Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Racing Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 racing at ORP 9/17/2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 racing at ORP 9/17/2011
    Posted: September/21/11 at 8:02am

Here is some video of an R53 (first 10 minutes or so) that was racing at ORP last weekend shot from one of the PRO3 cars. Hank Moore is the driver of the MINI (from Deer Park near Spokane) and Chuck Hurley is driving the PRO3 car. Having driven my MINI at the track in the past I always suspected they would run pretty close with a PRO3 car and in fact that looks to be the case. I never ran with R-comps, but suspected that if I did it would make up most of any difference. Looking at the results, Hank's qualifying time at ORP was 1.58.905 vs 1.57.157 for the top PRO3 car. In the race his best lap was a 1.59.347 vs 1.58.425 for the top PRO3 car. Unfortunately for the MINI they are classed (class is SPU) against some cars I suspect they could never beat (Porsche GT3 Cup car, Subie WRX, E46 M3, etc). In fact the winner in SPU was the Porsche GT3 with a 1.45.970. Hopefully someday there will be more chance for the MINI to be more competetive in the classifications or even better there get to be enough of them around they can have there own class. That would be really cool.
Martin
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 9:16am
Thanks Martin - very nice! 
That track is a roller coaster. I hope that maybe I will get to drive it next year. 

The MINI performs very well. It looks like the rear end gets a little light through some of those off camber turns....

When I was at Thunderhill last February, I did hear about some interest for creating a MINI race class similar to Pro3, as the R53s drop in cost. 
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 9:46am
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Thanks Martin - very nice! 
That track is a roller coaster. I hope that maybe I will get to drive it next year. 

The MINI performs very well. It looks like the rear end gets a little light through some of those off camber turns....

When I was at Thunderhill last February, I did hear about some interest for creating a MINI race class similar to Pro3, as the R53s drop in cost. 
I'd be all over that!
'80 Mini English White
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 7:26pm
Cool Martin, brought back some memories.  It's the supercharger that complicates things for the MINI to be placed in a competitive class.  Hopefully time and interest will tell although this is only the second MINI to race in Conference since me. 
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/11 at 9:40pm
Dang have to wait till I get home to see the video.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/11 at 1:42am
Nice , Thanks Martin, Do you know the mods that Hanks has on the car?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/11 at 7:26am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Nice , Thanks Martin, Do you know the mods that Hanks has on the car?

I do
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/11 at 7:29am
I'm not sure John, haven't seen his car in person yet. I know that SPU class is modeled after SCCA IT class.

'80 Mini English White
 Post Reply Post Reply