Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Dealer Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Service Engine Soon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service Engine Soon
    Posted: January/06/12 at 3:00pm
Three times in the last six months the Service Engine light has come on, only to go out again before I take any action.  In each instance the light was on for a week.  I know that insufficient tightening of the gas cap can cause the light to come on, but it's not that.   Any other likely culprits?  Am I correct that there's no way to identify the problem unless the light is on?  That is, there's no history of codes stored, so the only way to diagnose the problem would be to take it in when the light is on? 
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/12 at 3:50pm
You can get yourself a scan meter, I think mine was about $30. Plug it in and read the codes. then you can erase them. I get a few misfire codes on my '05 R50.

Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/12 at 3:54pm
I think there is a history stored.

My GF's MINI had the light come on, we made appointment, before it could get in the light went out. It then went back on right before the appointment. Turned out to be the engine misfiring which triggered the light and then the problem would clear itself for some time and then come back. MINI said they were able to trace the original CEL to a misfire from reading the computer.

Do you notice and performance problems? She saw a drop in fuel economy even before the light went on and a change in how the car idled and left the line from a dead stop.

Long way of saying, yes, I believe there is a history.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/12 at 2:17am
Misfire is a common cause. Check your ignition coil - my bet is the third plug contact is rusty. Also, on a 2002, it might not be a bad idea to inspect or replace the plugs / wires. 
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/12 at 1:39pm
Thanks for the ideas.  The plugs have only about 10k on them, but I'll take a closer look at the wires.
My gas mileage is fluctuating, which is the only effect that I've noticed.  I usually average 27mpg like clockwork, but the last fill-up was closer to 25, and the one before that was 28.  I never "top off", so filling at different stations might account for some of that, but I do generally always get 27-point something MPG on every fill-up.
'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/12 at 10:10am
OK, so why is only the #3 coil contact rusty!!  The others are clean as a whistle.  I may blow some $ on a new coil and wires.  Any consensus "best" parts to buy?  I am known to be lazy and just drive the ten minutes to the Seattle MINI parts department . . .

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/12 at 5:18pm
You could probably do better with almost any aftermarket "coil" if you will and wires.  Rusting of the #3 is a known problem, but I haven't heard why it happens.  If you get the factory replacement parts, they will just rust on #3 again (probably).  Don't know if the aftermarket stuff corrodes like that or not.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/12 at 11:59am
I did a bit of surfing on NAM and MINI2, and the consensus appears to be that the factory coil and wires are as good as any, there's no need to replace them unless they're broken.  The one thing I did discover is that the (otherwise all but identical to factory) MSD coil has brass rather than plated-steel contacts, so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. 
I cleaned the #3 contact, but if the plating has been compromised, then it will be a recurring problem, even if it's not the cause of my problem.  I found the MSD coil and wire set on ebay for $150, which seems like a pretty good deal, if I want to start throwing money at it.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/12 at 2:59pm
Actually I am dissembling my MINI today for a performance head install, and noticed that my aftermarket MSD coil is showing a bit of corrosion/deposits on terminal 3 as well, even though it's brass. Strange! I wonder if it has something to do with the angle of the engine and water gets up there or something?? 

RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/12 at 4:01pm
I got a postcard from Seattle MINI, offering a discount on a 4-wheel alignment, so I made an appointment for that, an oil change, and investigating the light.  When I told the gal at Seattle MINI service that the light was on, she replied, "You know about the issue with the gas cap?", meaning did I know that the light will come on if the cap's not tight; but have there been any issues the cap seal failing over time?  That the light keeps coming on and then going out again makes me wonder what sort of problem might be intermittent like that?  Maybe the cap isn't (always) sealing like it should.  Or, maybe I need a new engine!

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/12 at 4:45pm
It could be almost anything. Gas cap is one possibility. 

The techs will need to read the OBDII code to determine the issue. (or you could read it yourself with an off the shelf OBDII reader)
DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/12 at 9:19pm
OBD II readers are sooo cheap, everyone should have one!

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/12 at 10:20am

My shadetree mechanic (electrician?) days are mostly behind me.  I seem to be able to find time and motivation to work on my van, but when the MINI needs something, I generally pay someone else to do it.  Having owned a couple of Triumphs, I got a lifetime of experience and experiences in ten years' time. 

Post Reply Post Reply