Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Size Matters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Size Matters
    Posted: November/21/10 at 1:21pm
Hi,

I am shopping for steel wheels and winter tires and I came across this post on Craigslist:

4 Studded snow tires mounted on steel wheels. good shape. Used 2 seasons.
Came off an 04 Passat. 195/65R15

OR

4 studded snow tires 185/65 R15 mounted on steel wheels.

Do you guys think they fit on my '03 MCS?

thank you

Stefano

Edited by italianjob - November/21/10 at 2:46pm
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 3:12pm
Both sets are a little on the tall side, and I believe a Passat might be a 5 bolt pattern, and you need on that is a 4 -100
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 3:37pm
UFF!!Angry

They are impossible to find!

Thank you John!

If anybody knows somebody who has it let me know.
Im not looking to spend too much money thou.

Thank you

Stefano

2013 GP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 3:51pm
The 185/65-15 is just a 1/4 inch or so then stock the rubber would fit, just need rims , I think old Honda rims might be the right size in 15s

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 4:39pm
ok, the guy who has the 185/65/15 says that they came off of a toyota corolla..

How does it sounds?

thank you

STefano

2013 GP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 6:59pm
They should be 4 -100's  soumds like they might fit just fine, it will throw your MPH off you will pick up 2 to 3 mph and you gas mileage my be better regardless what the display says.

Edited by johnf36 - November/21/10 at 7:01pm

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 7:12pm
wow cool! I hope this guy still has the wheels!!

thank you again John!!

Stefano

2013 GP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 7:17pm
No Problem, you did ask if they were 4 bolt they only other hang up might be the center.

I would try one on first if you can on a front wheel.

I know the rubber fits I run 215/45-17 which is bigger.

Edited by johnf36 - November/21/10 at 7:20pm

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 7:23pm
did you get a brand  on the tire?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/10 at 7:23pm
Roger!

Thanks

2013 GP

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 9:00am
Also watch brake clearance. The MCS is 16" or 17", the 15" may not clear the brakes.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 9:06am
There you go.... One more thing to worry about!!!Disapprove

Thank you GordonWink

Stefano

2013 GP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 9:43am
I run standard steel 15s and they clear with no problem. But try one one they front first because that is were you will have clearance problems.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 11:22am
well, no one from Craigslist answered my email.
I am forced on making another decision.
I am oriented towards buying some Autosock... i know that maybe some of you don't approve but I dont know what else to do.
Still, there is a problem:
guess what? They dont come in my size.....
205 40 17.. but i found that the 195 50 16 has the same overall volume + 5 mm.

Let me know what you guys think, please.

Thank you,

Stefano

2013 GP

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 11:40am
Originally posted by italianjob italianjob wrote:

I am oriented towards buying some Autosock... i know that maybe some of you don't approve but I dont know what else to do.

Thank you,

Stefano

Stefano:

The ads for Autosocks all show the car running on deep snow or ice, but not mixed pavement and slush and light snow(6").  They might get torn up with the stuff we get around here, just my opinion but no actual experience.  I really like the idea of carrying them for the odd emergency snow on a road trip but if the DOT does not certify them then the Storm Troopers will not allow you to pass without chains:-(((

Step up and get a complete set of wheels and tires for snow/ice.  I was driving around today with the Blizzaks WS60s and tried a panic stop in 1" snow in a cold(29 degree frozen patch) section of road.  Got a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of ABS action, stopped straight and sort of amazed me as to the grip.  195x55x16'sWooHoo.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by SMOG-1 SMOG-1 wrote:

Thank you,

Stefano

Stefano:

The ads for Autosocks all show the car running on deep snow or ice, but not mixed pavement and slush and light snow(6").  They might get torn up with the stuff we get around here, just my opinion but no actual experience.  I really like the idea of carrying them for the odd emergency snow on a road trip but if the DOT does not certify them then the Storm Troopers will not allow you to pass without chains:-(((

Step up and get a complete set of wheels and tires for snow/ice.  I was driving around today with the Blizzaks WS60s and tried a panic stop in 1" snow in a cold(29 degree frozen patch) section of road.  Got a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of ABS action, stopped straight and sort of amazed me as to the grip.  195x55x16'sWooHoo.

S.

Hi Stephen! Yeah, I know that Autosock aren't the best for little 1' snow cover, but the thing is: i have to go to Crater Lake OR for Thanksgiving and the snow its gonna be well more then 1inch( Crater Lake webcam wise) I saw the price for a full set of 205 45 17 Blizzaks and they run for about $860... too much money for my present $$$ situation. I dont know what to do....
I could use my mother in law '97 Camry but the trip its not going to be the same and plus I cant leave my mother in law with no car(she doesn't drive stick)

Cry

What do you think about my previous post?

