Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Performance Driving/Track Days
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Track day preparations (What's needed)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Track day preparations (What's needed)
    Posted: April/20/12 at 3:32pm
I will be attending a driving class at the Ridge this Sunday and just wanted to see what the recommendations were for tracking our Minis. I have new tires and brake pads and will be checking all of my fluids before I get on the track.

What is the recommendation for oil level? I have heard at the full mark on the dipstick and 1/2 quart over full. I will be on all season tires so pulling a lot of G's won't be an issue and since it is my first time on a track I won't be pushing my car to the limit.
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 3:54pm
Yes, good idea to overfill the oil a bit.

Also
Drink lots of water.
If you have some driving gloves bring em' along.
Take out your floormat on the driver's side.
Check all of your fluids.
Flush out your brake fluid and replace with some Motul or Superblue high temp fluid.
Torque all of you lug nuts and check them every session. They can loosen up.
Keep your eyes up and look ahead...the car will follow your eyes.
Relax..don't tense up. Use the straights to relax your grip and loosen up.
Your tires will gain 6-8lbs of pressure after a few hot laps so check them when you come in and adjust accordingly.
Slow in = Fast out.
Have fun and enjoy!

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 4:24pm
Good tip about the driver side floor mat I never would have thought of that but have had one mess with the pedals in a different car before. 
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 4:55pm
Basically strip the car of anything that isn't securely fastened down. I remove all mats, the tool thing and everything else that is sitting in the car. I also used to tuck in the rear seat belts because the buckles used to bang around when I had the Cooper.

And make sure your brakes have lots of pad. You will burn through a lot. I burned through the last third of a set of pads in my Cooper and had to skip the last session. Won't do that again. I go through a lot more on a dry track than a wet one since I'm not braking as hard when its wet.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 7:50pm
All good points. 
I usually bring a spare set of pads. 

Also remember that slow is fast. If you are trying to go fast, you will not be going fast. They say this again and again and it is true. My fastest laps have been when I didn't think I was trying. 
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/12 at 9:11pm
Oh too true. I spend way too much time trying to "go fast" through corners. It my lesson I have to keep relearning.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/12 at 2:19pm
I removed the floor mats for the CCC day and to my surprise the pad under your right foot is slick as snot! If you've never driven the car without floor mats take them out now!

I'm thinking of duct taping that stupid pad or doing something else to it. My heel was all over the place. Not pleasant.

Edited by ipeverywhere - April/23/12 at 10:15am
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/12 at 8:41pm
I have the full rubber floor mats. They have never given me any problem with heel traction... They are also easy to clean. Might be a good upgrade... 
Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/12 at 7:55am
Sun screen
Shade
Chair(s)
Gatorade
Snacks
Paper towels and windshield cleaner (you will be killing a lot of bugs and flies)
Good shoes (flat and thin bottom)
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/12 at 10:43am
Painter's tape (also check if you have enough).
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/12 at 5:48pm
My track day was last Sunday and was a ton of fun! Since I was in the beginner group I had an instructor with me and learned quite a bit to help me be faster/smoother. All of the instructors that rode with me said I did very well for my first day and that my autox experience must have helped me.

The ridge motorsports park adopted the European cone standards as a trial and it seemed to work really well. There are different color cones for where you should enter a corner, where the apex is and where you should trail out to when coming out of the corner. 
 Post Reply Post Reply