Topic ClosedRun Flats Tire Experiences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Run Flats Tire Experiences
    Posted: April/27/05 at 9:01am

Greetings,

My MC should be rolling off the assembly line this week (according to the MINI customer service folks) and then the wait on shipping begins. I have the sport package, which includes run flat tires. I've seen some posts elsewhere complaining about a perceived harsh ride and road noise associated with run flats. Is that hyperbole or has anyone here had a similar experience? How long and well do run-flats normally wear? Any suggestions on good all-around tires once the wear on the run flats prompts replacement? Are these too many questions at once?

Joel Myer
Tumwater, WA

Zeppo is an Astro Black/W MINI Cooper. CVT, sport package, sport exhaust, chrome line exterior, fog lights f/b, chrome line interior.
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/05 at 9:53am

I have about 20M on my Goodyear all season runflats on S lites.  I have an s so my ride may be a little harsher than yours.  You have to watch out on rough roads as the pot holes will put dents in your roof.  On smooth pavement, they are fine.  Perhaps not as quiet as many tires, but tolerable.  So far, they have been ok.  I do notice that they are not the stickiest and have been able to break traction fairly easy but, the car handles so very well, it doesn't really seem to make any difference.  Just an interesting experience.

Still have quite a bit of tread but I don't autocross or burn them.

Not sure what I will do when they wear out.  I really like the notion of run flats, especially since the S doesn't have a spare.  I hear there are some very good sticky runflats out there so will certainly do some shopping before I by.

Rob

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/05 at 11:30am
I had the runflats on my MC but I had SS+ and the ride was not to bad.  I kept the air pressure more on the high side also, but this did not cause the ride to be any worse.
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/05 at 12:20pm
I have the run-flats on my MCS.  The ride is way softer when I have my snow tires on, but they don't handle as well in the corners.  I think the stiff sidewall of the run-flats helps in the hard conering.  They aren't the most sticky though.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
joelmyer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/05 at 2:20am

Thanks for everyone's comments. It's good to know about the handling issue. Regarding the ride quality, I had assumed that it was going to be a bit less cushy, but that wasn't my main concern.

Since some of this is subjective, I guess the best thing to do is wring her out and see how the tires feel for my type of driving (after the break-in period, of course).

Edited by joelmyer
Joel Myer
Tumwater, WA

Zeppo is an Astro Black/W MINI Cooper. CVT, sport package, sport exhaust, chrome line exterior, fog lights f/b, chrome line interior.
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/05 at 1:17pm

Here is my 2 cents, First, I have never had a car that handles this well, short compact and powerful.

The tires. I have the runflats, and don't find them to be noisy at all, even with radio off there is no road noise. I bought the Mini for the sportiness, so feeling every bump was my intention. As long as the shocks are good, everything is OK. I haven't found myself having to dodge any bumps in the road, I don't even slow down for the metal plates they put on the road when doing repairs.

As a side note, until I bought the MINI, I had owned nothing but older model cars, at least ten years old. The newest I owned previously was  an 88 Opel Manta.

Driving in Europe is more fun!
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/05 at 5:02am
I replaced my Euforias at 25k, replacing them with non-runflats.  I haven't noticed much difference in the handling, rarely doing even 7-10ths on the road, but the ride is much improved.  I could tell instantly, just driving out of the parking lot after having the new tires fitted.  I have a can of fix-a-flat in the boot compartment on the right side.  My runflats were done-in by a puncture, but they were getting toward the end of their lives, anyway.  I had one track day on mine, and they still would have gone 30k, I think.
Tweety View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/05 at 6:14am

Why does it seem like the only owners getting things stuck in their tires are those with run-flats? (Including myself).  I think there is a conspiracy by the tire companies and they are putting magnets inside so we will have to replace them sooner.

So far I am just a fair season driver and have not driven in the snow/ice.  Those of you who have owned their MINI through the cold season, how well do we do in the snow?  I just have the stock all season runflats, thinking that I won't have to buy a summer and winter set.  I'm just wondering if I need to save up to buy snow tires and if she will make it up any hills in the snow.  Thanks!

MCS with white bonnet stripes, Steptronic Trans, Union Jack mirror caps, GPS NAV, 15% Pulley, OEM Light mod, NGK Iridium plugs, the most amazing Chilli Red Intercooler Cover made by Dave (MINI-rolls)
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/05 at 8:45am
athena (my 2003 coop with runflat) handeled great in germanys winter,i give em two thumbs up
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/05 at 3:50pm
In Germany I used winter tires to handle the snow after we almost bit it in our Volvo with all seasons. We couldn't get up this small hill. The next winter we had winter tires on the Volvo too, no problem with the hill. Not sure where you were Hahnsie, but in Bavaria winter tires were a must.
Driving in Europe is more fun!
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/05 at 4:47pm
i was in mannheim not to much snow
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/05 at 12:12am
Tweety,
  I have a set of snow tires that I put on in the winter, but I have the performance run-flats which aren't the greatest in the snow, IMO.  I guess some people who went on the MINIs in the Snow run should chime in on this one.

PS: I suggest Blizzaks if you get snow tires.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
Covington Mini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/05 at 7:14am

I had 30k on my runflats and couldn't wait to get a new set.  They were visibly worn, and although I could probably have managed a few more miles on them, I decided to use a nail in the tire as a sign from above that I needed to get new tires.

My new ones are not runflats and, like others, I could tell the minute I drove off the lot that the ride was better.  The handling was also better, but that could have been in my head. 

I drive an '02 with the sports plus suspension, so I also like a stiff ride, but with the new tires, that ride is much improved.  I can still feel every bump... they just don't send me to the chiropractor anymore.

minibot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/05 at 7:50am

Granted I haven't driven much, but I honestly don't mind the road noise, or the bumpiness of the ride. It's not all that harsh, and the road noise is less than my former ride, a 2000 Subaru Outback Sport. I think some people may think I'm nuts, but in Miles I don't think I get that much road noise--I can hear the radio without cranking it all the way up. In Beatrice (Outback) I couldn't, and that makes a huge difference.

With the sport seats, I think the bumps are actually rather nice. Heated sport seats feels like your MINI's giving you a hug.

Edited by minibot
Covington Mini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/05 at 12:37am

Granted, my seats aren't heated, but I felt the same way 2 years ago!

Now, what would REALLY be cool is a heated gear shift knob!  That sucker gets very, very cold some mornings.  I'm afraid that if my hands get clammy at all, they'll stick to the gear shifter like a kid's tongue on a frozen flag pole.

Post Reply Post Reply