Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReal tire as spare?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Real tire as spare?
    Posted: November/17/08 at 10:46am
Found a pair of Continental stock tires for cheap on Craigslist.  Size is 175 65R15, which is an odd size according to the folks at Discount Tire- they had to special order me a pair of Continental ProContacts in that size.  Since they took a week to get here, I have been nervous about what would happen if I have a blowout on the road- I don't want to limp home from Spokane or someplace like that on the donut.

My question is: will an unmounted spare fit over the donut and then will this whole assembly be able to be fitted in the spare tire space?  I'm not talking about taking the dounut tire off, just being able to carry an "extra" of my oddly sized tires with me when on a long trip, such as to Spokane, North Dakota, Portland, road testing your next favorite MINI drive scheduled for this spring Wink, or AMVIV.;

Although putting a spare on the roof for the AMVIV drive would look "rally", it's not something I want to do any time I go more than 100 miles from home base.

Thanks-

Bruce

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/08 at 7:21am
OK- for all 14 of you following along, no this does not work. Not only will the donut fit inside of a real tire, a real tire will not fit inside of the space under the back of the car that the donut fits into. It appeared that one might be able to shove it into place without the plastic holder thing but then how would it stay in there- and then since it would be the lowest thing on the car there is a real chance that it would get snagged on something.

So for long trips, it's a bagged tire for me!

Bruce

Post Reply Post Reply