Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - R53 JCW smell of burnt oil on hard acceleration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 JCW smell of burnt oil on hard acceleration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 JCW smell of burnt oil on hard acceleration
    Posted: December/02/15 at 10:10pm
Hey guys,

I've had my '05 JCW R53 (~70k mi) for about 2 months now -- picked it up from the outskirts of LA and had it shipped over. It's in good condition overall, but I noticed that upon hard acceleration I get a strong smell of burnt oil or burnt something (I don't think it's rubber but I can't tell for sure). It tends to happen if I accelerate up to and/or over 5k RPM, typically on 2nd or higher gears, and I feel it's gotten more frequent now in the last week which has me worried. 

There appear to be others having this same question/problem: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/186722-burning-smell-after-hard-acceleration.html.

Anyone here know how to diagnose this? Is it time for a run of Seafoam through the tank? Is it indicative of something else? Car seems to run great otherwise, cold-starts fine, etc.

Thanks for any pointers!

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/15 at 10:33pm
I'm going with the burning clutch theory. It will be a chemical/synthetic smell similar to overheated brakes. It's unlikely you would smell unburned fuel or burned oil. The conditions you describe are exactly the conditions where a clutch would slip.

Start saving for a clutch. 

PS: I replace clutches for local MINI owners. I've done probably a couple dozen by now. Let me know if interested. 

beemboy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/15 at 1:50pm
Ouch, sounds bad if that is indeed the case. Thanks for the offer ! How do I get in touch with you? I'm located in Kirkland.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/15 at 2:25pm
Send me a private message on this forum and I'll share my email.
beemboy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/16 at 12:17pm
Just reposted this here (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r50-r53-hatch-talk-2002-2006/299876-r53-jcw-smell-of-burnt-something-on-hard-acceleration-3rd-to-4th-or-4th-to-5th.html#post4182872) for wider coverage: it's gotten a bit worse. Zahntech told me my clutch still has at least 10k on it.
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/16 at 8:31pm
Curious - what's the average life of an R53 clutch in your experience?
David & Linda
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/16 at 9:57pm
If your clutch smells and is slipping, I think what they mean is you have about 10K left before it leaves you stranded. 
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/16 at 9:57pm
Average seems to be around 130K, I just replaced one for someone that was 200K on the original clutch. 
 Post Reply Post Reply