Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoXmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension
    Posted: September/23/09 at 10:38am
I'm looking at buying shocks/struts, springs, front and rear sway bars from a 05 JCW. I have a 03 MCS. I've been trying to do some research but now I'm confused. Did all JCW come with better suspension than the S? Or was there a special package that upgraded the suspenion? I don't want to buy these parts if it's all the same stock stuff that's already on the car. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It's not what you drive but how you drive it.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/09 at 11:49am
You could add packages of JCW stuff when ordering your car.  The JCW suspension is "better" than the S if that is what you are looking for.  Bit lower, different springs, shocks, bigger rear bar, but not big enough.  After adding every JCW performance option (no- I didn't do the carbon fiber add ons...), I must admit to some unhappiness with the value/performance equation.  I will admit that the JCW stuff does less for more money than a LOT of high quality aftermarket stuff.  If you are getting a really good buy on the JCW items, you can't go wrong.  But do your research and compare price to performance.  If you lose out on a sale because you take a few days to research competitive products, I might be convinced to say you might have actually come out ahead.  Don't get me wrong - I love the JCW stuff, but have already replaced the airbox innards, the rear bar, and added a crank pulley to offset the anemic JCW S/C pulley.  The JCW gearing apparently is different as I am turning significantly higher RPM at hiway speeds than some stock S versions.

Anyway - really do your research.  You'll be happier with the results.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/09 at 12:18pm
Good Call OnRamp
AutoXmini,
I'm going to guess from your name that your looking for "STOCK" parts that you can add without effecting your classification.. Is that it?
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
autoXmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoXmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/09 at 1:14pm
I just found shock/struts springs and sway bars from a 05 JCW. They want all that for 100 bucks. Seems like a good deal. I'd still eventually go to more hardcore parts but I'm on a budget. I'm not looking to stay in a stock class since I'm already out of spec with my strut tower brace.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/09 at 9:10pm
That's a pretty good deal - I'd go for it.  I will tell you that the stock JCW sway bar won't give you much more on the handling side than the stock S - I think it is only .5mm bigger, and almost not worth the effort to install.  But still - $100 is pretty reasonable, and it is bigger.

Need help?
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
autoXmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoXmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/09 at 12:58pm
I haven't gotten the parts yet but I would love some help except I don't have a place to do it and I have never really done any suspension work before.
autoXmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoXmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/09 at 11:13am
I just got those parts and I'm still confused. Could a 05 JCW come with the same suspension as my 03 MCS. The shocks/struts are delphi. The front springs have a grey strip on one coil. The back springs have a grey and yellow strip on one coil and a blue strip on another coil. I got the stuff for free so if it's the same stuff as stock I won't be upset. I got a Dinan throttle body too in the box of parts too. Thanks for the help.
motoring View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/09 at 8:36am
Yes, if he didn't buy the JCW suspension when he bought the motor upgrades.  It wasn't a factory package then.  You could order the parts you wanted: springs, shocks, brakes

At least that is the way I remember it.
Keith
02 IB/W MC with the really big checkered flag on top - GONE
07 MY/B MCS with some sort of stripes or something
 Post Reply Post Reply