Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Drive / Events Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSome Personal Comments about Events -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Personal Comments about Events -
    Posted: April/19/12 at 4:04pm
While working on the 2012 Event Calendar Prototype I was struck by the absence of PSMINI originated events. Most of the events are external events which we participate in. The only PSMINI events are the long standing Stone Henge, Picnic, and Car Show. I added this comment to the post on the Calendar thread but I think we need to get some discussion started on some driving and get together events:
Just as a reminder - events are created by the members - like Bruce And Stacie and their wonderful Stonehenge events. We need some people to step up and put together some drives - one day or weekend over night events that get people out motoring on some back roads and enjoying the company of the great people in the club. In the past we have had successful winery visits, a tour of Wampum Dam, a visit to Grand Coulée Dam - a visit to the Ellensburg Wind Generating Facility - lots of local coffee get to-gethers followed up with a drive over some interesting roads. These events don't just happen - they are the result of somebody taking the initiative and doing the work involved in planning, organizing, and leading an event. We need some people to make things happen!
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/12 at 4:24pm
I will try to find my Thinking Cap, but it is still in the Lost file...

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/12 at 5:00pm
I agree--it would be nice to see more stuff on the calender. Now that I have free weekends I am eager to finally get together with everyone.

I was actually thinking of planning a short drive for this summer. I know of a VERY twisty and fun road and wanted to bring along all the MINIs. I will make sure I get that drive set up for when the weather gets good.
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/12 at 5:41pm
That is exactly what we need- events don't need to be all day events- just an opportunity to get out with the club and do some motoring!  Thanks Ashley!
Jack -

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/12 at 6:42pm
Just my $0.02 here.  Relatively new club members at the time, Stacie and I jumped in with both feet back in '09 and organized a weekend drive (over) stuffed with things to do for that day.  Our inspiration was a parody rock and roll documentary called This Is Spinal Tap and a long standing desire to go to the Stonehenge Memorial in Maryhill (if you watch the movie you will understand).  We had no idea if anybody would want to go with us on the first one, let alone so many people and that they would want to do it every year.  

At that time, Stacie had been working in the event planning business for a number of years so she had a basic familiarity with this sort of thing, but we got invaluable advice from Jack and Linda, who helped organize one of the most fun drives I have ever been on called The Haulin' Ash Wine Tour in May of 2008.  It was our first club event, but we knew it was well organized and we wanted to tap into that knowledge.

We are now offering to share tips and offer advice to anybody who wants to organize a drive, be it an afternoon on a local road or a weekend out of the area.  We've made the rookie mistakes, and can help you avoid them.  PM us if you need help planning something.  If you have lived here for any length of time you have discovered someplace cool to see, some fun road to drive, or a combination of the two.  The original This Is Stonehenge run was hung on the most tissue paper thin of ideas.  Who knows, maybe your idea will be the next big thing.

That said, somebody else needs to put together another Haulin' Ash Wine Tour, either this year or next.  If y'all don't, Stonehenge takes a break next year and we'll organize it.  Like Stonehenge?  Organize a Haulin' Ash Wine Tour!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/12 at 7:42pm
I've been contemplating a wine run like we did years ago.  If I tackle it it'll be later summer when the crowds are a bit lighter.

There's nothing like a line of MINIs going up the Yakima River Road...

Todd

2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 12:21am
In the interest of discussion Candus and I are always game to do events. But this year is really full for us, our big trip is AMVIV this year followed by a last year commitment to make it to Water follies this year.

Now with that said if any one wants to run with us to Vegas or if a bunch of you want to come over to the Hydroplane races just let me and Candus know and can see what I can do.

As for AMVIV we have a fairly new route that we will be taking on some different roads.

Water Follies / Hydro races My company sponsors the whole thing which entitles me to a few perks, I am waiting to see just what we will be offered this year. But there is a good chance I might be able to do something with that too.

Any thoughts?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 6:05am
Tell us about the Water Follies and the Hydro Races pleaseBig smile

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 11:23am
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

Tell us about the Water Follies and the Hydro Races pleaseBig smile

I second that.
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 11:58am
The Water Follies are what they call The Columbia Cup Race weekend in Tri-Cities. It runs this year from July 27 thru the 29th. My company is the main sponsor and you can find more here http://www.waterfollies.com/water-follies-experience/unlimited-hydroplanes/

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 1:40pm
Well said, Jack and Buce!

