Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Event Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTulip Rallye 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tulip Rallye 2013
    Posted: April/20/13 at 8:17pm
Traffic back to the Seattle area was the pits this afternoon!  We finally got back and uploaded some pictures.  This isn't a heavy picture taking event, but here goes:

Two at the rest stop meet up.  Should I have been paying attention at the drivers meeting?  Probably.

Nothing to do with the rallye per se, but I love this car so I thought I'd post a picture of it.  Sort of the original Mini version of our R50's.  Just a stock little Austin 850.

A shot under Jessmini's new bonnet.  You've seen lots of shots of the rest of the car, now go inside.  Hope they got home OK as they were having trouble with the gear shift lever.

Today's winners, Carl (Spy Vs. Spy) and his son with a score of -5.  We weren't trying to photo bomb the pictures of the winner, we promise.  We just happened to park back to back at the end.

For those of you keeping track, we came in about fourth comparing our score of -8 to other participants who got -6 and -7.  Now to do a Google Street View search for those tools hanging from the trees...

Bruce, Stacie and Elliott

P.S.- Elliott wasn't actually "our little distraction" today.  He helped us find the two horse race and what fishermen are told!

Edited by valvashon - April/20/13 at 8:19pm
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/13 at 8:23pm
Wait Bruce, you guys didn't win? That's new! Ahahah!

Love the pics btw!
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/13 at 8:43pm
Congratulations SpyvsSpy!  Clap

We loved the route this year and it was nice that the weather mostly cooperated.  Couldn't help but stop for a quick pic at this street along the route:

We couldn't stay around for the awards or to hear the answers. Do they get posted somewhere?

2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/13 at 8:27am
Only if one of us does it.  We got -8 as stated before, so if you got any of these correct please PM me and I will correct our answer.  That way curious minds only have to look at this post as it will have the most correct answers.  We ran what was apparently called "Route A" so your answers may be in a different order:

1) Papa Murphy's
2) "b" (Bath Circle, Somerset, England, 1768)
3) "c" (Columbus Circle, New York, 1905)
4) Tiny Tim's Tattoo (Herbert Khaury was Tiny Tim's given name)
5) Foxy Lady Latte
6) Butler Hill Equestrian Center
7) Fish Outlet
8) Belfast (Feed Store)
9) Swede Creek (this clue was out of order- I believe it was on the other side of the railroad tracks)
10) 6:30 pm
11) 23669 (There were two racing horses on top of the mailbox at this address- Elliott caught this one!)
12) we got this wrong- it was apparently some sort of recycling place.  The answer makes no sense, IOHO
13) Wise Acres (small green sign on top of road sign)
14) Penguin (lighted holiday penguin on a gate)
15) Wildwood Forge and Ironworks
16) Willard (street) (1971 movie- Willard is actually the main character and his rats are named Ben and Socrates)
17) Lighthouse (big one as yard art)
18) Union Cemetery
19) we got this one wrong- correct answer is quite literal, they wanted "Tractor" as it is what is on the sign.
20) we got this one wrong
21) we got this one wrong- it may have been out of order on our route.  Apparently the tools in the trees are very obvious.
22) Child's Creek
23) Pineapple
24) Hamilton Gymnasium (name was up at top of old building- hard to see)
25) 98255
26) 36159 (there is a sign for "Camelot on the Skagit) on the fence.
27) 5 is the correct answer (we answered 6- you had to parse the information on the sign correctly)
28) Daylight to 11 am
29) Rock & Chain (or just Rock was acceptable also)
30) 956 (Grange hall number was #957- get it?)
31) Saws on the garage (when we drove by the guy was actually out front sitting on a chair smiling at the rally participants, drawing our attention to his garage)
32) Challenger Ridge Vineyard and Cellars
33) False- it was a store that sold honey
34) Angele Cupples Community Garden (birdhouse on every post in the garden)
35) May 8, 1909 (1909 was acceptable also- it was on every sign and in the factoid on your sheet)
36) Columbia Bank (they took the sign down the day before the rallye- we got this wrong as we put down the Concrete Liquor Store, where this phrase actually appears on a sign in the window)
37) Center of the Known Universe (this appeared on the wall of the Police Station)
38) 6 (5 county signs plus one private sign)
39) Hamilton Boat Launch (hard to see, but this boat launch had an actual name)
40) we got this one wrong- a trailer said "3 Fools Racing" on it and that's what we put down.  There were apparently three names on the trailer under that.  Not getting those names was sloppy on our part, as "3 Fools Racing" doesn't actually answer the question correctly.
41) 33746
42) Slot Machines (Cash Lost In Em)
43) T
44) b (20%)
45) Bush and Adams
46) Jaguar (there was a Black Jaguar E-Type sitting sort of under a tarp at the end of a blue house- we had to go back for this one as it was hard to see if you are traveling too fast)
47) 7
48) Good Luck! (Elliott caught this one as it was right at the corner of Fruitdale and River and we were too busy with directions)
49) Skagit Baptist Church
50) State Street Deli (only possible answer to have "sandwich" on the sign)
51) No (sign says it's closed all day on Sunday)
52) Good Food, Lousy Service
53) Northwest Tinman Auto Paint and Body (answer without "Northwest" was acceptable also)
54) Soroptomists Sedro Wooley
55) d (56%)
56) T
57) Carport (we answered "garage walls" which wasn't correct enough)
58) Salem Lutheran Church
59) Advance America

There's our answers.  Read and review so you can think like a rallyemaster next time!

