Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended shop in PS area for R53 mods?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended shop in PS area for R53 mods?
    Posted: July/29/15 at 2:10pm
Hello fellow miniacs

In light of how difficult it has been for me to find an '05 or '06 JCW R53 with less than 80k miles, I'm considering picking up an R53 Cooper S instead, and modding it with a Quaife LSD and supercharger pulley reduction, etc. Do you guys have a shop in the Seattle/Puget Sound area you'd recommend for this type of work? Thanks!

beemboy
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/15 at 2:47pm
All you need is Kurt (Corners on here)!

07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
beemboy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/15 at 3:08pm
Oh wow, I just looked him up and found out I've been looking at his 04' modded R53 video over and over again Shocked

Had no idea he's a couple of miles up the road from me! Does he run a shop? Or is he just a guy that works and races cars?
vballkid77 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vballkid77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/15 at 3:22pm

I know for my suspension work (didn't really want to drop the subframe myself) I went to a place in Tacoma, but mainly because I know a guy who knows a guy there.  They do a lot of custom suspension/paint/audio on cars down here

'11 Justacooper Midnight black//JCW Crossbrace//Lowered on Konis/H&R springs//Konig wheels//DDMWorks intake//more on the way...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/15 at 8:20am

ZahnTech in Kirkland is a club sponsor and does excellent work.  Many satisfied PSMIN customers.

(PM sent)

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/15 at 12:19pm
Kurt (Corners) is an excellent Mechanic and get you taken care of..
New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
weescot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weescot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/15 at 2:23pm
Up north in Bellingham, Northwest European Autoworks does excellent work on all mechanical upgrades. Ron and his team have performed servious engine, drivetrain, suspension and exhaust system modifications on my 05 MCS:   http://nweuropean.com/
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/15 at 12:51pm
Hi. I work out of my home garage on weekends. If there are any unhappy campers, nobody's telling me. I'm not a professional mechanic, but probably the next best thing and way cheaper. I know the R53 platform like the back of my hand. I've done the Quaife mod on my own car and probably a dozen or more pulley installs (I have a shelf full of stock pulleys), plus at least 15 clutch jobs. Let me know if you'd like some work done.
beemboy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/15 at 1:13pm
Awesome, thank you. I've watched your videos online -- especially the pulley mod -- and I must've watched your test drive of the modded '04 more times than I'd admit in public (oops, just did. But that *sound*...). I'm considering buying an MCS with the LSD but it's great to know that the Quaife one's got a way better lockup (per your reply on the other thread).

How much do you expect a Quaife LSD install to go for roughly in $$$?
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/15 at 1:17pm
I think the LSD costs about $900-1000 and it would be the same labor as a clutch install  + another hour or so to install the LSD. You can send me a PM to discuss labor cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply