Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to get bonnet stripes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to get bonnet stripes?
    Posted: March/07/13 at 8:06pm
OK I am going to need new bonnet stripes What is out there for vendors?  Who has the best?
John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/13 at 8:21pm
Amazon or Ebay

... or do what i did: buy the vinyl and DIY. I bought the sheet from an hobby shop actually.
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/13 at 9:10pm
Get a good idea of what is available at: http://www.cooperflags.com/ 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/13 at 9:10pm
I bought some off Amazon from Mighty Stripes. 3M good quality. Bonnet, boot, side stripes. Can't beat the price.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/13 at 9:25pm
Or ask Tom for a quote to make them part of the repaint!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/13 at 9:51pm
Best idea yet Pat - any idea what the price range ight be?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/13 at 7:35am
when I had BadS in the shop at Haury's after my incident I got a quote to have the stripes painted...ouch, was that expensive...vinyl was the only reasonable option.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/13 at 8:16am
To add a note on what martin said: at some point you are gonna get tired of having the same pair of stripes and believe me you don't wanna have painted stripes when time comes :)

2013 GP

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/13 at 6:28pm
Yes - my stripes were EXPENSIVE (don't ask - embarrassed to say) but I don't think I will ever change them.  The Stripes go from below the bumper and fade out as they cross the hood.  Then they start at the top of the windshield and fade back by the antenna.  Lining them all across the car took a LOT of time.  Once taped off, they disassembled the bumper and grills and then painted.  12 hours of taping, disassembly, painting, reassemble and then pray that I liked it (I did).

Not sure if John wants that kind of stripe though - if he doesn't get too fancy, it shouldn't be TOO bad.  If he has the clear coat applied after the stripes, the bra material will fit better.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/13 at 4:17pm
I did these today with plastidip:

2013 GP

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/13 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by italianjob italianjob wrote:

I did these today with plastidip:

Looks great! 
Also - Stefano and I did the Joey-mod to his headlights a few days earlier. Those are plastidipped as well. 

Edited by CORNERS - April/07/13 at 4:46pm
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/13 at 5:05pm

Stefano,

I really like the stripes!  Especially like the "MINI" - I haven't seen that done before. All the black accents look terrific!  You are the plastidip Guru! Thumbs Up
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/13 at 5:29pm
I just bought some plastidip today for my mirror caps (red), and going to re-do  my stripes in black/red as well using plastidip, I'm sold so far!!

Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/13 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

I just bought some plastidip today for my mirror caps (red), and going to re-do  my stripes in black/red as well using plastidip, I'm sold so far!!

let me know if you need help. Ill be in town till the 14th

2013 GP

FIZGIG View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIZGIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/13 at 7:11pm
Those look great and what a perfect color combo
Sometimes I wish I were catholic. I don't know why?
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/13 at 1:16pm
I'm actually going to buy an air paint gun and re-do everything. The rattle can method was really splotchy, and I want a finer finish. Luckily it's relatively inexpensive to do!

Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/13 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

I'm actually going to buy an air paint gun and re-do everything. The rattle can method was really splotchy, and I want a finer finish. Luckily it's relatively inexpensive to do!

Ahah you should have called me! Ill be in Seattle on the 28th if you need some help.

2013 GP

Post Reply Post Reply