Bruce

Edited by valvashon - April/21/13 at 10:50am
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/13 at 9:37am

Fun Day!   A BIG THANK YOU to the MG Club for putting on yet another Great Tulip Rallye! Lots and lots of effort on their part make it fun for all of us. So, Thanks Again! BowDownClapThumbs Up

Congratulations to SpyVsSpy!  WooHoo    And to another PSMINI Win!

I went solo but had a great time admiring all of the Fab cars, taking in the scenery, and waving to every Rallye car I passed - got a return wave from every one too!

Some of my fave pics of the day

On the Road

I was drawn to this building  . . . don't know why Wink

See ya next year!  WooHoo
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/13 at 9:55am
Awesome pics Genie!

I had a near hard luck story. My tranny started to slip right after pulling out of the mall in the beginning of the rallye. I was flooring it and my rpm's and speed went no where for a few minutes.....even after putting into SD mode....eventually it caught up! Definitely nerve wrecking.
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
Paul! View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/13 at 10:45am
Great pics, thanks for sharing! You even got one of me on the move! (Don't know what I was doing so far over to the left though... )

BTW, did anyone happen to get a shot of the 'tool' tree?

-Paul
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/13 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Paul! Paul! wrote:

Great pics, thanks for sharing! You even got one of me on the move! (Don't know what I was doing so far over to the left though... )

BTW, did anyone happen to get a shot of the 'tool' tree?

-Paul

Paul,  No worries about your driving. You were just carefully manuvering around my MINI stopped in front of you.
I need one of those bumper stickers:  I Brake for Photo Ops!

Ashley,  Whew! what a RELIEF your hard luck story didn't come true!  You may need to have that transmission checked.  

Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/13 at 7:45pm
Thanks Bruce.  I think we got about 87.3% right. ...and that statistic is made up.  LOL
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/13 at 11:38am
Yes, sadly from my past experiences with Seattle MINI service they will not be able to help me until the transmission is blown. My warranty, luckily, covers the tranny so to repair should only be $100 for me,  but they can't tear it open without significant proof/cause which I know that one incident will not be stored in the computer :(

Guess it will have to wait until I am stuck on the side of the road somewhere!
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
TWIZZLR View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert
PSMINI Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWIZZLR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/13 at 3:39pm
Great Photos
Sorry we missed it. Other obligations.

I am glad to hear that a PSMINI member won again. MINI people are pretty good at games, since we have bought a car that is a fun game every time we drive it. LOL

Karin
Karin & Karen

11 JCW Midnight Blk Roof Caps All pkgs, Aero
Spider Driver View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spider Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/13 at 5:02pm
Thanks for posting the answers.

I spoke with the other Fiat club members (3) and a couple of Alfa club members who bothered to participate, we all agreed the quality of the route was wonderful, but the starting proceedure and the errors in the route instructions made the event not up to when Ken and Kevin staged the event.

But after doing it for 27 years I fully understand why they 'retired', I just hope that Mr. Ellis will take the suggestions some have offered to heart and bring the quality back to the former level.

And again not enough Fiat Club members particpated for us to have a trophy...Congratulations for you club's enthusiasm

I really admire your club's enthusiasm and I am seriously considering buying a MINI and joining!

Bert
member of the FIAT not-so Enthusiasts Northwest...Cry
WOODSTOCK View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past President)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WOODSTOCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/13 at 5:20pm
You know you're welcome here Bert!
WOODSTOCK: Linda's 2005 LY MCSC with feel good graphics and go fast mods.
CINIMIN: Jack's 2006 Chili Red/White Coupe
KEMO-SABE: Our 2011 Bright White/Blk All4 Countryman
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/13 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Spider Driver Spider Driver wrote:

I really admire your club's enthusiasm and I am seriously considering buying a MINI and joining!

There are a lot of great cars out there but MINIs come with great friends. Being MINI is as much about the car as it is about the community and we'd love to have you. Maybe we should let you join us in the Fiat? Of course we'd end the Rally at MINI so you could trade the Fiat in.    j/k... come out any time Spider Driver.

Post Reply Post Reply