Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Wheels???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Wheels???
    Posted: February/25/10 at 5:47am

Im getting new wheels and I need some opinions on what wheels to get there are tons of them out there so ive narrowed it down a little.......

Just leave the numbers you like or think would look good.
Midnight Black Cooper "LILCHAP"
pretty sure only midnight black cooper with blue mirrors......
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 7:10am
I'm liking the O.Z. wheels #7...can't go wrong with a 5-spoke and O.Z. are good Italian wheels! By the way, I see you are from Lake Stevens! I think I've seen you around. We live there too! :)
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 7:20am
In my opinion the less little nooks and crannies to clean the better -- my next set of wheels are going to have the minimum number of spokes!
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 7:35am
I totally agree about the fewer spokes the better from a cleaning standpoint!
Having said that, my favorites are #6 and #7.

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 7:43am
yeah Lake Stevens I'm around usually if I'm around lake stevens I may be a little fast driver its usually after work and trying to get home well if you do say hi I have a very small LILCHAP vinyl on my drivers side....I feel bad I cut off a PW mini on the tressel this morning.

So I just realized I cant get like half of those because they dont have the TPS  sensor...........
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 8:08am
Having ASA AR-1's as my summer set, the less spokes the better for cleaning.

I'd choose 4, 6, or 7.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 8:48am
You might want to narrow it down by weight and
offset
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 8:58am
Ill admit Ive never got new wheels before and don't know what the offset is. I think I picked one that I didn't even list on here I hadn't found yet but i have an 09 cooper do I need the TPS sensors or not?

I plan on getting these from tirerack and just trying to figure out everything I need to buy....

If anyone is a tire/wheel guru and can help me please do either send me a PM or not i just need good advice and would rather turn to here then ask an actual shop or anything.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 9:16am
Tire rack has a section that does a good job explaining terms used with wheel , we also have a couple of links that show all the stock wheels and there offsets. I can't link those right now but I am sure one of the others can help. Offset moves your whole rim in and out in relationship to where it mounts on the axle. The stock S lite 17 inch rim is 7 inches wide and has a 48 mm offset to make the 205 x 45 17s fit as it came from the factory. General rule the bigger the number the farther the tire moves into the fender , the smaller the number the more the wheel will stick out. If you read at tire rack and use their program to find wheel for your car you should be ok. Yes you should need wheels that will take the sensors and I beleive the newer wheel have bigger wheel studs then the gen 1 minis.

John

spell correction

Edited by johnf36 - February/27/10 at 7:47am

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/10 at 11:19pm
Tire Rack is great. Contact Alex at tire rack. He is a MINI fitment expert and can make sure you get exactly what you want and that it fits the MINI properly. alex@tirerack.com
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 12:06am
I bought my tires and wheels from Tire Rack and they arrived mounted and ready to go in a day or so.  Amazing.  Great service.  Great folks.  Alex was terrific.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/10 at 1:09am
Taking a another look at my choices - 6 & 7, I realized that they have totally different looks when in motion. The black spokes with the chrome rim look like the chrome rim is floating when in motion. The chrome spokes give a blur of chrome flash.  Both of these types of wheels look very cool in motion.

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 12:57am
So Ive tried to email tirerack with no response yet but I do have a question if you guys/gals know here all these wheels im looking at say thay are the 4x100 bolt pattern but clearly if you look at the pic it has 5 holes so NOT a 4x100 bolt pattern......
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 2:20am
I will look if I can figure them all out

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 2:22am
What size do you want 15,16 17or 18?

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 2:27am
I'd like 17 if anything
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 2:42am
Well if you want to buy from tire rack, they don't have any Konigs nor do they have TSWs, so that cuts your list down to the last 2 the Enkei and OZ.

The OZ Canova comes in a 16 with and 4x100
The Enki Performace WDM coms in 16,17,18 with 4x100

The top one I have seen but can't remember the brand.

