FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProject "Target Cave"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project "Target Cave"
    Posted: June/13/08 at 12:34pm
With my anticipated move to the Puget Sound area, a lot of gray area becomes readily apparent.  I have a friend on the USS Lincoln who was stationed in Bremerton and bought in Bremerton.  Now he has a 2+ hour commute each way to work.  Considering the retarded trend in gas prices, I don't know how I'd do in his situation.  But as far as I know (Navy wise) there are 3 places to get stationed...  Whidbey, Everett, and Kitsap (bangor +bremerton).  I don't really know how large each of these bases are, nor the real capabilities.  I know as an ET I can go with EOD at Whidbey, or pretty much anything else at Everett or Kitsap.

Currently my family consists of myself, spouse, 2 kids, and 2 cats.  Would like to extend it to two cars as well.  My preferred area is outside of the city proper, and usually on the outskirts of the 'burbs'.  Willing to drive through traffic for a better home.  I also want to be within reach of common services (high speed internet, decent sized grocery stores).  Want to settle into an area we can stay in.  I should have a decent chunk of equity from the sale of my Guam house for a house there.

I have no clue...  Based on maps alone, I think somewhere in Snohomish (Lake Stevens, Granite Falls) may be viable...  But I've no clue how feasable that really is since I don't really know what all is going on out there.  So any suggestions, critiques, or comments are much appreciated.  The wife and I already spend quite a bit of time on Zillow watching market trends in your area...  But I'd like to pick out a couple of target areas.

So what is the target area?  For you I mean.  If you were in my shoes, had a couple of tours left to do (aka, moving between commands/jobs/bases), where would you try and move to.  My target price range/size is currently ~ 300k ~ 2000 sq ft.

Edited by Wagnbat - June/13/08 at 12:34pm
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/08 at 2:31pm
"With my anticipated move to the Puget Sound area, a lot of gray area becomes readily apparent. "

Wingbat, you don't know what gray is until you spend a year in the Puget Sound area!

I think it would really help if you knew where you are going to be stationed.  I don't think you would want to do an Everett / Kitsap commute in either direction.  Same for Everett / Whidby - even in a MINI.  The areas around Everett you mentioned are all very livable and the commute to Everett would be reasonable.  Any where you go int the Puget Sound area, traffic is going to be an issue - and the gas prices are not going to make it better - maybe just slow down the rate at which it is getting worse.  I know that a lot of the Navy Facilities are at Smokey Point which is just north of Marysville. and that may be a factor.   

I'm sure you will want to find out about the schools in the various areas -  how old are your kids?  Here is another Snohomish County Program you should be aware of: http://www.snohomishcountybusinessjournal.com/article/20071201/SCBJ01/8099492&template=SCBJart

Where ever you wind up being stationed I'm sure you will find lots of people in the club from that area more than willing to help you learn about their community.

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/08 at 3:28pm
My preference would be Hawaii Wink 

However, taking a lesson from the CPO in the family (dad), you should go for Bremerton. I remember him weighing Whidbey and Bremerton and finally deciding on Bremerton because of the cost of living, relative proximity to Seattle (i.e fun times), and other factors (such as natural beauty, closeness to Olympic National Park and others). Everett was not a choice in 1974.

Not a bad decision, either. Your parameters will be met stationing there. Plus, you have your choice between two bases (Bangor and Bremerton). And it's a relatively short hop, skip, and jump to most PSMINI activities. Heck, we even get over there a few times each year.

If you want some expert advice, let me know. Would be happy to put you in touch with lots of folks familiar with what you are up against.

Stay safe!

-- Scoop
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/08 at 4:09pm
My 3 4 5 cents ...

Shouldn't you guys start with what you and your wife want to do workwise?  Can you be happy doing anything these 3 places have to offer?  Does your wife plan to work?  Doing what?

For starters after that, it was my personal choice in 1979 when I moved here to not depend on the ferry system for anything but occasional pleasure trips.  That feeling has only gotten stronger over the years.  I don't like having to live according to someone else's schedule (or fares for that matter).

Whidbey Island is mostly rural, and I'm told there are distinct differences in the population between one end of the island and the other (liberal/conservative, etc.).  More on that later if you want.  This choice would be the most isolated - long ways to most fun things that are not on the island - which would be mostly limited to nature type stuff.  Not bad if that's what you like.  I have worked professionally on several construction projects at this base.  It seems like a nice place on the surface.

Everett is a little newer, but at one point not long ago it was a candidate for closure - was it not?  Will it be around as long as you?  The northerners can certainly help more with this choice than me.  It might as well be the north pole for as often as I get up that way.

Bangor/Bremerton, and what about Keyport while you're at it, or don't you like torpedos?  These places are certainly established in their communities, and I believe the military is well respected by everyone - as they should be!!!  Again, I've worked on design/construction projects at all three, I've spent leisure time over there, and I've looked for property towards the south end as well.  I could live there in a heartbeat.  You can be out in the boonies, but not really that far from civilization either.  Housing may be a little bit less expensive than that for commuting to Everett, but catching up fast.  About one hour on the boat to Seattle, or driving around takes longer, plus the toll on the new Narrows bridge.  If you do start to think seriously about this choice and find a few places on your own, I for one would be happy to make a run or two over there to look at something for you.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/08 at 6:14pm
My 2 cents and Help I go along with CT. Personnel the best is Whidbey Island but as the others have layed out the best is not always the best choice.

