:48pm
We're planning on attending this; however, my daughter gets married the following Saturday so we'll have to play it by ear. This sounds super fun!

-------------
Julie Sterling
Stanwood, WA
2013 Roadster "Ruby"

https://www.facebook.com/julz.mni

Posted By: taligator
Date Posted: June/25/13 at 12:14pm
Oooh this is a fun one! 

-------------
'16 F55 Moonwalk Gray / Black -- Pudge

Posted By: Slyderone
Date Posted: June/25/13 at 3:06pm
If I get my clutch fixed in time I will be there...

-------------
John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       

Posted By: Susie.M356
Date Posted: June/26/13 at 1:12pm
Count me in!  This will be my first ever Mini event, or any kind of road event for that matter!

Susie

Posted By: Sixate
Date Posted: June/26/13 at 4:22pm
Count us in.  

Elizabeth said "Eight AM in Kirkland?  Where are we staying the night before?"

-------------
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!

Posted By: SAMSON
Date Posted: June/26/13 at 11:20pm
Sounds like fun! Count us in!

-------------
NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

Posted By: Mike & Cheryl
Date Posted: June/27/13 at 8:48pm
Planning on it! :)

Posted By: Roy
Date Posted: June/28/13 at 8:25am
Originally posted by taligator taligator wrote:

Oooh this is a fun one! 

Thanks Tracey (and Ryan) for testing the Rally route. It was fun, and I really appreciate you guys helping out with this event.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: June/28/13 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Susie.M356 Susie.M356 wrote:

Count me in!  This will be my first ever Mini event, or any kind of road event for that matter!

Susie

Wow! Congrats on your MINI and welcome to the club.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Posted By: Shiner
Date Posted: July/01/13 at 2:44pm

Greetings!

We will be there for out first club and road event! Looking forward to meeting you all!

Sheryl, Stevil, and Coop!

Posted By: Hapa Haole
Date Posted: July/02/13 at 9:25pm
I heard this rally was a blast last year, but too bad I have to work again. Have fun everyone. I'll be looking forward to the feedback and photos. Big smile

-------------
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm

Posted By: CORNERS
Date Posted: July/02/13 at 10:34pm
I might be able to attend this one (first PSMINI event in like forever) but won't have a navigator that can see over the dash. 
Is it totally against the rules to just follow someone who seems like they know where they are going? 

-------------

Kurt/04 R53 http://youtube.com/user/khammo01" rel="nofollow - Check out My MOD MINI repair videos channel @ YouTube

Posted By: jeff-&-stef
Date Posted: July/03/13 at 10:37am
Stef and I will be there!

-------------
Jeff & Stef - 2013 Brilliant Red Countryman S

Date Posted: July/03/13 at 10:43am
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

I might be able to attend this one (first PSMINI event in like forever) but won't have a navigator that can see over the dash. 
Is it totally against the rules to just follow someone who seems like they know where they are going? 

You might be able to pull it off with your navigator CORNERS. Can your navigator read? Part of the fun is just staying on course. That, at times, is helpful to have 2 people actively looking for roadsigns but an alert/attentive driver could navigate the course as long as they had someone to read the directions. But, that's just one part of the game. The other part does require a navigator who can look for the clues. That probably means you won't win but you'll most likely make it to the end point.

As far as following someone... that's going to be emphatic no. This rally is specifically designed so each team has a chance to follow the directions on their own. We'll be staggering the start of each team to ensure that.

If all else fails... you at least know the end point so stop by for lunch and enjoy a root beer.

Date Posted: July/03/13 at 2:54pm

Kurt will you have one or three navigators?   

-------------
(SLYDER1 plates)

Date Posted: July/03/13 at 7:33pm
I would have two navigators - only one who is likely to be able to read well enough to be of any use whatsoever. :-) 

-------------

Kurt/04 R53 http://youtube.com/user/khammo01" rel="nofollow - Check out My MOD MINI repair videos channel @ YouTube

Posted By: FrankiesMini
Date Posted: July/05/13 at 12:08pm
This sounds like a blast.
However, I've got 2 other friends who would like to tag along.
So, 4 people in my Countryman. Is that allowed?

-------------
Frank -
2012 Mini Cooper S Countryman.
Hunter Green, 6 speed !!

