Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prof Painter Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prof Painter Recommendation
    Posted: December/17/12 at 7:50pm
I'm looking to have the load bars (or "blades" as Thule calls them) of my new roof rack painted black. 

Anyone know of a good professional painter that would do something like this for a reasonable amount? I initially thought about powder coating,  but am worried any flexing may cause cracks then peeling.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/12 at 7:55pm
Black is the easiest color to paint. I would just shoot them with a semi-gloss out of a rattle can. 

Even something available at O'Reilly's would work. Sand them down lightly, hit them with a coat of primer, then hit them with the black paint in 2-3 smooth, thin coats. 

Unless they are flexing by a factor of 5-10% or more, cracking should not be a problem.
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/13 at 7:58pm
I ended up going with black powder coating. Had the full setup installed earlier today. The guys at Rack N Road in Bellevue were great. Here's a link to some photos

Been skiing twice so far this season. The All4 coupled with the Blizzaks are absolutely great in snow. With the cargo box installed the winter setup is now complete. (No more folding down of the rear seats to stow my snowboard) Thumbs Up 
Now to create & prioritize the things i'd like to get done ahead of the warmer months. Idea

Ain't life with a MINI just grand?! 
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/13 at 12:14pm
That looks slick! (ok, maybe slick wasn't the right word to use but I like it a lot)

leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/13 at 5:59pm
Thanks...i'll generally take any compliment irrespective of how it's phrased. But I draw the line when the words jeepers or jinkies make their appearance  LOL 
 Post Reply Post Reply