John, Larry and I used to go to the Columbia Cup all the time in our younger days and loved it! I enjoy it a lot more than the Seafair race. We would be up for going to that.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 1:42pm
Okay Leanne I will work on getting more info, Will you have your new Baby by then?

WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 8:22pm
I think the Water Follies is a great idea!  Jack and I grew up in the Tri-Cities and it's now a major event and much easier to participate in than some of the Seafair events.  It would be awesome to have something planned - it's usually a week or two before the hydros race here.

Maybe we could do the run up to Jump Off Joe wind turbines with the MC Minis again?  Yakima Canyon is always good going down, as is the Hidden Valley road out of Cle Elem and the Old Natches Highway into Yakima.

I know we are always willing to meet with anyone to talk about planning a rallye and we have talked about doing another wine run in the fall, but would be willing to work with anyone (Todd?) to plan that.  I have the route from our 2008 trip that we did with Janet and Ken Russell.  I also have the route we worked on with John and Eileen Wood for the Eastern WA 2-Day loop that came back over the North Cascades.  In addition, I have some of the route instructions used for the British Car Club Run to the Gorge and Run to Little Creek as well as the Kitsap Peninsula run we did with Mary and Chris.  If you have just part of a route, others can help fill it in!

Here's a thought, if you're interested.  We could hold a meeting at Seattle MINI (or one of the Libraries) and talk about planning an event.  We'd be there and if we could get Brenda and Steve, and Bruce and Stacie and anyone else that wants to share some of their knowledge and experience, maybe we could get some more events on the calendar.

Don't be afraid to volunteer - we will help you!  It's really a fun experience.

Edited by WOODSTOCK - April/20/12 at 8:24pm
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 8:39pm
Hummmmm looks like I need to do some figuring. Well as it sits we are staying at a hotel close by, I guess I need to put things together. Linda message me if you have some ideas.

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/12 at 9:07am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Okay Leanne I will work on getting more info, Will you have your new Baby by then?

Most definitely, if all goes well!     
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/12 at 5:58pm
Linda and Jack:

I would appreciate something like a check list for day trips, as well as one for overnight trips, that I could work on to put something together to go west and south around the Olympic Peninsula.

Stephen

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/12 at 8:47pm
Stephen,

I have contacted Brenda (Events Officer) about this great idea -
Jack -

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/12 at 9:45pm
I second a great idea, we use to have a first timers article that was really helpful. You remember where that is Jack?

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/12 at 8:09am
I'll try to find it - but I think a fresh start would probably be a good thing.  (I'm working with Brenda to see how our Events Officer wants to proceede.)
Jack -

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/12 at 8:25am
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

Stephen,

I have contacted Brenda (Events Officer) about this great idea -

Thanks Jack!

Stephen

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/12 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Sanderskog Sanderskog wrote:

I've been contemplating a wine run like we did years ago.  If I tackle it it'll be later summer when the crowds are a bit lighter.

There's nothing like a line of MINIs going up the Yakima River Road...

Todd

Plan it and let’s do it! WooHoo
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/12 at 9:22am
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

I'll try to find it - but I think a fresh start would probably be a good thing.  (I'm working with Brenda to see how our Events Officer wants to proceede.)
I will help out in any way I can. How should we get started on making this happen?
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
K9 LUVR View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9 LUVR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/12 at 5:56pm
I am really new to the group, "Rosie" my chili pepper with white strips coope joined about a month ago.  Ever since readying this post I have been thinking and tossing around a couple of ideas that may work.  So here goes...

One idea is for September when the group called  SOVREN (Society Of Vintage Racing ENthusiasts) has their fall finale out at Pacific Raceways.  My husband and I are part of the group, he is the chief of timing and scoring and would help me to cordinate how the group could be parked in the pit area and maybe do a pot-luck and watch the races.  If you have not been to something like this it is fun to watch the older race cars and yes, even some older Minis.  It would be fun to all go out together. 