Date Posted: July/05/13 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by FrankiesMini FrankiesMini wrote:

I shouldn't think it would be a problem. You'll have an advantage possibly? Wink

-------------
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm

Date Posted: July/05/13 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by FrankiesMini FrankiesMini wrote:

Sure, no problem.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Posted By: catlvr2
Date Posted: July/06/13 at 9:28am
Larry and I will be there

-------------
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper

Posted By: FrankiesMini
Date Posted: July/07/13 at 7:24am
Frankie's Mini is in. !!

Frank

-------------
Frank -
2012 Mini Cooper S Countryman.
Hunter Green, 6 speed !!

Date Posted: July/07/13 at 5:29pm
Okay, I just updated the attendee list and we're off to a pretty good start with 11 cars so far, not including volunteers.

Beth and I just completed another test run of the rally route today, and everything is looking good. We have some great roads again this year, and living up to the "Twists & Turns" name, some really nice curvy sections. It promises to be a great drive.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/07/13 at 7:38pm
Looking forward to it. Should we bring radios also?

Date Posted: July/08/13 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Mike & Cheryl Mike & Cheryl wrote:

Yes, definitely!

-------------

Posted By: Escape Pod
Date Posted: July/08/13 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Hapa Haole Hapa Haole wrote:

Yes, definitely!

Actually, most definitely no! Unlike many events, this one you're competing with the other participants, so you shouldn't be communicating from car to car.   It's a good idea to bring a cell phone (we willprovide contact info so you can reach us if you get really lost), but no radios. Do bring a clip board and a pencil or two. And bring your sense of humor!   

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)

Date Posted: July/08/13 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Escape Pod Escape Pod wrote:

Originally posted by Hapa Haole Hapa Haole wrote:

Yes, definitely!

Actually, most definitely no! Unlike many events, this one you're competing with the other participants, so you shouldn't be communicating from car to car.   It's a good idea to bring a cell phone (we willprovide contact info so you can reach us if you get really lost), but no radios. Do bring a clip board and a pencil or two. And bring your sense of humor!   

Oops, my bad... I was thinking walkie talkies would work for those caravanning to the event from the north or south.

-------------

Date Posted: July/08/13 at 9:10pm
Mixed messages???? I got it no talking thanks see you there.

Date Posted: July/10/13 at 9:39am
Don't worry, there will be plenty of time to socialize at lunch over a root beer float.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Posted By: Th3Stig
Date Posted: July/11/13 at 3:11pm
New Mini owner and new to the club. This sounds like fun. So, I just bring the form next Saturday?

Posted By: goddess
Date Posted: July/11/13 at 3:25pm
I am in!!  One question about my navigator however, does he have to speak English or be able to actually navigate?

My past exchange student's brother will be in town visiting... Will this work or do I need to recruit someone else? Sadly, my usual co-pilot Mike will be out of town for this one.
Drive

-------------
Ruby- 2012 Clubman, Chili Red. Plate "MINIR55"
Abbey- 2011 S Coupe, Eclipse Gray Metallic. Plate "DWNSIZD"
Dory- 2009 S Convertible, Lightening Blue Metallic, Plate "ACTLSZ"

Date Posted: July/11/13 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by goddess goddess wrote:

I am in!!  One question about my navigator however, does he have to speak English or be able to actually navigate?

My past exchange student's brother will be in town visiting... Will this work or do I need to recruit someone else? Sadly, my usual co-pilot Mike will be out of town for this one.

Drive

Using the definition of "speak", no you do not have to speak English. Read English yes as the directions, route sheet, clues, and answers to those clues are all in English. I know some languages are harder/easier to read vs. speak and since English is my only language I have no idea what category it falls into.

OK, after saying all of that, since this is a trivia rally and the route itself is part of the fun you may run into issues depending on how fluent your exchange student's brother is with reading English (especially American street signs) and/or how easily it would be for you to explain some of the areas that are not so clear. It may very well turn out to be a great learning experience or it could turn into a ball of confusion.

A "help me" envelope will be provided at the start. It has detailed instructions and phone numbers if things go really sideways and we can get you back on-track or at least to the ending point for a cool root beer at the XXX.

Date Posted: July/11/13 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by TimS TimS wrote:

New Mini owner and new to the club. This sounds like fun. So, I just bring the form next Saturday?

Yep, there's a list of items to bring in the first post, and you'll want be at the starting point in time to sign in before the driver's meeting. Especially important this year is the clip board (Roy's redesigned the instructions and score card to speed up scoring this year) and writing instrument (or, if you're like me... two. They have a habit of flinging out the window at inopportune moments when the crazy driver takes that curve too enthusiastically!)

