Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yokohama Vs Hankook, need new tires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 9:22am
I have the SPCs too. They rock!
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 10:54am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Yes on the OOC, I would have to look but you can get them for less then 50

John, $50 for an OCC? do you think you could search for the brand?
Dinan Exh,Cai,str, RMW cam,440,Jan tune,frnt+rear camber,1.5" lwr, 22m swy. 207.7WHP

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 11:01am
Yes I will have to send you it when I get home tonight when I get home. The ones we are talking about look just like the M7 and Madness cans.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 11:18am
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 11:33am
Yeah i remember looking at yours over at the tune and you had fancy looking tubes. Theres also an alta one on ebay right now, might try to snag that if its less then 50.

that one from the link is identical to the m7 one. It seems so pointless that a compant just uses a logo on a generic OCC and sells it for $100 more. I hate business.... I guess thats why im majoring in it?
Dinan Exh,Cai,str, RMW cam,440,Jan tune,frnt+rear camber,1.5" lwr, 22m swy. 207.7WHP

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 11:50am
You might want to reconsider the Alta can. Apparently the silicone eventually degrades from the oil. http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/144295-alta-catch-can.html

No kidding. It seems like certain MINI specific vendors are the worst offenders.
Larry

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 11:58am
Jacob:

Something to think about on the 245's is that you might be going too wide for the 7" rims.  You might end up experiencing an effect called "rollover".  Under hard cornering, most tires will take a "set", and your cornering seems to be very steady, secure.  The rollover on wider tires causes a second "set, where the wheel moves within the normal positioning of the tread pattern.  What is happening is the rim is too narrow, causing the sidewall to have an unnatural bow (the rim sucking in the sidewall) when the tire is mounted.  Under cornering forces, this unnatural bow allows for additional roll, actually picking up the tread from the surface on the inside.

I thought I could get away with this with 235s on 17x7 rims, but no.  The effect on hard cornering is kind of a wobble as the tread grips, loses some grip, then grips again.

I'm thinking 225s might actually work better in terms of hard cornering.   You won't get as much rubbing either.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 12:04pm
It would seem so simple to purchase a ton of cheap OCC cans and print your logo but only sell them for 60 or 70$... I think the market for cheaper OCC would be huge. Instead of reaching to a limited number of Mini owners, a person could almost sell to every owner with the low price. I just don't get why Alta or any other company hasnt taken the initiative to really sell their products for a fair price. Every company has the same pricing and it really bothers me.

Edited by jbrown23 - August/01/09 at 12:13pm

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 12:07pm
Pat, I dont exactly know what you are talking about w/ 245? im running 205/45/17... looking to go to 215/45/17. Am i not catching something here?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Jacob:

Something to think about on the 245's is that you might be going too wide for the 7" rims.  You might end up experiencing an effect called "rollover".  Under hard cornering, most tires will take a "set", and your cornering seems to be very steady, secure.  The rollover on wider tires causes a second "set, where the wheel moves within the normal positioning of the tread pattern.  What is happening is the rim is too narrow, causing the sidewall to have an unnatural bow (the rim sucking in the sidewall) when the tire is mounted.  Under cornering forces, this unnatural bow allows for additional roll, actually picking up the tread from the surface on the inside.

I thought I could get away with this with 235s on 17x7 rims, but no.  The effect on hard cornering is kind of a wobble as the tread grips, loses some grip, then grips again.

I'm thinking 225s might actually work better in terms of hard cornering.   You won't get as much rubbing either.

Very good points Pat.
Where did you see 245's Pat , I thought he was going from 205's to 215s

Edited by johnf36 - August/01/09 at 1:06pm

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 12:54pm
[QUOTE=jbrown23] It would seem so simple to purchase a ton of cheap OCC cans and print your logo but only sell them for 60 or 70$... I think the market for cheaper OCC would be huge. Instead of reaching to a limited number of Mini owners, a person could almost sell to every owner with the low price. I just don't get why Alta or any other company hasnt taken the initiative to really sell their products for a fair price. Every company has the same pricing and it really bothers me.[/QUOTE

Actually Jacob I have a link to a Chinese company that I could get my cost down to $7.00 a can.
So what is the catch?
I would have to buy 1000 and I am nutty enough with out tring to tell my with I want to buy $7000 dollars in OCCs

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 12:58pm
John, I would honestly invest in something like that. The mini marketplace is really thin. I think that it would be manageable to operate a small little online MINI store. I'm sure we would have tons of support from the group.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 1:10pm
Yes I have considered that, I also have a filter unit that I have been working on that can be retro fitted in to the can along with gaskets. As to doing that here I don't think so, a subject for another day.

John

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 1:13pm
Well I would go half and half w/ you on the OCC deal Open up a little shop? lol

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/09 at 11:53pm
My mistake - sorry.  I ran 245/45s (on a different type of car) for so long I guess I just read things wrong.

Pat

Edited by onramp - August/01/09 at 11:54pm
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 3:05am
No worries mate

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 3:18am
How the heck did you get them to fit Pat?

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 4:09am
I think he meant i different car... not a MINI

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 4:10am
Possible but I think he could run bigger in the 911

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 4:40am
Dont they run staggered in the Porsche? (i dont know much on those cars though)

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 4:58am
I believe so.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 4:59am

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 5:07am
I havn't considered them only cause of the tread... I just always seemed turned off by that tread design. It never really made any sense to me. John, maybe you can shed some light about them?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 5:10am
I think there kind of cool ,but looks like something I might put on my riding lawn mower.

Actually the pattern has more to do with getting the most surface contact and still being able to channel water in wet conditions.

John

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 5:23am
hahah yeah I just assume not drive in the rain. I'd like to just get some really good handling tires.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 5:25am
I think what your looking at or the Dunlops that Larry suggested are a good choice for a summer tire. Just keep in mind I think if you go to 215 you might check to see which tire comes in that size.

John

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 5:31am
yeah the starspec does. I really like the deal on the starspec for $121 plus the $60 rebate. one of the best deals around.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 5:56am
Yep, I am running Toyo Proxes 4's but it is more of a all season. I am off to work good luck deciding.

John

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 6:15am
Star Spec, great deal, great tire. You won't be disappointed. Cool
Larry

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 6:39am
Iam with Larry for a good summer tire at a good price star spec.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>