Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Warranty Issues and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Service Dates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service Dates
    Posted: December/03/13 at 9:08am
FYI for all of you who purchased a new MINI.

The date that MINI says it went into service, and from which the warranty is based, is NOT the date you took delivery of the MINI.

I just found that out when I went to get my 2011 MINI serviced for the last time under Warranty/Service.

Just thought you all might like to know that fact.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Hop-A-Long View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hop-A-Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 9:14am
good to know

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 9:36am
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

FYI for all of you who purchased a new MINI.

The date that MINI says it went into service, and from which the warranty is based, is NOT the date you took delivery of the MINI.

Hi SMOG,
It should be. What are they basing your date on?
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 11:15am
I am not sure.  I took delivery on 11 Dec 2010 so I suspect the dealership probably took delivery on the 5th and installed the "dealer installed options" like the JCW Brakes and Driving Lamps.

So, in other words, the dealership is charging you in days of warranty and service that you never saw or got to use the car.

Interesting...

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 1:08pm
Well, that makes more sense. It's not something I agree with but I understand it.

My opinion of what happened:
The JCW brakes and driving lamps are dealer installed options. They shouldn't, or maybe even can't, be installed on a new MINI because those are not factory options. The dealership should have probably completed the paperwork before installing those things but there is that fine line between delivering the car with the dealer installed options already on the car or making you take delivery with an IOU.

You are talking a difference of a week.. which is significant. I'm sure there are lots of "a couple days" differences that people don't even realize may be out there.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 1:28pm
Yes, when you buy and car, configure it on the MINI-USA web site and get it produced to spec (a real joke), then you assume that the day it goes into service is the day you get it.

I suppose the day it hit USA soil off the dock could be called "In Service" since someone other than a German or British citizen was driving it.  With any luck a US citizen was driving it to the car carrier where it then was trucked up the coast on US roads.

The ability to pick an option for the car on the MINI-USA web site and have it built that way is not correct because as far as MINI is concerned those are wishes and not reality.  Look at the wheel and tire options that you are allowed to check and then when the dealer gives you the car without them you are told it can't be done.  BS, I could be done, I was charged for the selected options but not given them.  How many of you MINI owners who elected to buy a MINI and have it built got "All Season" tires?  They are a zero charge option but I was told they don't come that way. when the car was delivered.  Same with the wheels that fit the JCW brakes.  Some fit and some don't, which I knew, but the 17" ones I wanted came on the JCW were an option that the config tool said would work but did not.

MINI is not looking all that good in my eyes as far as honesty and I told them that.  Their response was "Oh well, sorry you feel that way, there is nothing we can do". 

People should pay attention to how they are being subtly manipulated by MINI.

Edited by SMOG - December/03/13 at 1:30pm
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 3:46pm
The word arrogant still seems to fit.  I should say that most of the issues we all experience are not caused by the local dealers, tho some may disagree.  My own thinking is that the dealer reps and folk above that are making the corporate decisions and refusing to do what seems right.  The dealer personnel really do try to make things right for us.  Ask me about the oft cracked JCW exhaust (and no - not the break by the cat - further downstream).

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

The word arrogant still seems to fit.  I should say that most of the issues we all experience are not caused by the local dealers, tho some may disagree.  My own thinking is that the dealer reps and folk above that are making the corporate decisions and refusing to do what seems right.  The dealer personnel really do try to make things right for us.  Ask me about the oft cracked JCW exhaust (and no - not the break by the cat - further downstream).

Pat

+1!
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/13 at 8:30am
I've never owned a BMW. I know a lot of people who have. Their stories are pretty much the same when they acquire a model with a "known" issue and said model is "out of warranty". I love the MINI brand but situations like the above remind me that we are not too many layers away from how BMW has been operating for decades. It's just our situation is condensed because it's only been recently that MINI has had multiple models on which to spread issues around.

Now, to Onramp's point about it being a local dealer problem or a corporate problem. The dealer needs to get paid for their work and that requires authorization from corporate. I've seen our local dealers go way beyond my expectations when it came to making a case for the customer and fighting to get that authorization. I think the 2 dealer network we have here in the Puget Sound is pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good when compared to stories from other parts of the country.

Also, I was just playing with the new configurator. Looks like they have cleaned up the JCW accessory bit to prevent you from trying to order a brake/wheel combo that won't work. Or at least it warns you there is a conflict.

One more thing while I am at the keyboard. When the MINIs hit the VDC they are certainly not in service. I've heard stories of MINI repairing damage from shipping and still selling the car new with no disclosure of the damage. Apparently they are allowed to do this based upon how the vehicles enter the country and are processed through the VDC. It requires that the vehicle still be "in transit" and not technically on US soil yet or something. As an example.... the 2013 GP started hitting the ground in January with delivery starting in April. I'll be sure my warranty didn't start 4 months before I took delivery.

Post Reply Post Reply