Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel/Hub Size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel/Hub Size?
    Posted: August/15/11 at 7:23pm
Do the 1st Gen MINI's and the 2nd Gen MINI's have the same hub size?  I think the Gen 2's have a 56mm hub.

I am trying to find out if the R-81 (Imola) wheels will fit the R-56.  I think the bolt holes are large enough for the 14mm wheel bolts.
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/11 at 11:58pm
same hub diameter.different lug size. though if the lug holes are large enough they will fit both cars and since the taper for the lugs is the same it doesnt matter. so the answer is yes?
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 12:37am
S:
   All OEM wheels will fit both the 12 and 14 mm bolts and all have 56.1 center bores along with 4-100 bolt pattern. There was some misconception with the bolt change and fitment . It is the front brakes that determine what rims can be used on gen 2 cars because of the bigger brakes on the cooper s will not fit 15's. The gen 2 cooper and cooper one will fit all rims.

J.

FYI: if you put the S brakes on the cooper when you had the JCW's installed on the S they won't fit.

Edited by johnf36 - August/16/11 at 12:52am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 5:50am
Thanks guys.  I am thinking about using the '09 Cooper for the road trip car and keeping the '11 "S" for the hotrod and by going to 185x65x15 tires on the Cooper it will make it ride more smoothly.

I thought about putting the '11 "S" brakes on the '09 Cooper but since it is not driven like it is being chased then why mess with it?
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 10:33am
Sounds good it should work that is a rolling dia of 24.5 , now your only problem is finding the lightest OEM wheels every by Mini.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 10:53am
I think they are the R-81 -IMOLA
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

I think they are the R-81 -IMOLA

Correct

Style R81 (7-hole) 5.5Jx15 - 1512458 & 1512459 = 5.45Kg (12.0152 lbs) Offset = 45mm
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/11 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

S:
   All OEM wheels will fit both the 12 and 14 mm bolts and all have 56.1 center bores along with 4-100 bolt pattern. There was some misconception with the bolt change and fitment . It is the front brakes that determine what rims can be used on gen 2 cars because of the bigger brakes on the cooper s will not fit 15's. The gen 2 cooper and cooper one will fit all rims.

J.

Good to know.
I know my Pannasports wont fit an R56 (I tried when I was seeing if they would clear JCW brakes) because the bolt holes are too small and often wondered if factory wheels had the same fittment problem.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 12:00am
This is the best chart I have for OEM rims.

Generation - Models   Disk Size    Wheels
1st -all                                  276                    15" all
                                                                       16" all
                                                                       17" all
                                                                       18" all
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd- Cooper/one                  280                    15" all
                                                                       16" all
                                                                       17" all
                                                                       18" all
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1st- Factory GP                     294                    16" R87
1st- JCW Brake Kit                                          16" R94   
2nd-Cooper S                                                 16" R102 
                                                                       16" R103
                                                                       16" R115
                                                                       16" R119     
                                                                       16" R120
                                                                       17" all
                                                                       18" all
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd-Factory Works               316                    17" R97 
2nd-JCW Brake Kit                                          17" R104
                                                                       17" R108
                                                                       17" R112
                                                                       17" R114
                                                                       18" R113

PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 9:24pm
John Im imagining that chart is more in reference to the wheels clearing the brakes.
Im actualy surprised that all the early wheels were drilled with large enough lug holes to clear what was a much later decision to increase the lug bolt size. I would have assumed their tolerances where tighter than that. Im not sure if that is a credit to BMW or a sign of sloppyness.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/11 at 10:51pm
Yes your right Bobby.

I think what you will find is BMW used the smallest bolt they could for the hp, wheel size and brake size. I also think BMW had no choice in the hole size on the 4x100 bolt pattern I am sure there is a international spec on that hole. The increase came when Minis brakes and hp was increased which I am sure once again their is a spec for that too. But keep in mind rims are held on by clamping force and you don't want a tight fit on that hole because it is the 60deg taper that centers, locks and clamps the wheel down. All of that works with the centering ring to get your your wheel on straight. If the bores on the rim are to tight you will most likely end up in as bind and stud failure.
John

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/11 at 4:08am
I have seen that chart before on another Forum and it is good brake fitment info.  
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/11 at 7:46pm
Hey John, I just read your post above and it reminded me of a funny question my roomate posed recently.
Why does the countryman have 5 lugs per wheel?
he then pointed out that it has no more horsepower than other minis and that in the AWD version the power is distributed to more wheels so its less torque per wheel.

makes ya wonder......
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/11 at 8:26pm
My guess would be that it is because on the axle rating on the countryman and not so much HP. Also I wonder how many parts they use off the x-3 , the 5 bolt pattern is a normal BMW pattern. Some have suggested that the 4 bolt pattern was use so the Bimmer wheels couldn't be used, not sure about that one.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/11 at 9:29pm
It's probably a regulatory requirement of some sort... If the wheels are X diameter or car weighs more than X amount, you need 5 lugs... 

Post Reply Post Reply