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 2:55am
oh ok well im not set on tirerack i just want them to come ready to go with tires and want the tpms sensors already in so i dont have to do that
LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 3:06am
IDK maybe I'm just confused even the OZ website says that these wheels can do 4x100 but just the pics all show the 5 holes maybe they are just not accurate pics
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 3:14am
That can be normal they will show just one picture instead of making a picture for each hole size and rim config.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 3:23am
Since you have so many Konigs up there you might go over to discount tire they carry Konig.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/searchWheelsByVehicleAndSize.do?v=014508|2009&r=WASINT|c|Seattle&wd=17

Okay something interesting comes up  they are only showing a 16 as the largest  selection for Just -a-Cooper. They don't show the 17s till you go to the S. Now Tire rack shows all sizes. I don't know if there is a fitment issue on the Gen 2 Just -a-Coopers I haven't delt much with them.

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 3:35am
Ive seen 17+on R56 just a coopers that are even lowered...some of these wheels i have no idea how they would fit the 4 holes without changing the design
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 3:46am
Most of the wheels you listed had 4x100s

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 4:09am
Hmmmm I see that

I'm just picky in making sure since the pic is not that and I dont want to blow $1200+ on something that doesnt work
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 4:40am
totally understand, I believe club members have had god luck with discount tire, even thug Tire rack is normal the first choice.

GoKart View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoKart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 5:36am
I've worked in and around the automotive industry, both wholesale and retail, for over 17 years.  A veteran of four manufacturers' accessory initiatives, I am significantly more experienced with the pluses and minuses of OEM accessories than the great majority of people in the industry.  Yes, I still tweak the heck out of my MINI Wink with educated changes.

The one thing that is rarely considered when picking a non-OEM wheel is the actual weight of the wheel itself.  If you are going non-OEM, please make sure that the wheel/tire combination you pick weighs the same or LESS than the wheel/tire you're taking off.  You otherwise chance running into a huge safety and wear issue because you're adding unsprung weight which reduces the life of certain components as well as the dynamics of the vehicle.

99% of those pickups and cars running around with wheels that are 2-6" larger than OEM are nasty accidents just waiting to happen--simply because the vehicle isn't designed to have that much un-sprung weight or that low of a sidewall.   More than a couple people have died because their car or the one that went out of control and hit them had inappropriate wheels and tires mounted.  Since you're going with an OEM size wheel, low sidewall isn't an issue, but weight still is.

The other thing to consider is that everything you do that is outside manufacturer's specs has possible warranty repercussions.  If you have anything go wrong that could possibly have been a result of the change, your warranty coverage for that problem is in jeopardy.  Non-OEM wheels put your suspension, brake, engine, and/or transmission warranty into play.

That said, my suggestion is that you get what looks best to YOU and still keeps your car safe.

Enjoy!
WooHoo
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 6:44am
Since it has been thrown out there let's look at weight. First all the rims you are looking at are close to that of the OEM rims.
Light weight rims are not always a good choice just because they reduce unsprung weight. Rims can be put in roughly 3 groups, track, street and designer. Track rims are a very lite rims made to deal with the unsprung Issue John is talking about. The promblem with light weight track rims is they are made for smooth well maintain track surfaces. When running track rims on the highway you take the chance of cracking, bending and breaking the rims from everday road conditions.

The street style rims your looking at are made heavier top help handle the every day road hazards.

John

Edited by johnf36 - February/28/10 at 5:05am

LILCHAP View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILCHAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 7:16am
yeah-

To a point for me its gonna need to be pretty sturdy I'm going to copy this guy on NAM*. NOT that i plan to with these wheels on but I occasionally like to do the dirt trail drive and such which I don't think light rims could take with holes and stuff but also seem to always hit pot holes.....

With my last car 95 mustang slid on some ice last year and popped it sideways over a curb that left me teetering on the sidewalk, yes it was scary.

*(http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/coupe-talk-2007/163723-new-rims-on.html)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/10 at 8:02am
Just to clearify something. I was not looking to rag or put down John's nicely written post and I am sorry if I offended said poster.

I just was pointing out that there can be driving issues when going to a lighter then stock rim.

Thank You
John

Edited by johnf36 - February/27/10 at 7:56pm

heine12oz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heine12oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/10 at 12:57am
I vote 3 or 5.  I think they would look really nice on your car
pepper white. black roof. 20% tint. cobra stripes. rally lights. aero grille. 18" TSW Trackstar 5. Alta CAI. 15%
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>