Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Site Information and Feedback > Archived Forum Topics > 2009 PSMINI Christmas Party
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPS Mini Christmas Bash 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PS Mini Christmas Bash 2009
    Posted: June/30/09 at 5:39am

Hi everyone.  I really need to get some advice and input from as many people as possible concerning this year’s Christmas party.  I know, it's barely July, but I have been doing a lot of research for a venue, this year, and there are many places that are already booked for the month of December.  I have spoken to hotels, community centers and catering companies.  Either December 5th, or 12th would be the target dates.  I need to know how you would like for me to proceed with the venue. Hotels are pricy, (around 49.00 +, but a very nice buffet, plus  everything IS provided, set-up, clean up, no host bar. With a community center, we have to cover more of the work, set up, take down and room clean up, and with a catering company, (around 35.00 + ahead, good menue, but  everything is extra. (Linens, utensils etc.)   Also, community centers only allow beer and wine.  So, it’s up to you. I have the time to research it all out, but I do believe, that, since it’s Your Party, your input would most valuable. Just keep in mind, time IS running out on booking in December.  Hope to hear your ideas soon. Also, I do need volunteers to help out with planning, donations, wrapping and any other ideas anyone else might have. Thanks in

advance,   Judy-Jo
WooHooWooHooWooHoo

The first 2009 Mini Christmas Bash Committee has been scheduled for this Wednesday, July 8th, 6:30 pm.  @ the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery in Bellevue; Their address is 550 106th Ave SE Ste 103 and phone # is 425.462.9300. If you would like to be a part of all the fun putting the event  all together for YOUR club, please join us. The more, the merrier!  Attendees so far are SS Mini, Cocoa Puff, Mini Charley and Woodstock. (oh, me too)

BowDown Thanks bunches to  the volunteers that are currently participating
and also to all that have researched out great venue locations 
(No, not crazy, this is posted here at the beginning, and also, at the very end.  Wanted ALL to see it)

Edited by KOOLBLU - July/07/09 at 11:58am
Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio
'80/'95 Green/White Tartan LE

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 5:50am
I could check with my brother (who's also a firefighter but for Tacoma) and see if Tacoma Fire's union hall is available.  I believe it can hold up to 100 people comfortably.  There's kitchen facilities there.  However, most of the parties I've attended were catered.
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 5:52am
...of course I work December 5th and December 12th. Unhappy
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
stormhyacinth View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 7:10am
I think the cheapest one is Old country buffet   My previous job was having Xmas party there cost like $15   Foods r ok not that good.
ED

SS Mini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 7:59am

If Bellevue is ok, I can see if the club house in our neighborhood is availiable. Attached is a link to the facilities.

Let me know if I should check.

- John
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 8:26am

I know that Judy Jo checked out the new Tukwila Community Center and at the time, it was available for the dates indicated.  Something we will have to act quickly on if we want it.  Would be a good location and has plenty of parking.  We would have to do our own setup and cleanup, if I recall.

It would also be worth checking with the technical culinary schools for catering as they do a really great job.  Something that Judy Jo checked out and suggested.  We've attended events catered by the Renton school and they've been wonderful.  Also one here in Everett.

I'd be in favor of just going with beer & wine (& non alcoholic beverages) to keep the costs down.
Linda

Edited by WOODSTOCK - June/30/09 at 1:08pm
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 9:17am
Bellevue is good.  I would appreciate it if you could check into the availability. Thanks
Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio

SS Mini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 10:09am
Hi Judy Jo, I'll check tomorrow and will let you know. Between the 2 days, is there a preference?

Thanks - John
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 10:53am

That's up to everyone else.  I picked those dates.  I just thought that the 19th might be to close to Christmas for everyone.  Any of them are ok by me.  Thanks John.

Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio

GUMBY LIVES View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:17am
If Bellevues OK what if I could arrange the  3-pigs BBQ MINI CLUB X-clusive?????Drool
Byrne Kelly Jr AKA GUMBY
'06'Astro Blk Met/Slver MC w/silver flames Sport Pkg HK stereo Magnaflo Exhaust Alta Lowering Kit"NOTPOKY" plates.

MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:19am
I thought events like this were done by committee.  Not sure I understand why one person is making this decision........

The committee comes up with options then presents options to the group.

A selection of two dates and no choice of locations does not sound very good to me. 

Edited by MINI-Rolls - June/30/09 at 11:22am
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:29am

Good food, but we need a location that can provde seating for 100 people, and buffet style.

Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio

GUMBY LIVES View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:31am
Originally posted by MINI-Rolls MINI-Rolls wrote:

I thought events like this were done by committee.  Not sure I understand why one person is making this decision........

The committee comes up with options then presents options to the group.

A selection of two dates and no choice of locations does not sound very good to me. 

HEAR HEAR
I AGREE
BowDown
Byrne Kelly Jr AKA GUMBY
'06'Astro Blk Met/Slver MC w/silver flames Sport Pkg HK stereo Magnaflo Exhaust Alta Lowering Kit"NOTPOKY" plates.

KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:42am

I am just trying to do some of the leg work here, Dave.  I was asked to investigate the options, without any parameters or guidance.  I have been doing the research,  and have found that many places are not available.  We don't have a lot of time here.  If the way I am handling this is not suitable to the board, or members, I certainly can back off.  Your choice.  Judy-Jo

Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio

MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:47am
Well what we have done in the past is first get a committee of members to work up ideas and then present it to the membership.  I woild be interseted in see the minutes of a board meeting that board voted on having one person research this and present it in this manner.  It has never been done like this in the past.
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 12:25pm

Maybe we could just step back here for a moment and thank Judy Jo for stepping up and volunteering to do some prelimary legwork on identifying possible locations and catering options for the Christmas party?  I believe this thread started to solicit input and suggestions from all of us, in light of the fact that the great location we've been spoiled by in the past few years isn't an option any more.  I've seen suggestions, and people stepping up willing to help with research.  I don't see anyone presenting anything yet.

I don't recall seeing options for the Christmas party presented to the membership in the past.....  I think most of us have just been grateful for the enormous amount of effort contributed by those who got together to plan the holiday party.
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 12:40pm
Mark & Judy Jo graciously volunteered to spearhead the Christmas party committee this year, which is more of a job since we lost our spot.  We discussed it a couple board meetings ago, and I'm sorry if I didn't get that info into the minutes.  Judy Jo is just doing some fact finding for us.  I know she'll be looking for committee members soon and everything will be ok'd by the board before the final site is reserved and money is spent.  Thumbs%20Up
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 12:50pm
Thanks for your comments, Beth and Kristin, they are spot on!

Dave:  first off, if you read the earlier post on appointments you would have found this:

Mark & Judy Jo Tyler (KOOLBLU) have volunteered to head up the committee for this year’s Christmas Party and are currently in search of a location.  Watch for news on volunteer opportunities in the coming months and let them know if you might have a location available.

In addition, the board meeting notes reiterated the same:

Holiday Party:  Mark & Judy Jo Tyler (KOOLBLU) have volunteered to chair the holiday party and will begin to look for locations and then solicit volunteers.

Judy Jo has put a tremendous amount of work into researching possible locations and is calling out to the members in her capacity as chairperson for any assistance and suggestions.  She and I have had discussions over the last few months and I know how hard she has worked to find a place.

In the past, the Christmas committees didn't even get formed until October or so and we didn't have to work the location issue since Jeff donated the Varsity Grille location.  Not so this year and why Judy Jo is asking for any possible suggestions.

Judy Jo is well within the scope of what we've asked her to do.  We want to encourage people to be involved and contribute and if that differs from the way it may have been done in the past, I think it's a positive change.
Linda

Edited by WOODSTOCK - June/30/09 at 1:24pm
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
Vader View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Escape Pod Escape Pod wrote:

Maybe we could just step back here for a moment and thank Judy Jo for stepping up and volunteering to do some prelimary legwork on identifying possible locations and catering options for the Christmas party?  I believe this thread started to solicit input and suggestions from all of us, in light of the fact that the great location we've been spoiled by in the past few years isn't an option any more.  I've seen suggestions, and people stepping up willing to help with research.  I don't see anyone presenting anything yet.

I don't recall seeing options for the Christmas party presented to the membership in the past.....  I think most of us have just been grateful for the enormous amount of effort contributed by those who got together to plan the holiday party.

Beth - thanks for your comments.  As someone who has headed up this party in the past, I can confirm this is a lot of work.  And, I had the fortune to have Jeff volunteer his restaurant so that was one thing less on my plate.  Wacko

Thanks to all the volunteers who are willing to step up and do research and lead activities.  That is what makes this club so great.  The second part of what makes us great is volunteers who offer to help.  So, I'll add my two cents - I can't help much on locations, but I will offer my assistance on the holiday party committee.  Let me know what I can do.
Hit the Road Jack ...
'13 R56 PepperWhite-HIS
'13 R60 All4 Oxford Green - HERS
'80 Rover Mini MkVII-EngWh-OURS (really mine!)
('13 R56 IcedChoc-SONS)
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:15pm

http://www.psmini.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5443

Thank you very much for your work Judy Jo...I know it's a lot of work but it's volunteers like you that make these events so successful. Wink

Edited by Wildfamily - June/30/09 at 11:56pm
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:24pm

Thanks everyone for your support. I will continue forward.  So everyone knows just where I am at this point, I have 2 complete estimates.  Another one should be coming in today, and I hope to have at least 2 more by the end of the week. I did choose the 5th and the 12th as date options.  It has to be on the weekend.  I know that Fridays don't work, with traffic and commuting. If Sundays are an option to you all, let me know and I can check on the 6th and 13th availability.   I do think we should start thinking about getting a committee together to go over these estimates next week, so we can get them to the board for a final decision.  Time is of the essence. So, committee volunteers, p l e a s e come on down.   Thanks,  Judy-Jo

Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio

KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/09 at 11:37pm
Yes Brenda.  Please do ask your brother about that facility.  I would really appreciate it. The more options, the better. 
Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 12:06am
My thought is ..how about a little further North this year...
Tacoma is too far South for me...
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 12:07am
How about a little further North this year???

Seattle or Bellevue?
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 12:08am
I think somewhere in Tukwila was one of the options - that's pretty centrally located. 

FYI, the reason it's been in Tacoma the last 2 years is one of our club members, who's since moved away, was able to give us the space and food for a greatly reduced cost.  We knew it was a long haul for you northenders but we couldn't beat the price.
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Kristin Kristin wrote:

I think somewhere in Tukwila was one of the options - that's pretty centrally located. 

FYI, the reason it's been in Tacoma the last 2 years is one of our club members, who's since moved away, was able to give us the space and food for a greatly reduced cost.  We knew it was a long haul for you northenders but we couldn't beat the price.

thanks Kristin
I knew that as well.. looking forward to being able ot make this years affair!
Steve
KOOLBLU View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 2:08am

Hi Steve.  Yes, we most definately, are looking into areas that are more centralized for all. So far, we have estimates from Tukwila, Renton and perhaps Bellevue. But, the search still continues.  I want to have  several estimates/locations for people to pick and choose.  We will keeep you posted.

Thanks for you input.  Approve Judy-Jo
Mark & Judy-Jo
'07 R52 Cool Blue Cabrio

SS Mini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 4:27am
Ummm, yeah...

Judy Jo, just heard back and unfortunately both those dates are booked. She did mention that Friday, the 18th is open but all Saturdays are booked already. She going to send me the rates and packages just in case. I'll forward that once I recieve it.

I'll keep thinking of locations... Good luck in your search, it does sound like it's not going to be easy.

- John
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 5:00am

I think the problem of securing a date on a Saturday was the reason we ended up with a Sunday party last year.  It seems to me it was still well attended.  Perhaps it's worth finding out about venues that are available on Sunday? 

Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
MiniCharley View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/09 at 5:14am
Judy Jo...  any help you need, count us in!
Our family:
12 R60 All4 SB/Blk WILDBLUE
12 R59 JCW Roaster PB/RED APOLLO

04 IB/W MCS CHARLEY
12 All4 CB/Bk YONDER
12 CoupeS LB/Bk DBCOUPE
80 Mini Kensington Red STELLA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>