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/11/13 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by goddess goddess wrote:

I agree with Ryan, it depends a lot on how well he can read English, and how well you understand him. The clues are mostly looking for hard-to-spot signs, which help confirm you're on track on route, but not crucial to getting to the end point and having a good time. The route instructions (turn right at the third opportunity) you need him to read to you, but you'll be as involved as he is in interpreting them (knowing that a "dead end" or "private road" don't count as an "opportunity"). We'll cover those sorts of things in the driver's meeting, and we've got a list of key basic rules you'll have with you in your car as a reminder for those moments when you get confused or feel lost.

I hope you'll come - it can be a crazy, fun event and probably something unique for him to experience. Hope to see you on Saturday morning!

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/12/13 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by TimS TimS wrote:

Yep, and the form has a handy checklist of things to bring.  Also, don't forget you need a navigator/copilot with you.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/12/13 at 8:51pm
Looking forward to the fun and meeting new friends. It is true when you buy a Mini your not buying a car your getting a new member of the family and it comes with friends

Date Posted: July/13/13 at 12:01am

Hey everyone, in preparation for the upcoming rally, I thought it would be fun and helpful to do a virtual online “practice run”.  Each day I will a post diagram of a tricky intersection and the corresponding rally instruction, and then it will be up to you to figure out which direction you would go.  I’m calling it the “Rallymaster’s Question-of-the-Day”.  Email me your answer and how you came by it, and send it to mailto:webmaster@psmini.org" rel="nofollow - webmaster@psmini.org .  From the set of correct answers I receive each day, one winner will be randomly selected to receive a $5 Starbucks gift card for getting the right answer!  It’s that easy!  I will post a new question and the answer to the previous day’s question here on this thread each day for the next several days leading up to the rally.

To get things started, here is an excerpt from the rally rules for your reference.  This information will help you get the right answers.

Interpreting Route Instructions

You will be provided with a set of route instructions which describe how to navigate the rally course.  It is important that you follow the instructions carefully to avoid getting off course, or possibly getting lost.  The following rules will help you navigate the course correctly:

1.       Turns are indicated in one of six directions: left, right, bear left, bear right, acute/sharp left, acute/sharp right.

2.       Statements enclosed in parenthesis are not part of the route instructions, and may be considered optional.  Any locations referenced in parenthesis are not action points.

3.       All rally course roads are public through streets unless otherwise noted.

4.       Avoid travelling on prohibited roads at all times unless otherwise directed.  These roads will not be considered opportunities or counted to identify the rally course.  You may be forced to change direction to avoid a prohibited road, but if a selection of turns is possible, an instruction will be given.  The following types of roads are considered prohibited:

a.       Any road marked “Dead End”, “No Outlet”, “Private”, “Do Not Enter” or “Road Closed”.

b.      Any private driveway or entrance, business entrance or parking lot entrance (except when explicitly instructed).

5.       In absence of a route instruction, always follow the obvious continuation of the road you are on – unless an instruction specifically directs otherwise.  This is known as following the Principal Road.  At each intersection where an instruction to turn does not apply, continue along the principal road.  Note that a principal road may bend in a new direction and/or change names.  Use an instruction to turn only when its execution would indicate travel in a direction you would not have otherwise taken.

6.       Occasionally an instruction will be provided to clarify the route or provide confirmation that you are on course.  Such instructions are marked MBCU or REF accordingly.  (See table below for definitions.)

7.       For the purposes of this rally, a roundabout/traffic circle is treated as a normal intersection.  Therefore, in a typical four-way roundabout, exiting the circle via the first exit is equivalent to a right-hand turn, the second exit is equivalent to going straight (and may be considered an unnecessary instruction), and the third exit is equivalent to a left-hand turn.

Abbreviations and Definitions

Action Point

The physical location where an instruction is to be executed.

L, R,
LEFT, RIGHT

Left, Right.  A change in direction from the principal road from 10 to 179 degrees.

AL, AR,
Acute L/R

Acute Left, Acute Right.  A change in direction from the principal road that is clearly more than 90 degrees.

BL, BR,

Bear L/R

Bear Left, Bear Right.  A change in direction from the principal road that is clearly less than 90 degrees.

DNF

Did Not Finish.  A vehicle which fails to turn in a score card at the end of the rally.

KL, KR

Keep Left, Keep Right

MBCU

May Be Considered Unnecessary

OPP

Opportunity

REF

Reference – A sign, object or landmark that serves as an action point for a Route Instruction.