I suggest that you sit down and figure out what kind of work you and your Wife want to do. What kind of area you want to live in and last where do you want to end up at the end of this tour. We as a group can help fill in the gray areas and can help paint a clearer picture.

If you want a direct contact to Whidbey Island I have a personnel friend there so if you want more info let me know and I can get in touch with him.  FYI: He was just on the USS Lincoln with the air wing from Whidbey. If you need help in this area let me know because they are leaving for a Med Pak (kind of)I believe. Also CINIMINI is a very good source and like Jack says traffic and gas prices are a give horror of the area so I would move that down you list on where to relocate.

Like I said at the start just my 2 cents if I can help just shout.
Good Luck.
John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/08 at 10:17pm
Recent expansion of training and other facilities at Everett seems to be a fairly strong indicator that it is going to be around for a while.    I think the fact that every area is going to have strong proponents says a lot about the quality of life throughout the Puget Sound region.  As far as I know all of the areas have good military / civilian relationships which is a very important factor for Military families.  

Note - I'm moving this topic to the "Area Information" forum as I think it is probably going to generate quite a bit of information about the area... 
Jack -

Wagnbat View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/08 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

Wingbat, you don't know what gray is until you spend a year in the Puget Sound area!

Wingbat, eh?  Flaming

Just kiddin...  I've vacationed twice to the area so far...  As well as did a 'mandatory fun' month at Everett in November 2000.  I really liked the area up there.  I can definitely deal with gray.  I wouldn't say I'm anti-sunlight, but I am pro-overcast. 

Originally posted by scoop scoop wrote:

However, taking a lesson from the CPO in the family (dad), you should go for Bremerton. I remember him weighing Whidbey and Bremerton and finally deciding on Bremerton because of the cost of living, relative proximity to Seattle (i.e fun times), and other factors (such as natural beauty, closeness to Olympic National Park and others). Everett was not a choice in 1974.
-- Scoop

Bremerton is pretty nice.  I guess my only concern there would be getting to Whidbey if I had to.  Would be 100% reliant on the ferries.  But I suppose that is the case with Whidbey regardless, eh? 

Originally posted by CosmicTraveler CosmicTraveler wrote:

My 3 4 5 cents ...

Shouldn't you guys start with what you and your wife want to do workwise?  Can you be happy doing anything these 3 places have to offer?  Does your wife plan to work?  Doing what?

Sorta.  She doesn't really have a career preference, doesn't want to go to school, and wants to go where-ever I want to go.  She would like to be close to her family (southern california), but also far enough away not to warrant unwanted house guests (common with her nationality).  She is pretty, very friendly and people oriented, speaks Spanish, good with computers, and learns fast.  I'm pretty sure she could easily find a job in any area regardless of where we moved.  Our kids will just be starting school (currently 5 weeks and 15 months old) when we get to Washington, so she'll probably be focusing on house-hold stuff first.

Quote For starters after that, it was my personal choice in 1979 when I moved here to not depend on the ferry system for anything but occasional pleasure trips.  That feeling has only gotten stronger over the years.  I don't like having to live according to someone else's schedule (or fares for that matter).

But are there people that are able to rely on the system?  Especially with gas prices the way they are now?

Quote Whidbey Island is mostly rural, and I'm told there are distinct differences in the population between one end of the island and the other (liberal/conservative, etc.).  More on that later if you want.  This choice would be the most isolated - long ways to most fun things that are not on the island - which would be mostly limited to nature type stuff.  Not bad if that's what you like. 

Hrrmmm..  I love driving places whenever I want, so Whidbey will probably be the last choice.

Quote Everett is a little newer, but at one point not long ago it was a candidate for closure - was it not?  Will it be around as long as you? 

I don't see why not.  Where else could they possibly put a Nuke Aircraft Carrier?  I don't think the sound is deep/wide enough in the channels around Bremerton...  So long as the carrier stays there, I don't see Everett going away.

Quote Bangor/Bremerton, and what about Keyport while you're at it, or don't you like torpedos?  These places are certainly established in their communities, and I believe the military is well respected by everyone - as they should be!!!

Yeah, but I don't know how much is at either place really.  Even though my buddy did 4 years in Bremerton, I never visited the base when I went there.  So I don't really know how many options there are for getting stationed there.  I know when I look at available orders online, I hardly ever see orders for Bremerton.

Maybe I will look south of Seattle.  I've still got plenty of time yet, so there isn't a hurry.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.  Very helpful all!
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/08 at 11:59pm
Wagnbat - sorry I messed up your name - I think it was the batwing avatar sending a subliminal message to my subconcious - but it may have just been me not reading carefully.
Jack -

Wagnbat View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/08 at 6:08am
No worries!!!  I really just wanted to use that big emoticon. Raspberry
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/08 at 6:20am
"But are there people that are able to rely on the system?  Especially with gas prices the way they are now?"

Yes, there are lots of people who take the boat, and I'm sure the snooze is every bit as good on the boat as it was on the buses I rode a while back, plus they offer snacks and potties.  Unlimited leg room is also a BIG bonus.  Views are great!  Rides can get exciting during the windy season, and some have gotten a free car wash!  LOL
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/08 at 9:11am
"Rides can get exciting during the windy season, and some have gotten a free car wash!  LOL"

Note - this is a link to the original photographers copyrighted pictures - not the bootleg copies posted all over the internet.

Edited by CINIMIN - June/14/08 at 9:27am
Jack -

Post Reply Post Reply