Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Supercharger service?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supercharger service?
    Posted: February/13/11 at 2:33pm
Has anyone pulled their supercharger/water pump to get it serviced?  I'm hearing some metal chatter coming from the engine bay whenever I press on the gas pedal.  I'm thinking it's my supercharger.  Anyone has any knowledge on how much labor is involved on pulling the unit to get it rebuilt?

Edited by Ammi - February/13/11 at 2:34pm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/11 at 6:51pm
What sort of noise is it? Hollow or robust? I sort of doubt it is coming from the water pump or supercharger. I'd expect more constant noise. 

Check your heat shields. They sometimes make noise. Also, the bracket where the power steering fluid and radiator fluid are mounted. Sometimes the downpipes hit the heat shield. 

If you've done anything to the car, make sure the intercooler isn't rubbing the bonnet (the engine leans forward when you accelerate). 

kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/11 at 7:09am

NAM has quite a bit of information on this issue (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6613009 )

I did have Zantech access the drive gears for the water pump and basically “change the oil in there to keep it running longer.   I forget now what I paid for that but it wasn't bad.

One good turn deserves another...and another...

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/11 at 9:19am
Ammi, what year and how many miles do you have?  Ken posted some good info, and it is possible as he said to service it or have it serviced.

I only know the basics about superchargers, but it seems to reason that like any other component, the sc would be under more stress when accelerating/stepping on the gas then when just sitting at idle.  But people tend to report a sound like a rattle can when their sc starts to go bad.

Ken, do you recall Zahntech saying that it was low or that the oil was dirty?  How many miles did you have on the car when you had yours serviced?

Edited by SuperCoop - February/14/11 at 9:20am
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Ammi View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/11 at 11:31am
03 w/ 34000 miles, not babied or abused.  The sound is constant metal ticking/rattling only when I'm on the gas pedal.  I thought it was my tranny at first but it doesn't matter if my clutch is engaged or disengaged.   As soon as I give it some gas, I hear it. 

If it is my supercharger going bad, I would replace the water pump (Bosch ~$100) and belt as well.

I'm thinking of giving these guys a call

http://superchargertech.com/

Drove the car about an hour in the last 4 months... kinda getting tired of having to fix everything to get it running right.

Edited by Ammi - February/14/11 at 11:40am
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/11 at 11:56am
That is not a heat shield. Not sure what but it could possibly be sc related... Can you record the sound?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/11 at 1:42pm
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Ammi View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/11 at 11:11pm
Definitely not a heat shield rattle... I wish it was.  I'm in the process of trying to find out where my coolant is leaking from so I have intercooler, ecu, and intake removed.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 12:07am
How does your oil look? Can you determine if it is an internal or external leak? 
Oil will look milky if you have an internal leak. 

Since you say that you have a coolant leak, it raises my suspicion that rattle could possibly be the water pump. Just a guess. I don't know where the water would be going. 

Also -- use the stethoscope method to pinpoint the source of the noise. Get an assistant to step on the gas while you probe around. Best way to find the source of a noise. (This is assuming you can make the noise even when car isn't moving)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 12:30am
Ammi: Most common coolant leak on the gen 1s is the thermostat gasket, it effect alot of cars

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 6:25am
Also, in 2002 and 2003, there were issues with the coolant expansion tank.  It leaked at the seam and had to be replaced on many cars.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Ammi View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 6:44am
At first I've noticed some coolant on the tubing connected to the throttle body.  After removing my airbox, I've noticed puddle of coolant.  I will post a picture later

If it is the thermostat gasket, could I just buy an OEM unit and just use the gasket?  I'm currently running M7 thermostat
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 7:53am
There you go. Thermostat gasket leak. 
They don't sell the gasket separately? 

Couldn't you make a gasket with RTV gasket maker? I've always done that on other cars I've owned. None of them were to the tolerance of a MINI however. 

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 9:09am
Well, this replacement part is plastic, so it's possible that it's best to replace the thermostat housing/cover at the same time of the gasket itself, in case there was some warpage to the material.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Mini/2003/R53/C2/8041/25920899
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 9:17am
Well there you go. I completely agree.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/11 at 12:42pm

Post Reply Post Reply