Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rota RB Wheels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rota RB Wheels
    Posted: May/15/09 at 9:42pm
Greetings All!

Does anyone have experience or recommendations with Rota RB wheels?  Possibly 16"x7"?

What are your thoughts on quality?

Stephen

Edited by Soggy-1 - May/06/10 at 4:25pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kulmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/09 at 11:57pm

Stephen,

I recently purchased a set of 16x7 Rota RB flat black wheels for my wife's Cooper.  She  loves them as do I.  I already had tires so I bought just the wheels and had the tires mounted and balanced once they arrived.  It took me a long time to convience my wife these were the right wheels for her yellow and black Cooper but based on all the positive comments, it works.  I am very happy with them.

I purchased them from http://www.fastmini.net/
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/09 at 12:06am
Kulmini!

Thank you for the input!  I sure like the looks of a more traditional wheel.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
kulmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kulmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/09 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Soggy-1 Soggy-1 wrote:

Kulmini!

Thank you for the input!  I sure like the looks of a more traditional wheel.

Stephen

A more traditional look plus the black to go with the black on my wife's Cooper was what I was looking for and the fact that they fit without spacers.  The folks I purchased gave good service.  I did find a place that sold them for $500 to include shipping but they jacked me around so much I canceled that order.  They were out of CA.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/09 at 12:49am
Kulmini:

Thanks for the heads-up on the CA. place of business.  I do not need more hassles in my life!

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/09 at 10:37am
Nothing wrong with Rota's Stephen nice rims and they have some nice light ones. Don gave you a good site I second his choice. I myslef like the Rota's Boost, the Circuit 10 and the Torques.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/09 at 11:05pm
John:

Thanks for the reassurance!

Looks like it is time to sell the Bridgespokes and the Goodyear RFT that came on the Mini.  With 350 miles on the RFT they should sell fairly easily, hopefully.

Stephen

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 9:47am

16x7 Rota RB's

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 10:18am
That look nice,

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 10:20am
Thank you John!  I considered a lighter color for the spokes but I did not want silver.

S.

Edited by Soggy-1 - February/26/10 at 10:21am
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 10:26am
I also have this set.  Sport Edition A-7, 16x7-1/2.

The silver look but I must admit that these are a lot easier to clean.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 11:16am
Is that the hyper black or the gunmetal with the royal lip. I keep looking at the hyper black myself.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 11:56am
J:

They were supposed to be the lighter of the two, but I believe they are gunmetal but at this point not sure.

Edited by Soggy-1 - February/26/10 at 11:57am
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 11:58am
J:

The 17's would be easier to clean than the 16's.

S.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/10 at 12:40pm
John:

Here is the best price on Rota RB's that I have seen.  http://lsdmotorsports.com/prod/RBE-1670404100-BKRL.html

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/10 at 12:51pm
Stephen:

Thanks Thumbs Up

John

craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/10 at 1:17pm
Now both of you just stop it!  I'm getting a set of the 17" Rota RBs in gloss black (hyper-black?) with machined rims.  I have a pepper white w/ black roof MCS, so if you get the Rotas too, how will I feel I've personalized my car any more? .................. ;-)  Craig
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/10 at 1:33pm
No worries Craig, I was looking at the Torques or the G-Forces Big smile

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/10 at 7:11pm
Fear not Craig!

I am working on getting a set of PIAA Euro Tech 17x7's.  The question I have is who has the least expensive TPMS, that works with the OE in the Mini, for that wheel?

Stephen
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/10 at 8:11pm
I had a site that that is all they sold, but I have not seen any cheap ones. Some of the people that sell them with there rims I don't think they relize there cost. I will look when I get home.

John

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 5:13pm
Update!  The Rota Gunmetal wheels were a little bit to dark for my taste so I took the leap and painted them.  Many thanks to ItalianJob (Stefano) for the confidence boost in seeing what he did with his wheels.

I used DupliColor Dark Bronze & Clear Coats.

