Print Page | Close Window

RMW Turbo Install in a R53

Printed From: Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club
Category: Technical Discussions
Forum Name: Performance Modifications
Forum Description: Post your performance mods here or ask questions about performance mods.
URL: http://www.psmini.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11986
Printed Date: March/28/24 at 4:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RMW Turbo Install in a R53
Posted By: bchaltraw
Subject: RMW Turbo Install in a R53
Date Posted: June/04/15 at 9:01am
Well I started a project about 7 months ago now.  But it's getting closer to being done.
3" of exhaust 

Custom Intake will be coated so I can run E85

more the 3" stainless goodness

has to relocate the oil filter as the turbo made that necessary 

New intake not in yet, but more progress, heat shield in, custom alum radiator in..

Front Mounted Intercooler 

Another shot of the airbox with the top off and all the plumbing going on.

Used a R50 rear bumper to move the exhaust so it's easier to get around the battery box.

Oil cooler had to move to make room for the FMIC so might as well use the space where the supercharger intercooler was...  Wiring is for the ViPec ECU and wide band sensors.

-------------
03MCS RMW 1.63L,1000CC Injectors,RMW Turbo Kit,H+E,JCW Brakes,CAI, Polys,Strut plates,Coilsovers,,22MM rear, AST Coil overs Swift springs, 3" exht, Oil Cooler, 15x8 rims, Alpine PDX5,SPX17Pro,10'R!

Replies:
Posted By: racingbmwm3
Date Posted: June/04/15 at 4:08pm
Where do you buy E85 outside of the midwest?

-------------
'05 Cooper, BRG, Aerokit, Sport Package, 135k
'89 325iX, Diamondblack, 270k

Date Posted: June/04/15 at 5:17pm
It's available at the race track here in Phoenix.

-------------
03MCS RMW 1.63L,1000CC Injectors,RMW Turbo Kit,H+E,JCW Brakes,CAI, Polys,Strut plates,Coilsovers,,22MM rear, AST Coil overs Swift springs, 3" exht, Oil Cooler, 15x8 rims, Alpine PDX5,SPX17Pro,10'R!

Posted By: SMOG
Date Posted: June/05/15 at 3:48am
Have you been doing hand exercises to be able to hang onto the wheel when your foot hits the gas/floor boards?  Man, that is a serious Mod with a lot of potential.

Did you put the RMW heads, cams and pistons in it?

-------------
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.

Date Posted: June/05/15 at 8:54am
The motor I have a a complete RMW 1.63L motor, rods, pistons, head, cam, injectors, ViPec ECU, OS LSD, OS Grand Touring Clutch, this build can make 500hp, but because I am using a stock crank we are going to level it out around 375hp. If anyone is needing parts between Jan and Greene Preformance have been awesome.

Colin at Greene has a drop in fuel pump upgrade that really made a big change in keeping fuel rates up once I did the 550cc injectors.

-------------

Date Posted: June/05/15 at 12:25pm
Sounds like a very nice setup!  Jan and Colin really know the R-53 and it will be interesting to see if Jan ever wants to tinker around with the new 2.0L engines in the future.

-------------
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.

Date Posted: June/05/15 at 12:45pm
I saw some postings from Jan saying he is already working on a OSB port tuning option.. He is doing Fiats now also...

-------------

Date Posted: June/05/15 at 7:50pm
I'll be darned!  Last I talked with Jan he was not doing OBD port tunes for the N-18 engines let alone the newer ones!  And Fiats!?!?  Abarth has a long racing history and I think Jan might have a lot of fun trying to squeeze more HP out of those smaller engines.

What you are going with that engine should be fun to drive, but why did you leave the stock crank?

-------------

Date Posted: June/05/15 at 8:12pm
Jan built that motor last year and we didn't plan on the turbo until he needed a prototype car and mine was going to be the TVS prototype but then he changed his mind. So now it's going to be Turbo kit #1. New crank is 2100 plus install and I just don't want to wait for another 3-4 months to get my car back. It's been gone for 7 months already.

-------------

Date Posted: June/08/15 at 7:46pm
Pray you don't end up with loose bits in the pan...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net