Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yokohama Vs Hankook, need new tires.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 7:29am
I just wish I could convince discount tire to accommodate their price. I went in and talked to them but they kinda avoided it and offered me a different tire....
Dinan Exh,Cai,str, RMW cam,440,Jan tune,frnt+rear camber,1.5" lwr, 22m swy. 207.7WHP

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 7:34am
I've heard that happening to a friend as well. Try a Goodyear dealer since Goodyear controls the Dunlop brand in the US. If not, Tire Rack is your only option and you can have them sent to an authorized installer in your area.
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/09 at 7:39am
yeah I might just have them sent back to Gig Harbor sense i'll be back there in a week so I can make the carshow at Lemay and the run.
Dinan Exh,Cai,str, RMW cam,440,Jan tune,frnt+rear camber,1.5" lwr, 22m swy. 207.7WHP

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/09 at 2:33pm
so now the star specs are $116 and theres still the $60 rebate... :)

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/09 at 4:07pm
Jump on it before the rebate expires! 
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/09 at 3:58pm
Well, I bought a set of regular cooper 16" wheels and tires on CL for $100 today. I also found on tirerack the hankook ventus R-S2 for 245$ with shipping for all 4.... I think I just found a set of track wheels and tires? I might end up reselling the wheels I bought for $400 and then buy some light 16" wheels. and use the hankook tires.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/09 at 9:06am
Hankooks! Which size are you thinking of getting? I noticed Tire Rack is closing out certain sizes and because of that it's a good buy. Otherwise the Star Specs would be better to get for the track if the prices are comparable.

16" tires are cheaper to replace and since you're just getting into tracking, the Hankooks should suit you fine. You can then move up to better rubber as you gain experience and get faster. One thing to think about is BBK clearance but 16s are easier to fit than 15s. Wheel offset becomes more of an issue.
Larry

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/09 at 9:12am
Well, I just got kinda screwed by the guy i was getting the wheels from. Guess he already sold them when i was going to pick them up.... cooool. Now i have to start all over again.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/09 at 9:16am
Ahh that sux man. Angry
Larry

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/09 at 4:56am
Just as a follow up, I did order the 215/45/17 Hancraps rs2 lol $364 shipped to my door. Not bad for tires. I know i will be regretting this, but i need new tires and i can use them at the track until i start driving better.

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/09 at 5:37am
That's a good buy for those tires. They'll be fine for the track and as you improve, you can get stickier tires.

Did you see my message on FB regarding your brake question?
Larry

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/09 at 7:25am
Yes i did and I talked to Greg and he still has them with a few extra sets of pads. I am going to buy them from him if he will email me back. He's pretty slow at that. I also might purchase some better rotors then the stock ones.

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/09 at 4:04am

Arrived at my apartment today. I hate to admit it but i really like the look of these. They feel really sticky. I even hate to say this, but it was probably the best deal i could get with tires... not bad for $350!

And Yes. It is a Camo Lazy Boy :)

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/09 at 4:34am
Cool. Autocrossers like those so they're actually decent tires. I think Greg's main complaint was that the passenger side tires were chunking after a few track events. He's pretty fast and Pacific Raceways is really hard on tires due to the crappy uneven pavement. I've experienced similar wear on my Direzzas but that can happen if you run full tread street tires on the track. My Bridgestones are wearing better this year because I've rotated them and had them flipped on the wheels. I wasn't as religious with the Direzzas. Those "kooks" will work fine and are way better than what you're running right now.
Larry

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/09 at 4:03am
haha well just got some wheels for FREEEE! there Tenzo RS5 silver w/ polished lip. I traded some guy season tickets to our home baseball games for these wheels. But we get tickets for free. Worked out to be a good deal on my part!

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/09 at 4:17am
Do you have tires for them

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

jbrown23 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/09 at 4:55am
yeah I am going to put the hankook rs2s on my nice centerline wheels and then the old hankook tires on these wheels. Looks like powdercoating will run me $200. I'm thinking about painting them myself. I'll sand and fill in the rash with putty and then prime and paint the wheels.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123