Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some serious customization done today!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/11 at 8:33pm
I configured the reverse beep for my car today. All cars in Japan have this (for safety reasons) and I got used to it. Nice to have it back. 

Also, I configured so all doors unlock at the same time when pressing the unlock button on the remote. It was especially frustrating before because it wouldn't unlock the other doors unless you waited a few seconds between button presses. 

Also, i configured sunroof full automatic close. (Previously it would stop at the tilted open position)

I can't get it to work for closing all windows and sunroof from the key remote. 

Stephen, I believe that most of these features, including the reverse beep, should work on an R56 as well. 

(Note - the beep is only audible from inside the car.)

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/11 at 9:57pm
Kurt are you running this on Mac or Windows. It was original mentioned that it was kind of a pain to get installed and up and working?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/11 at 10:05pm
I am running it on Windows running as a virtual machine on my Mac. Getting the drivers and supporting software configured is sort of a pain, but once it is all working it's really easy to use. 
The NCSExpert software is more straightforward than SSS or DIS, basically requiring the cable and a driver, and some emulation layers. 

As I've mentioned before, I'd be happy to code some features for people in the club, as long as they understand the risks involved and don't try to assign liability if something went wrong. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/11 at 5:05am
Kurt:

Is the beep continuous until the car is put into a different gear?

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/11 at 8:42am
Yes. it sounds like the door-open chime, but slower, until the car is put into another gear. 
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/11 at 1:58pm
Sorry, I started the sideways discussion!
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/11 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Yes. it sounds like the door-open chime, but slower, until the car is put into another gear. 

Kurt:

When the warranty is up I need to do this, to both cars!  Thanks for the inputThumbs Up.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/11 at 8:55pm
Yes NCS is much easier to get going than SSS was, that's for sure, and it's WAY faster to operate / code.  I like it alot better.

I don't know why you're having such trouble getting the windows / sunroof to close with remote Kurt.  I'm certain it's possible, just keep poking around.

Did you try to get one touch close to work?  I did and definitely enabled driver and passenger window but only the driver's closes with one touch. Strange.

I'm also certian most if not all of these features are available on the R56's, infact there's alot more info to be found for the R56 vs R53's online.

Seems like R56 guys are lucky, there's many features that can be changed via the insturment cluster unlike our cars which nothing can be changed there.

I also discovered today when I was on I-5 and I hit 74mph my speedometer started flashing and it chimed a few times to alert me that I had passed 120kmh.  lol forgot i'd enabled that.

*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAR2EAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/11 at 7:54am
Just wondering while you guys are exploring the programming options if there is a way to reprogram the convertible roof operation. In stock form the R52  roof won't open or close until the car stops moving. The new R56 style convertibles can operate the roof under 20 mph. MINI says it can't be changed, but you guys got me wondering. Thanks, Coll
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/11 at 9:24am
I have the Ian Cull auto-up circuit (which works for down direction as well, I think) so I haven't messed with the window opening operation. 
Ooh, an overspeed indicator? That would be nice to have except for track day. 

Ear2Ear, there are a few options for sunroof, not sure if specifically the one you are asking. We can try to program your car if you like.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/11 at 10:33am
Interesting thing about the overspeed indicator, on my car with Nav, I have an option for that in the settings menu.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/11 at 4:58pm
I've seen several options for the convertible top but didn't pay any attention to them since none apply to me.  I'll try to keep it in mind next time i'm poking around.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/11 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

I have the Ian Cull auto-up circuit (which works for down direction as well, I think)

I did too but one thing that annoyed me about it is the pause before it actually rolls the window up.  On my car when i'd activate it the window would click up a tiny bit then stop then go all the way up.

With the bcm incharge it's seamless and smooth.

I can live without the auto disable of traciton control, and have found that I like it on more than off especially in the rain.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/11 at 11:08pm
Trip 2 enabled.

Vid...

Edited by firehawk618 - June/03/11 at 11:08pm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/11 at 11:15pm
I'm also going to give modifying the mileage in the chrono pack I have sitting in the garage one more try.  I have a few more ideas to try.

More than anything just to see if I can do it....
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/11 at 11:20pm
Dang, we need to post how we do this. I want trip 2 as well. (Could be useful for rallies or track days)
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/11 at 11:22pm
Trip 1 and 2 is great.  In my other vehicles I use trip 1 for resetting as needed and trip 2 for tracking service although in our cars it's kinda pointless to use it for that.

Yeah Kurt, my problem is that I go through the language translations, try this, try that, put this back, adjust this and that......

add to that the fact i'm horrible at documenting and explaining things.  :(

Have you had luck with the auto-up window function?  Find anything else worth mentioning?
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/11 at 11:24pm
Next thing i'm going to poke around on is re-programming the kombi to match the mileage of my car.  I still have the chrono conversion so i'm going to experiment with that.

If i'm successfull that will open up alot of opportunities for people here and on the other MINI forum who want to swip swap things around... :)

Also i'm trying to figure out how to adjust the redline on the tach and i'd also like to see if I can get the center speedo to work properly with a dual column cluster...that will be interesting.....
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/11 at 11:44pm
I haven't played with it in a couple days. Remote comfort close is still not working. It's probably the remote key controls. I'm wondering if I would need to get the newer style keys. (and pay the dealer $130 or whatever to program them). The other problem is I like look of the old style key. 

Next thing I'd like to fix is wheel impulses per kilometer (for the speedo/odometer) but that would probably be a hexadecimal hack. 
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/11 at 11:09am
You guys are amazing, I'm making a list of things I want to do/try with my car now.  Keep us posted on that chrono reprogram!
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/11 at 5:19pm
Will do, Kurt did you have any trouble with SSS after installing NCS?  Now my comp acts like it can't talk with the cable.

Actually i'm sure you didn't have any trouble since you're emulating windows anyways....
SpyVsSpy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpyVsSpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/11 at 3:51pm
I just got NCSExpert up and running with the newer V41 Datens, and was able to code my R56

Close Windows from FOB
Auto Doors Unlock
Double-Blink Emergency Flashers
Fogs and High Beams on together
Disable A/C Engagment from Auto Button
Enable Alarm Warning Light
Enable one-touch up for Driver & passenger windows

This is a great.
'07 MCS SS | JCW Strut bar | JCW Shift Knob | ALTA 22mm sway bar | ALTA boost tube | ALTA FMIC | ALTA Catback exhaust | BSH Oil Catch Can | Konig Feather 17" | RMW Tune 211 HP/256 TQ
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/11 at 4:56pm
I have one bug, probably related to my Ian Cull Auto Up circuit. auto up doesn't work for the driver door window. I need to toggle the auto setting in ncsexpert.

Chad, sorry I didn't see your post until now - I haven't had any problems yet with SSS  and NCSExpert... Did you try restarting the computer and not starting the NCS bits? 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/11 at 11:59pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/11 at 2:07am
I've been through these. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12