RI

Route Instruction

RXR

Railroad crossing

S, STRAIGHT

Straight as possible

STOP

A legal stop sign applicable to your path of travel

T or Tee

A junction of roads in the general shape of the letter “T”. It is approached from the stem of the T and offers only the choice of a right or left turn. You cannot go straight at a T. While the two turns possible at the T may not both be equal to 90 degrees, the smaller angle as measured from the stem of the T must be clearly more than 60 degrees.

Light,
Traffic light, Traffic signal

A legally binding signal light controlling traffic on your course composed of red, yellow

(sometimes omitted), and green lights. It may be set for sequential operation or it

may be blinking. All lights at a given intersection shall be counted as one signal.

Y

Where the road splits into two roads

YIELD

A legal yield sign applicable to your path of travel

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/13/13 at 12:13am

Rallymaster’s Question-of-the-Day

Let’s start off with a fairly easy question.  Given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

R at first OPP.

Your choices are A, B, C, D (as shown in diagram below), or E (you are off-course and the instruction cannot be applied).

Email your answer to mailto:webmaster@psmini.org" rel="nofollow - webmaster@psmini.org for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

Check back here tomorrow to see the correct answer, and the next question.

P.S. – You have to be present at the rally to claim your gift card, even if only to show up for lunch.  Gift cards will not be mailed.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Posted By: italianjob
Date Posted: July/13/13 at 12:31am
I'm gonna try to make this one. Need to ask permission to my new boss Lorenzo;) and find a navigator.

-------------
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"

Posted By: ResQ176
Date Posted: July/13/13 at 1:53am
I think I asked this question earlier, but maybe put it in the wrong thread? I was just curious if you had to be part of the club to be part of the rally? If so, could I join the morning of? I'm really excited about the rally, as I haven't been able to do anything cool with my new Mini...

And if I don't need to be part of the club... (I'm going to join soon), then please consider this my RSVP. :-)

Thank you, and I'm really excited to meet fellow motorers and beat that time!

R/

Jimmy

Posted By: italianjob
Date Posted: July/13/13 at 6:28am
You are welcome to come! No need to be a paid member to join any of the events! JUST COME! :))

-------------
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"

Date Posted: July/13/13 at 10:57am
Jimmy, you are absolutely welcome to attend, and I have added you to the attendee list.  I don't believe that PSMINI has ever had an event where membership was required.  Especially for new people, we expect them to come out and try an event or two first.  We think the club is so good you will want to join because you want to support a good thing.  For 9 years so far that model has served the club well.

Occasionally, an event will require a fee to cover expenses, but a lot of events, like this one, are free to attend.  Obviously, we hope you will chose to join the club after an event or two, but it's certainly not an upfront requirement.

So, welcome!  We look forward to seeing you next Saturday.

P.S. - For clarity, this rally event is not a timed event, and it is not a race.  The most important element is to stay on-course and come out with the correct distance/mileage.  Time is only used as a tie-breaker, and it wasn't needed last year, but I promise there are plenty of fun roads.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Posted By: SAMSON
Date Posted: July/13/13 at 11:04am
Unfortunately, we have to back out of this one. Have fun and post pictures!

-------------
NEBULA - 2016 Countryman S ALL4 Cosmic Blue/Black
SAMSON - 2011 Cooper S - Eclipse Grey/Black (retired)
LOLA CHOLULA - 2010 Cooper - Chili Red/White (retired)

Date Posted: July/13/13 at 12:26pm
Awesome. Thank you! I will be there and will have my navigator with me!

P. S. I know it's not a race... Just poking fun. (unless someone wants to do it for pinks...) ;-) (just kidding again... Melinda is financed. Haha.)

Until Saturday,

Jimmy

Date Posted: July/13/13 at 10:42pm

The correct answer to Friday's question (above) is D.  Out of the eight correct answers I received, "Debster" is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Debbie! 

Okay here's another fairly easy one.  The questions will get harder as we get closer to the rally.
Given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

R at the second OPP.

Your choices are A, B, C, D (as shown in diagram below), or E (you are off-course and the instruction cannot be applied).

Email your answer to  mailto:webmaster@psmini.org" rel="nofollow - webmaster@psmini.org  for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/14/13 at 10:28pm

The correct answer to Saturday's question (above) is D.  Out of the seven correct answers I received, "CORNERS" is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Kurt! 

Okay, here's a tougher question.  Given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

L at STOP.

Your choices are A, B, C, D (as shown in diagram below), or E (you are off-course and the instruction cannot be applied).

Email your answer to  mailto:webmaster@psmini.org" rel="nofollow - webmaster@psmini.org  for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

P.S. – You have to be present at the rally to claim your gift card, even if only to show up for lunch.  Gift cards will not be mailed.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Posted By: goddess
Date Posted: July/15/13 at 1:13pm

It looks like I may have to sit (park) this one out. After reading the replies to my previous post regarding my navigators English skills, it may not work out so well. His English is very VERY limited.

I'll be there be in spirit. Motor-On my friends!!

-------------
Ruby- 2012 Clubman, Chili Red. Plate "MINIR55"
Abbey- 2011 S Coupe, Eclipse Gray Metallic. Plate "DWNSIZD"
Dory- 2009 S Convertible, Lightening Blue Metallic, Plate "ACTLSZ"

Date Posted: July/15/13 at 5:21pm
That's understandable.  You need a good navigator for this rally.

You two are certainly welcome to join us for lunch.  People should be arriving at the Triple XXX Root Beer Drive-In around 12:30.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/16/13 at 7:51am

The correct answer to the previous question (above) is D.  Only apply an instruction when it is applicable.  A left at the first STOP would violate the rule to avoid prohibited roads.  You may be forced to change direction to avoid a prohibited road, but if a selection of turns is possible, an instruction will be given.  No instruction was provided to turn right at the first STOP, because a right turn was your only option.  Therefore, your first opportunity to turn "L at STOP" is option D.

Out of the six correct answers I received, "Sixate" is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Bryan! 

Next question, given the following rally instruction, which way would you go?

L at roundabout.

P.S. – You have to be present at the rally to claim your gift card, even if only to show up for lunch.  Gift cards will not be mailed.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/16/13 at 7:28pm
I think the real question is, how many times should you circle the roundabout before exiting in the intended direction? 

Drive

Oh ... wait ... I guess that might mess with your official mileage..... unless you think the rally master did it too??

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 9:13am

The correct answer to the previous question (above) is C.  Roundabouts are treated the same as regular intersections.

Out of the eight correct answers I received, Julie H. is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card.  Congratulations, Julie! 

Okay, now for something different.  Which of the following instruction(s) may be considered unnecessary to get the MINI from the starting point at bottom to the destination (starred) at top?

1) Straight at roundabout.
2) R at STOP.
3) L at first OPP.
4) Bear R at fork.

Send the number(s) of the unnecessary instruction(s) to  mailto:webmaster@psmini.org" rel="nofollow - webmaster@psmini.org  for a chance to win a $5 Starbucks gift card.

Check back here tomorrow to see the correct answer.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Posted By: BlueBuggy
Date Posted: July/17/13 at 10:04am
I'm a new PSMini Member as of two minutes ago, But I plan to attend this event. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Escape Pod Escape Pod wrote:

I think the real question is, how many times should you circle the roundabout before exiting in the intended direction? 

Drive

Oh ... wait ... I guess that might mess with your official mileage..... unless you think the rally master did it too??

This. This is very funny =)

Who can't resist a couple times around an empty roundabout in a MINI!?!

Posted By: CINIMIN
Date Posted: July/17/13 at 2:24pm
In the diagram for the instruction "Left at Roundabout" - What would you do if the instruction you are working on said "Right at Second Opportunity" and you had not encountered any other opportunities to turn right?   WHY?

-------------
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

In the diagram for the instruction "Left at Roundabout" - What would you do if the instruction you are working on said "Right at Second Opportunity" and you had not encountered any other opportunities to turn right?   WHY?

I suppose that would be the same as "Go Straight"? 

-------------

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 9:12pm

The answer to the last question was 1 & 3.  Instruction 1 is unnecessary, because proceeding straight though an intersection is assumed as part of following the "principal road".  Instruction 3 is unnecessary because turning left to avoid a private road is your only option for moving forward.

Out of the two correct answers I received,  Sue G is our lucky winner of the $5 Starbucks gift card. Congratulations, Sue!

That is the last of the rally questions.  Thanks everyone for playing along.  Hopefully, this has been good practice for everyone.

We will deliver the Starbucks gift cards to the winners at the rally.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 9:36pm
Bummer this was a great game. Thanks for setting it up!

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 9:42pm
Still looking for a correct answer to my question...

