Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sway bars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoXmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bars
    Posted: December/21/09 at 9:46am
I'm looking to upgrade my rear sway bar on my 2003 MCS. I'm going to be doing a lot of autocross and track days with it. I was looking at the H-Sport 25 mm bar. Is that going to be too big? Would something like the Alta 22 mm bar be better? I'm looking more for performance more than anything so I'm ok with the ride not being the best.
It's not what you drive but how you drive it.
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/09 at 12:50pm
Is the H-Sport the 25mm hollow?  Reports are that the 25mm hollow is the same performance upgrade as the 22mm solid, but at significantly lower weight.

Also, if you're going to be doing a lot of auto-x, an upgrade to your rear sway may take you out of stock class, if that's a concern.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/09 at 11:10pm
Yes, I believe Phydeaux is correct on the hollow vs. solid comparison. Also it's worth getting one that has some adjustability. I have the Alta and started out on the middle setting. I eventually moved up to the stiffest setting. Either way it had a very positive impact on the handling of the car. Probably the best overall improvement for the $ I've spent other than the coilovers. It really eliminates the tendancy for the car to push through the corners and makes it much more neutral. On the stiffest setting you can even induce a little oversteer in the corners.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/09 at 4:12am
I've had the H-Sport 25mm sway bar installed for a year or so now; it IS hollow, considerably lighter that the OEM bar, and it's also adjustable.  I have nothing to compare it to, but it's much better than the stock bar (which I still have, if anybody wants one).
autoXmini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autoXmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/09 at 3:49pm
Yeah, I'm not looking to stay in a stock class.
It's not what you drive but how you drive it.
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/09 at 11:59pm
I too am running an H-Sport 25mm sway bar, and have been for 4-1/2 years.  I like it!  It has 3 adjustment positions for the most flexability (I'm running mine in the middle after having tried the softest setting).  It also has zerk fittings on the bushing brackets so it can be greased if/when the bushings get noisy.  And, it is lite.   Oh yea, I track my Mini too...

Edited by kenru - December/25/09 at 12:00am
One good turn deserves another...and another...

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/09 at 3:33am
As long as you don't install the 19mm, you'll be good to go!

Good luck on this upcoming season!
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
 Post Reply Post Reply