Stefano

2013 GP

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 2:09pm
Stefano:

Check out this site.  http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html  It will tell you about tire size and how it might relate to what you need.  The 40 profile seem very small for a snow type tire and would ride pretty hard.  The difference between my 55's and my 45's is very noticeable on the same vehicle, the present Non-S with standard suspension  With Sport Suspension it would be a rougher ride.

The 195x55x16's were stock sizes on my Mini.  The205x45x17 is stock size on the new Mini that is coming next week.  I have put the 205x45x17's on my current Mini and they work beautifully since they are still a wee bit smaller in diameter than the 195x55x16's and give me a very slightly lower gear ratio(good for underpowered MCa).  I also have a set of 205x50x16's and they really lower the gear ratio.  I love them for fast acceleration but the engine is turning over faster to obtain the same speed.

Yep, Crater Lake is way up in deep snow.  I am sure the Autosocks would work up there but when the roads get really snowy up there the Storm Troopers close the highway.  I have tried twice to take those passes and could not get through because the road was physically closed with steel bar gates!  Now is the Mini could slip under them...Wink.

Good luck with the decision, $$$ is always an issue.  With a new Mini on the way I am making some rather expensive decisions to head off future upgrades.

You and Christina have a safe trip!

Stephen

Edited by SMOG-1 - November/22/10 at 2:09pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 2:38pm
Stephen:

I look to the website you linked me. Seam that the overall diameter is just the same ( 205/40-17 - 195/50-16----->+5mm

So, I guess I'm going for the X20 Autosock...

I'am just going to wait a little bit if anyone has something to say.

Thank you Stephen!

We cant wait to see the new Mini!!!

Stefano&Cristina

2013 GP

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 2:40pm

Stephen:

I look to the website you linked me. Seam that the overall diameter is just the same ( 205/40-17 - 195/50-16----->+5mm

Is that a stock size for your Mini?  I bet it rides a little rough but probably corners like crazy!

Cheers.

S.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 2:44pm
Is not the stock one and I have been able to count every single rock along the road for the past 6 months... ahahah

Stefano

2013 GP

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 2:57pm
And that would be not so comfy on trips.  Great in an autocross but when a cigarette butt is noticeable then it is an issue!  That s one reason I did NOT order the JCW Suspension Package when I was merrily ordering my new Mini, I like a smoother ride.

The difference between riding a BMW motorcycle and a hard tailed Harley.

S.

Edited by SMOG-1 - November/22/10 at 2:57pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 7:02pm
Sorry I posted these in the wrong place

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_factory_wheels

Sorry I couldn't link it, but go here it will help. I am stuck tonight dealing with 3 inches and bad drifting with the 20+ winds and I still have my summer shoes on, it will be fun to night going home. Did I mention it is 18 and dropping.

Edited by johnf36 - November/22/10 at 7:06pm

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 11:43pm
7 HRS TO GET FROM BOEING FIELD TO LYNNWOOD.....

INSANE....

NO WORDS...

Stefano

2013 GP

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/10 at 11:45pm
Holy crap. And that's barely even couple inches of snow. What would happen to this city if they got real snow... 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/10 at 12:43am
I made real good time on my Proxy 4s

The roads weren't bad when you could see the, I finally found a use for those dang center road bump. I call it driving by Braille.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/10 at 2:50am
J:

They should put the Boss Dots on the fog line! 

S.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/10 at 2:52am

7 HRS TO GET FROM BOEING FIELD TO LYNNWOOD.....

INSANE....

NO WORDS...

Stefano

The Blizzaks got me around real well yesterday but it was the OTHER traffic that was problematic.  People driving in the snow that don't have the tires or the experience all sliding around together.  Looks like a real bumper cars event.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/10 at 3:02am
S:
You need to play with the park brake Wink. I could have gotten out and kicked the guy in front of me because he rode the brake the whole time and I had a ass riding mine because he could not see but when things went white I went out. Minis have a cool feature (at least gen 1)with running lights on you can turn on and run with the fogs and in white outs works real well, so in the middle of night turn off the mains and run on fogs.
J

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/10 at 3:11am
Did you run off and leave that guy that was tailgating you?

I will try that with the 2nd Gen w/fogs.  My current MCa has no factory fogs, which I am mulling around in my head and will probably install some once I get the MCSa and start tinkering with it.

S.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/10 at 3:22am
I have to be honest a couple time I almost came to a top and thin it dawned on me to switch to just fogs and bingo I cut right under the white out, I am sure everyone around thought I was nuts. I know the road I drive every day very well and there where times I was totally blind. A even foot keeps the DSC in line but when you have to work the car go live. Drifts are what kill ya.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>