-------------
Jack -

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 10:06pm
Congratulations to all who answered correctly and won their gift cards!

See you Saturday

-------------
08 DS/DS, Chrome in/out, Chrome mirrors, bad timing chain guide.

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

Good question. Roundabouts are treated as regular intersections. Therefore, the roundabout in the diagram only has one right turn. Since your theoretical instruction is to turn right at the second opportunity, you would proceed straight through the roundabout and continue looking for your second opportunity. The first exit from the circle counts as an opp to turn right, but the second exit does not.

Hope that is as clear as mud.   

Fortunately, we don't have anything that complicated on this rally.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by BlueBuggy BlueBuggy wrote:

I'm a new PSMini Member as of two minutes ago, But I plan to attend this event. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Cool! Welcome. You see Saturday.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/17/13 at 11:02pm
Correct answer Roy

The type of "trap" found in more competitive rallies - easy to fall into when making quick decisions and trying to keep track of time and speed. If you count two "Right Opportunities" in the roundabout you exit on the correct course - but thinking you have completed the "R 2nd Op" instruction, you miss the next turn (real 2nd Right Opportunity)

-------------
Jack -

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 8:50am
Originally posted by BlueBuggy BlueBuggy wrote:

Make sure you post in "Let Me Introduce Myself" so that everyone gets to say"Hi" as not everyone reads the posts for events they are not participating in.

Welcome to the group!  We need more BLUE!

-------------

Posted By: MiniCharley
Date Posted: July/18/13 at 11:28am
Unfortunately, we will not be able to attend this now. :( Our daughter returns from a 2 week hiking trip and the pick up time has been changed to 9am. We will definitely miss this event as it was one of our FAVORITE events last year!!! I highly encourage all to attend if possible. You won't disappointed!!!   Can't wait to see photos!

Belinda

-------------
Our family:
12 R60 All4 SB/Blk WILDBLUE
12 R59 JCW Roaster PB/RED APOLLO

04 IB/W MCS CHARLEY
12 All4 CB/Bk YONDER
12 CoupeS LB/Bk DBCOUPE
80 Mini Kensington Red STELLA

Posted By: cferg
Date Posted: July/18/13 at 12:21pm
Hi, I’m new to PS MINI…. This sounds like fun. Count me in.
CF

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 12:32pm
Welcome, CF! I've added you to the attendee list.

-------------
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 4:04pm
Six of us from the south end...plus maybe Shiner (if you are driving around instead of ferrying).  Any interest in a group run from Tacoma up to Kirkland.  Yes Leanne, I can drive slow (not Prius slow though).

-------------

Posted By: Shiner
Date Posted: July/18/13 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Sixate Sixate wrote:

Six of us from the south end...plus maybe Shiner (if you are driving around instead of ferrying).  Any interest in a group run from Tacoma up to Kirkland.  Yes Leanne, I can drive slow (not Prius slow though).

Thanks for the invite, but we are overnighting in Redmond tomorrow night.... See you at the start!

-------------

2005 Cooper -BEP -Chrome In/Out -HK Stereo - Sunroof
2014 Cooper S deLux

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 9:24pm
We're looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday at this event - it should be gorgeous weather, and lots of fun!
Remember to check the first post for things to bring with you. You'll save us all time in the morning by bringing the registration form with you, filled out - see the first post for a link to the form. Bring 2-3 pens / pencils, and you'll definitely want a clip board this year. Bring 'em if you've got 'em, but don't run off to Staples at 10 pm tomorrow - we will have some extras on hand.
Don't forget the sun screen and sunglasses, maybe a snack to tide you over until lunch, cash for XXX Burgers (they don't take debit or credit, but do have an ATM on site). Most importantly, bring your sense of humor!

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 9:25pm
What time on Tacoma to Kirkland?

-------------

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 9:30pm
Great day to go topless. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your time and hard work on this.

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 9:33pm
Makes sense. I'm on the south side of Tac Town, and will be more than happy to do a pre run run.

Jimmy

910-682-8891

-------------

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 9:43pm

Tacoma is ready.

-------------

Posted By: CyclinPapa
Date Posted: July/18/13 at 10:16pm
I think we'll be in as well.

Posted By: JulzMni
Date Posted: July/18/13 at 10:58pm
Anyone from up North coming? I'll be heading down from Stanwood but stopping in Lake Stevens to grab my navigator. If you'd like to make a MINI run to Kirkland let me know.

