Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 Front seat belt replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 Front seat belt replacement
    Posted: July/25/14 at 9:34pm

CINIMIN (2006 Cooper S) has a right side front seatbelt that has self destructed - needs to be replaced.  Has anyone had this problem?  Replacement belt is available for about $160 - how big a job is it to replace the belt and are any special tools required?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/14 at 8:29pm
The only special tools (if you would call it that) are a Torx socket (I think it's a T-45 or a T-50) and a body panel clip remover tool, both available at any auto parts shop. 

The bottom belt bolt is visible next to the B-pillar. 
To access the upper (shoulder) harness bolt and the retractor assembly, you need to pull back the rear quarter panel liner (no need to remove all the way, it should flex enough). After doing so, you will see the screw (or screws, I forget) holding in the the upper light grey panel, which will give you access to the upper (shoulder) harness bolt. The retractor assembly should be visible at the bottom of the B-pillar behind that rear quarter panel liner. 

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/14 at 7:34am
Thanks for the info Kurt - I may give this a try.  Was a little concerned about getting involved with airbag stuff and having to completely remove the rear quarter panel.  Belt is damaged so I need to do a complete replacement.
Jack -

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/14 at 8:24am
Driving a little fast too again and causing Linda to chew on the belt?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/14 at 8:44am
LOL  These days I seem to be driving too slow for Linda's approval...
Jack -

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/14 at 9:54pm
Jack- I believe "best practices" as outlined by the Bentley manual involves replacing any hardware that holds the seats or seat belts in place after they are removed.  In other words, use new hardware (probably from the MINI parts counter to insure you are getting the correct bolt hardness) when you re-assemble the seat belt.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/14 at 9:05am

Good point Bruce - I ordered the replacement belt assembly - I'll wait to see what hardware comes with it.  I know it includes the whole assembly for the belt mechanism but not sure what else might be included.

Jack -

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/14 at 8:07pm

Thursday - August 8

The new belt assembly arrived today.  I had previously removed the old frayed belt assembly (#50 Star bit required) without completely removing the inner quarter panel but I di have to pop out the bottom rear seat cushion.  Instillation was easy - once I figured out how to get the automatic retract mechanism to release so I could get some slack belt to work with.  It did take a bit of effort to get the inner trim pieces back in place.  Nothing on my 2006 hatch looked anything like the pictures and drawings in Bently, by the way.  Thanks to those who provided tips!

Jack -

Post Reply Post Reply