Original color, Gunmetal, is a wee bit darker, in person, than the new Dark Bronze.  The Gunmetal was more black w/metalflake where as the Dark Bronze has brown  w/metalflake in it.

Finished.

Finished product.

Finished Clear Coat.

Sanding with scuffy pad.

Clear Coating.

Edited by SMOG-1 - November/15/10 at 7:59pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 7:32pm
Ooh, those look nice! 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 8:03pm
Thanks Kurt!  It is a big decision whether to put the Brembo BBK on my new Mini, that is on the ship, and be forced to use 17" wheels or keep the "S" brakes and use these 16" wheels.  These wheel/tire combos weigh about 32 pounds, my 17" PIAA Eurotech w/Bridgestone RE760's weigh 38 pounds.  Decisions, decisions, decisionsQuestion.

S.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 8:33pm
Sorta depends on if you experience with the S brakes doesn't it?  If in your driving you aren't boiling the brake fluid and experiencing fade is there any reason to go to different brakes?  Keep n mind, the S brakes will out brake just about all but the stickies tires...  To prove this, on dry pavement get up to speed and then do a panic stop - if the ABS engages, the tires are losing traction before the brakes are losing stopping power.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 8:39pm
Good point Jack!  I don't track the car but twisties through the mountains on fairly deserted roads is waaaay fun!  Driving down the coast to Santa Barbara or some of those great little highways in the Sierras(out of tourist season) makes a person appreciate good brakes.

I will take your suggestionThumbs Up.

S.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 8:48pm
If you don't track the car, or have never experienced brake fade or a 'scary moment,' you probably don't need upgraded brakes. I don't know if an upgraded brake kit would help much for a normal highway road unless you don't downshift and ride your brakes the whole way down the hill. 
(This is coming from a guy who just upgraded his brakes, but for track use. Don't get me wrong. I can tell the upgraded brakes have a little more 'capacity' than the stock, but I doubt I would ever be able to push them to their limit without going on a track. On the street, the cost/benefit is questionable. ) 

Edited by CORNERS - November/15/10 at 8:49pm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 9:03pm
Both SMOG-1 and SMOG-2 are automatics which means more brake usage.  The slushbox tranny is not very inspiring when trying to decelerate.  That is the reason that I have been thinking about the JCW (factory warranty) BBK.  The fade that all have been referring to is something I have only experienced with older vehicles, although my GMC 1994 Suburban had the worst brakes I have ever used; very unpredictably bad.  Cruising through red lights, stop signs, plowing into 2 cars(separate occasions) all because of crappy ABS system! 

On a track if you blow a corner the paramedics are there immediately.  Going over a cliff or stacking into the side of a mountain it could take hours or days before someone encounters the wreckage.  I have been in the hours to encounter situation before and it is a weird feeling sitting there is a pile of wreckage in the middle of the road and no cars passing for hours.

So, I have an unusual fondness for good brakes. 

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 9:20pm
Something to keep in mind is since the use of JCW of 1st gen brakes as a standard brake package on the 2nd gen minis that are alot more choices of brake compounds out there. You might be happy with after maket pad and brake fluid without having to go BBK. Pat might be able to help.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/10 at 10:12pm
On Linda's car (Cooper S Automatic) I always select "sport mode by moving the shift lever to the right one notch when descending hills - that locks out overdrive and lets me choose which gear to be in with the lever or with the paddles.  (One of the first things I learned about driving when I was about 12 from my dad is that the correct gear to use when going down a hill is the same gear you would use to go up the same hill.  I agree with John that a good set of street pads and correctly maintained tire pressures should be enough to get you stopped safely in any enthusiastic street / mountain road driving.

While we are here - does anyone else use pre-warming as a breaking technique in situations where you anticipate you might be using brakes aggressively?    
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/10 at 1:46am
What brakes??? LOL

You know there are some interesting theories when you start talking about ,mass, inertia, centrifugal force and ZEN balance.

Edited by johnf36 - November/18/10 at 1:46am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>