-------------
Julie Sterling
Stanwood, WA
2013 Roadster "Ruby"

https://www.facebook.com/julz.mni

Date Posted: July/18/13 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by ResQ176 ResQ176 wrote:

What time on Tacoma to Kirkland?

I am in Parkland (112th and Pacific). Google Maps says it is 51 minutes from here to Fred Meyer at Totem Lake. So we need to be leaving this end of town by 7 AM.

Depending on who who else wants to run up we can go either I-5 or 167 to 405.

-------------

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 8:10am
I've seen some pretty crazy Prius drivers! Anyway, we are going to shoot up 167 and 405. If anyone wants to go that way, we can meet at the tiny park & ride by 18 and 167 off the West Valley Hwy. Otherwise we will just press on since we have to leave so freaking early!

-------------
Leanne

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 8:29am
Do you love grill badges? I love grill badges! We have grill badges!

That's right grill badge fans we have badges for this event. They will be sold at registration and at lunch. Badges are $8 and we accept cash (exact change appreciated).

Just come find me at registration and/or lunch. I'll wear my orange hat so it's easy to find me.

*What's a grill badge? Grill badges are round magnetic badges. They fit on many of the MINI grill badge holders like the one from http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini-cooper-grill-badge-holder.html" rel="nofollow - OutMotoring . Want to see some badges? Come out to the rally because a lot of our members have holders with their own collections of badges.

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 8:34am
Maybe...what did you have in mind?

-------------
2010 Pepper White, Blue Denim Top
"MINIBLU" Plates

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 11:17am
I hate it when you type a post and it just "goes away..."

We can meet Leanne and Larry (CatLuvr) at the park and ride at highways 167 & 18.  How about at 7:15 AM.  Google Maps says 33 minutes to Fred Meyer from there, so that would give us a little cushion.

Get there via I-5 North from Tacoma to Highway 18 East bound.  Second exit onto West Valley Highway, right at the light and immediate right onto Peasley Canyon Road and immediately into P&R Lot.  

Easy return onto the freeway and north on 167 to 405 to Kirkland.

-------------

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 11:48am
We will most likely just drive up on our own...  So don't wait... 
Mike & Cheryl

-------------
"MINIBLU" Plates

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by catlvr2 catlvr2 wrote:

I've seen some pretty crazy Prius drivers! Anyway, we are going to shoot up 167 and 405. If anyone wants to go that way, we can meet at the tiny park & ride by 18 and 167 off the West Valley Hwy. Otherwise we will just press on since we have to leave so freaking early!

I drive the wife's Prius like it's a MINI. (well, as far as it will let me, in any case.) 

-------------

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 4:08pm

I drive the wife's Prius like it's a MINI. (well, as far as it will let me, in any case.) 

If you want to drive fast on the freeway, the two worst things you can see are:
1.) A cop in the rear view mirror
2.) A Prius in front of you!

-------------

Posted By: Th3Stig
Date Posted: July/19/13 at 5:40pm
I'm coming from Olympia, still gathering at 167 & 18 Park and Ride?

-------------
Mini-less for the time being.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11 CM S All4 Cosmic Blue. 32k
'08 MC 6spd Mellow Yellow. 112k
'09 MCSa Mellow Yellow. 43k

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 5:43pm

If you want to drive fast on the freeway, the two worst things you can see are:
1.) A cop in the rear view mirror
2.) A Prius in front of you!

I think it's possible Jeep Wrangler drivers are worse than a Prius, at least in my neighborhood! Maybe they're doing everything possible to try to get their MGP above 12....

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

Do you love grill badges? I love grill badges! We have grill badges!

That's right grill badge fans we have badges for this event. They will be sold at registration and at lunch. Badges are $8 and we accept cash (exact change appreciated).

Just come find me at registration and/or lunch. I'll wear my orange hat so it's easy to find me.

Do the event organizers get a discount? I need one of those (or two .... or three!!)

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Posted By: iseethespade
Date Posted: July/19/13 at 5:54pm
Looking forward to this. Can we bring one mini and one wanna be mini. We have 4 people in the family and are thinking about having two of us drive.

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by iseethespade iseethespade wrote:

Looking forward to this. Can we bring one mini and one wanna be mini. We have 4 people in the family and are thinking about having two of us drive.

Sure, the more the merrier!!

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 6:33pm
We have a LOT of folks who are new to rallying this year. If this is your first rally, please review the quiz questions, answers, and explanations posted in the earlier pages of this thread. They will give you some concrete examples of how to apply the rules of rallying when you encounter an intersection and feel confused. Getting a little lost can be part of the fun, but it's better not to feel completely lost!
We'll cover some of this in the driver's meeting, but it makes more sense when you see the rules "in action"!

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 6:57pm

I hate it when you type a post and it just "goes away..."

We can meet Leanne and Larry (CatLuvr) at the park and ride at highways 167 & 18.  How about at 7:15 AM.  Google Maps says 33 minutes to Fred Meyer from there, so that would give us a little cushion.

Get there via I-5 North from Tacoma to Highway 18 East bound.  Second exit onto West Valley Highway, right at the light and immediate right onto Peasley Canyon Road and immediately into P&R Lot.  

Easy return onto the freeway and north on 167 to 405 to Kirkland.

We'll be there at 7:15.

-------------
Leanne

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 7:28pm
People joke about Prius but the Subarus and Buicks are far worse in my experience.

-------------

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 7:40pm
I didn't get a confirmation from Catlvr....so ResQ176 and I decided we would meet up at the 7-11 at 96th and Pacific in Tacoma at 7 and then fly up 167 to 405 and see if we can catch Catlvr along the way....

We would love to have a third car join us. If we find the Cat-covered car on the way it will be four!

If you want to meet us there...take I-5 to exit 127...west on Hwy 512 towards Puyallup. Take the second exit (Pacific Ave). Turn left on Pacific to 96th. 7-11 on the left on the corner. It is easiest to turn at the light at 96 th and then into the lot. Mine is Laser Blue and checkered.

Would love to have you join us.

My cell us 253-217-9019.

-------------

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 8:55pm
Sorry LeeAnn that was right at the bottom of the page so I must have clicked too quickly to the next page. We may be a little behind you. We are leaving Parkland at 7....will probably catch up to you about there that exit

-------------

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 8:58pm
Won't be able to make it missed two day's of work and still recovering. Sorry

-------------
(SLYDER1 plates)

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 9:04pm

I didn't get a confirmation from Catlvr....so ResQ176 and I decided we would meet up at the 7-11 at 96th and Pacific in Tacoma at 7 and then fly up 167 to 405 and see if we can catch Catlvr along the way....

We would love to have a third car join us. If we find the Cat-covered car on the way it will be four!

If you want to meet us there...take I-5 to exit 127...west on Hwy 512 towards Puyallup. Take the second exit (Pacific Ave). Turn left on Pacific to 96th. 7-11 on the left on the corner. It is easiest to turn at the light at 96 th and then into the lot. Mine is Laser Blue and checkered.

Would love to have you join us.

My cell us 253-217-9019.

And mine is Dark Silver over Dark Silver tinted.
Tim S is going to meet us there at 07ish

My cell is 910-682-8891

-------------

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Slyderone Slyderone wrote:

Won't be able to make it missed two day's of work and still recovering. Sorry

Bummer ... hope to see you next time!

-------------
Roy & Beth Morey

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 10:58pm

Sorry LeeAnn that was right at the bottom of the page so I must have clicked too quickly to the next page. We may be a little behind you. We are leaving Parkland at 7....will probably catch up to you about there that exit

Okay, so I'm confused now. Will we meet at the park & ride or see if we come together on the way north on 167?
I guess that we will head north and hopefully come together with you on the way there.   

-------------
Leanne

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper

Date Posted: July/19/13 at 11:37pm

Okay, so I'm confused now. Will we meet at the park & ride or see if we come together on the way north on 167?
I guess that we will head north and hopefully come together with you on the way there.   

Sorry for all the confusion...it's how I roll. (LOL)
I like that plan (continue north). We will leave Parkland at 7 and should catch you along 167. There will be three of us.

-------------

Posted By: valvashon
Date Posted: July/20/13 at 8:03am
If anybody is wondering where "frequent ralliers" Bruce and Stacie are, we are sitting this one out.  This is due to Stacie's work (making a baby, which makes it hard to sit in a car for hours on end with limited access to the loo) and my work, as I have to work a graveyard shift tonight (starting at 9:00 pm!) so I'm not even sure why I'm up right now.  Everybody enjoy the Rally and we'll probably start seeing you at events on the other side of the baby.

Bruce

-------------
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...

Date Posted: July/20/13 at 2:23pm
Thanks to everyone who worked to set this up. We had a great time.

-------------
"MINIBLU" Plates

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net