Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Get Togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWalkie Talkie Choice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oranos991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walkie Talkie Choice!
    Posted: October/17/12 at 1:40pm
Soooo.. I apparently lost every Walkie Talkie in my house... I don't know exactly how but it happened. This saturday will be my first rally with PSmini and I am gonna buy a new one before than. Figured the best thing to do would be ask the professionals Big smile, what has worked best for you guys?

Brand/model?

Thanks and can't wait to meet everyone!
WooHoo
2006 pepper white JCW, 17% Pulley, Light crank pulley, Scream'in demon coil pack, Brisk LGS plugs, fire braid wires, JCW airbox flap mod..... Mini with the [BIG MAN] STICKER
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/12 at 4:01pm
We have had excelent results with our Cobra FRS Radios - Just tkeep in mind the federal regulations for FRS / GMRS radios - GMRS requires a license - FRS does not.  GMRS radios can operate at 5W - FRS are limited to .5W - and no external antenas allowed.  Club events use chanel 7-21 which can be either FRS or GMRS - but unless you have a FCC license you have to us the low power setting.  The advertising for the range of a radio is based on the GMRS 5W power - so you can ignore that.  Don't pay for extra range that you can't use. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Oranos991 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oranos991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/12 at 4:25pm
Smile Thanks for the quick reply, lots of good information. Does the range on the .5w do for a line of 16+ minis? or is there a lot of disconnect, I have heard that .5w only has a mile range at ideal conditions?

I will have to pick up one from best buy or something of the nature before saturday!

Thanks
2006 pepper white JCW, 17% Pulley, Light crank pulley, Scream'in demon coil pack, Brisk LGS plugs, fire braid wires, JCW airbox flap mod..... Mini with the [BIG MAN] STICKER
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/12 at 7:06pm
Check WallMart if you are interested in looking at a Cobra -

The FRS (.5) range is fine for our events - and we set up a relay if the range gts too long.

Don't rush as there are usually a couple of loaner radios available... and you can see what other people are using.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/12 at 6:11am
Costco ususally has them too.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
Oranos991 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oranos991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/12 at 10:11am
Thanks guys, I was planning on making a run to costco Friday, So I will keep an eye out for them. I am not too worried about it as long as they are cobra or motorola, etc. I have had good experience with them before. Just wanted to see what you guys have and recommend, since I am going to be using it with you guys Big smile
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/12 at 11:18am
I didn't have very good luck with the Cobras, but I do like my Midlands. You're always welcome to borrow one of mine (I have 4) if we're attending the same event. Smile
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
 Post Reply Post Reply