Now round two.  My husband and I are also a part of Northwest Railway Museum.  During the summer and early fall the train runs on the weekends.  It starts in Snoqualmie and runs up to North Bend.  They are just adding a stop at the brand new train museum where you get a short tour about "train history".  The train and all the cars have been re-furbished and the depot was bulit in the late 1800's.  Anyway again it might be fun to drive up there by some of the backroads and then take the train trip and then either meet on the grounds where there are picnic tables for lunch or head back to the Issaquah XXX for lunch.

These are just my ideas and I am brand new to the group so please let me know what you think.  It may or may not be good for this group.  Like I said I am just throwing them out there.

Thanks for letting me be part of the group, and "Rosie" of course.

Teena

Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/12 at 8:10pm
Good suggestions Teena.  I have some friends that race in SOVERN although I haven't seen them for a while and my 1975 T-342 Lola is considered "too new" to be eligible to race in SOVERN so I end up crewing or did crew.  The train museum sounds really interesting too.  Give Brenda a call or PM (Hapa Haole) our events officer, to see if something can come about these suggestions.  And don't give up on Stonehenge!  You got a service dog, right?  Right!
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/12 at 9:14pm
Teena -

That is exactly what we are looking for - things we can do as a club - not just car things but a variety of events.  The Train trip sounds like "educational fun"  and something easy to do.  As one whose memories of events at SIR - sorry -Pacific Raceways - goes back to 1962 I would love to do the SOVERN event.  Brenda (Hapa Haole) our events officer will be out of town for the next couple of weeks - (WAY out of town and may not have much internet access).  I'm sure someone will be more than happy to join you in planning and making these events happen. 
First step would be to start new topics in this forum (EVENT SUGGESTIONS) - One for each of the events - That will give you some feedback on how much interest there woulb be.  Include links to web sites for SOVERN and the RR Museum and suggestions for dates, cost, and times.  AND, THANK YOU!
Jack -

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/12 at 8:25pm
I'd like to put together a run to Leavenworth either starting north of Bellevue and taking 2 or starting in like Eatonville and taking 12 to 97. The second one would be an entire days worth of driving for me. I'm working on my AMVIV route so doubt I'll get something together before then. If you are interested or have suggestions please PM me.

Originally posted by K9 LUVR K9 LUVR wrote:

One idea is for September when the group called  SOVREN (Society Of Vintage Racing ENthusiasts) has their fall finale out at Pacific Raceways.  My husband and I are part of the group, he is the chief of timing and scoring and would help me to cordinate how the group could be parked in the pit area and maybe do a pot-luck and watch the races. 

!!Love this idea! Please do it. I'm in.
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/12 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

I'd like to put together a run to Leavenworth either starting north of Bellevue and taking 2 or starting in like Eatonville and taking 12 to 97. 

That would be extremely fun. There is a Leavenworth drive that'll have a huge amount of European cars (maybe 600-700) in mid June. I may go to this. Everything from Aston Martins to Volvos show up on this run.

http://www.leavenworthdrive.com/event-info.asp
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/12 at 4:07am
Teena - I like both your ideas: SOVERN and your "round two" the railway museum. I'm more interested in the train ride and museum visit for some reason, but that's just me. Both of your suggestions may draw some interest but you just never know unless you put it out there.

FYI to the group - For some reason I'm not receiving email notifications for all the replies on this thread/discussion, so my apologies for my delayed response. Also, I'm heading out of the country and will have limited Internet access, so please be patient with my delayed replies. I will be returning to the USA on the evening of the 20th.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/12 at 4:13am
Originally posted by swpars swpars wrote:

Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

I'd like to put together a run to Leavenworth either starting north of Bellevue and taking 2 or starting in like Eatonville and taking 12 to 97. 

That would be extremely fun. There is a Leavenworth drive that'll have a huge amount of European cars (maybe 600-700) in mid June. I may go to this. Everything from Aston Martins to Volvos show up on this run.

http://www.leavenworthdrive.com/event-info.asp

Not that drive sounds like a hoot!! However, AMVIV begins in mid June so I won't be able to make it. Not everyone is going to Las Vegas though, so this could be a nice drive for those staying back in WA.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/12 at 6:05am
The train trip and museum has interest for us.

B:  Have a good trip to the Mediterranean!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>