Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shifter and E-brake gaiters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter and E-brake gaiters
    Posted: April/28/16 at 8:03am

I had already repaired a crack in the e-brake gaiter, and another one was forming, so went looking for real leather replacements for the factory pleather pieces.

I found youtube videos that covered removal of the old pieces and installation of the new:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ly9AcOaGgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlMzHICf2k

Ebay revealed a nice set of "Italian leather" gaiters from The Tuning-Shop Ltd, for a very reasonable $20 plus shipping (couldn't have been included in the $1200 leather interior option?).

It took about a week for shipping, and without having to review the videos that I'd watched a week earlier, I installed the new pieces in about an hour.

The leather is jet-black, not quite matching the dark-gray "panther black" seats, but the interior has at least four different shades of silver, gray and black, so the slightly different color doesn't stand out.

It's a nice upgrade, and even though it's easy, there's a nice sense of accomplishment in seeing, and smelling, the new bits.

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
RickB View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/15/16 at 1:38pm

After six weeks, I'm getting sort of tired of the smell.  I love the smell of leather, opening a box containing a new belt or holster is a distinct pleasure, but if the car has been in the sun for any amount of time, these new leather pieces really smell. 

I certainly don't regret replacing fake leather with real, but the staying power of the smell is truly remarkable.

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
 Post Reply Post Reply