FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWheel Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Leak
    Posted: September/11/07 at 5:43am
I have been noticing that one of my tires has been slowly losing air for some time now.  I took it in to Discount Tire, and it turns out that there is a leak in the wheel itself, right between the bead ring and the piece below that (whatever it's called ).  So, this puts me in the un-enviable position of needing to either get it repaired or replaced.  Has anyone else seen this kind of problem, and if so, what was the solution?  Is getting it repaired a viable option, or should i just have it replaced?

I would like to eventually have two sets of wheels, one for my winter tires and one for my summer, and since my stock Grey snowflake wheels (Style R90 7Jx17) are kind of banged up already, i'm thinking that now might just be a good time to get that set up.

This Site talks a bit about this topic, and even has a picture of the wheels i have now.

Should i go the route of new wheels, what I'm looking for is something perhaps a little lighter than the stock wheels, but of the same size and offset.  They should work well with the stock Pirelli tires, though i may change those out at some point in the future.  I'd also like something in black or dark grey as i think it'll look better on Draco. 

Are there any brands to look at or to stay away from?  Are there any good comparison sites (Tirerack.com seems a bit light on specific info on the wheels they carry)?

Thanks,
~Mozleron
All black 2003 Mini Cooper S
Pictures of Draco and mods
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/07 at 1:28pm
Hi, David:

I don't really know about the R90s, but have some experience with other 2 and three piece wheels.  There may or may not be a gasket involved.  Sometimes an overzealous wheel builder will overtorque the bolts and squeaze the gasket out of place, or - in the case of a flat seal, poke holes through the wrong spot.

I recommend seeing if you can find the torque specs for the rim bolts, and loosen all bolts, then retorque.  If that doesn't work, take the wheel apart and examine  the sealing system to see if you can spot the flaw.  Who knows, you may even be able to find new outer rings and have a new set of wheels!  Or, paint the centers (or if two piece, paint the inner part.  Lotsa possibilities.

PM me if you need help.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
 Post Reply Post Reply