Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Shopping Mall > MINIs For Sale
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What would my car sell for? (yes one of those!)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would my car sell for? (yes one of those!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would my car sell for? (yes one of those!)
    Posted: September/07/15 at 12:08pm
So I'm looking at selling my car (trade-in or private-sale) in the next couple odd months (depending on lock-in date for new order and tentative delivery date) - might be as late as December. The car as it stands now:

- DS 2007 MCSa with JCW stage one kit, 91.3K miles at the moment
- Host of parts replaced in the last 15 -18 odd months:
- New timing chain last June (2014)
        - New turbo (yes the turbo) a couple months ago
        - All sorts of new pumps (DMTL, fuel, water coolant)
        - New Battery (2 days old)
        - Miscellaneous small things like new window regulator, new light bulbs, oil filter housing, gasket,         carbon buildup cleaning at 90K miles etc. Have paperwork for all work done.

Clean title, pretty well cared for car. Have 16" and 17" wheels. I'm guessing a private sale might appreciate the new parts inside the car more (plus almost the parts came with a 3 year coverage from Broadstrokes, so there's some good warranty on a couple key components like the timing chain and the turbo). 
weescot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weescot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/15 at 4:57pm
A trade-in will not likely value the $$$ you have invested in the replacement parts and services, but a private sale might allow you to convince a prospective new owner that he/she is getting a reliable car.  Go to Edmunds website for an estimate of present value as a trade in or outright sale.  Good luck!  
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/15 at 7:12am
One thing to consider however is that with a trade, one does not pay sales tax on the value of the trade in.  That can affect the economics somewhat.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/15 at 10:58pm
Years ago, we sold our used MINI to a private buyer as we were taking delivery on a new MINI, but Northwest MINI was willing to let us handle the paperwork through them, so we got the sales tax credit. No extra charge to us or the buyer.  Might be worth inquiring whether they still do this, if you can find a direct buyer.
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
Pawsome View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/15 at 6:34am
Thanks Escape Pod. Makes sense in your case but the dealership I'm going with doesn't sell MINIs. Good to know that such an option exists though
 Post Reply Post Reply