Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Event Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTwists & Turns Road Rally...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twists & Turns Road Rally...
    Posted: June/30/12 at 4:20pm
Thanks to Beth and RoyClap - and a great turnout of 30 MINIsThumbs UpThumbs Up - it was a fun day on the backroads between Northgate and IssaquahDrive.  Hope everyone had as much fun as we did!

Edited by CINIMIN - June/30/12 at 4:56pm
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 6:08pm
Very fun, thanks so much for taking the time to organize such a fun route! You nailed all of the real curvy roads I was aware of plus more.

Even not registered, it was just as exciting keeping up with others :)
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
MiniCharley View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiniCharley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 8:19pm
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this event!!!!!!!!!!!!   It was grat to see everyone having such a great time.   THANK YOU to Beth and Roy for their time and effort!! I know these types of events are not easy to run and you guys did awesome!!    

Jack and Linda were also a big help (as usual)... and the photographers.. I don't know who you are, but we definitely saw you on the route!

Can't wait to do it again next year!!!!!!!!! :)
Our family:
12 R60 All4 SB/Blk WILDBLUE
12 R59 JCW Roaster PB/RED APOLLO

04 IB/W MCS CHARLEY
12 All4 CB/Bk YONDER
12 CoupeS LB/Bk DBCOUPE
80 Mini Kensington Red STELLA
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 8:44pm
A HUGE thank you to Roy and Beth and everyone else who helped put this together. My team and I had a fantastic time!    You guys did a great job and even made the weather cooperate. Nice! Clap

I commute every day from Northgate to Issaquah and after today's route I gotta say, boy my usual route is borrrrrrring.  I think I've been doing it wrong this whole time! LOL

-Steph
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
Sherwood View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 9:15pm
What an AWESOME day! Thanks to ALL who helped make it such a success. Had a great time meeting new friends and taking pictures. We were able to go "topless" all day! Looking forward to more events.

Mike and Donna Stewart
Sherwood '12 Convert, British Racing Green, Bk Top
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 10:12pm
Ok, where's the smiley-with-egg-on-his-face emoticon???

I'm afraid I have to confess to a hugely HUMILIATING error.  I was the scorekeeper, and though I made good time plowing through everyone's score sheets (by the way, nice handwriting everyone - thank you!), when it came to converting the CAR NUMBER to the WINNER NAMES, I blew it.  Censored
A few people noticed the car numbers announced didn't match the names, and brought it to our attention, but we realized our mistake too late.  Fortunately, Roy has decided to let me live ... at least for now. Confused

Roy will be posting the actual final scores shortly - checked, double-checked, triple-checked, and computer-calculated.  But, I have three new winners to announce:

In 3rd place:  Dean, Belinda, and Grace Prince (occupants of Car #5, MiniCharley on the forums)
In 2nd place:  Mike and Donna Stewart (occupants of Car #21, Sherwood on the forums)

And ... drumroll.... Taking 1st place: Debbie & Paul Beykovsky (occupants of Car #19)

We'll be securing new prizes for them all shortly (along with the head of the scorekeeper on a platter - wait, do I have 3 heads??), but for now, they're entitled to the bragging rights.  My abject apologies to everyone - clearly I should have had a rootbeer float before attempting to calculate scores (or at least some caffeine??)

Thanks to everyone for being such good sports - the final results list is coming very shortly.  Many thanks to HalfRack for taking photos of everyone today - I can't wait to see them! 

Final scores will be posted by car number to protect the innocent.  If you don't recall your number, just send me (or, safer bet, Roy) a PM and we'll PM you back with your car number.

Beth

Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 10:53pm
Wow, what an outstanding turn out today! And remarkably enough, we didn't get rained on (much).
Thanks everyone for your patience as we dealt with the large turnout. Guaging from the responses, it sounds like people had a good time, even if they did get lost along the way.
I'd like to offer special thanks to the people who helped make this event happen:
1. My wife, Beth (Escape Pod), for organizing documents, stuffing envelopes, logistical support, checkpoint monitoring, scorekeeping and more. I couldn't have done it without her.
2. Jack and Linda (Woodstock) for testing the rally, getting prizes and awards, monitoring checkpoint 2, the use of their canopy and much more. They are great friends.
3. Karin N. (Twisstr) for her assistance at the starting line getting cars out as quickly as possible. Thanks, Karin!
3. Dave R. (Dave's Not Here) for his assistance at the finish line.
4. John O. (Peabody) for creating our Liability Release. Hopefully, we won't need his services in court.
5. Joe T. (Halfrack) for taking photos of the rally. Now we'll have something to remember it by.
and anyone else who helped along the way. Your help is much appreciated.

Edited by Roy - July/01/12 at 11:55am
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 11:14pm
Rally Results
Thanks everyone for persevering through to the end. Good job! Below are your scores for the rally in ranked order. These are the double-checked scores as calculated in Excel.

Car #

Mileage Score

Bonus Points

Final Score

If you don't remember your car number, just PM me, and I'll look it up.
Thanks,
Roy
Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
turbospeeder View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbospeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/12 at 11:20pm
Had great fun on those twisted roads!!! Thanks Roy and Beth!
Debster View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 12:09am
WooHooFIRST PLACE IS A BRAGGING RIGHT WE WILL HONOR,
Thank you Roy and Beth and others. This was a great course with lots of thought put into it. The best part is we thought we were doing great at leg 1 and 2. and when someone said that your lost too, we said , well, I think were " spot on ". lol  -

Thank you for correcting the status, as FIRST PLACE.  Makes for a great birthday present for today..
so happy to get the "rookie" win.

and to all the other drivers, NEVER, trust the other mini's blinker...

CAR # 19
Debbie / Paul Beykovsky

2011 Mini 6 spd - Chili Red-White Race stripes-Classic White Top
Car #19 2012 - Turns & Twists Road Rally Winner / First Annual Event
"LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT, ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE"
Sherwood View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 8:44am
Clap WOW we got 2nd!!!!! So hard to believe!! This is only our 2nd event the 1st being The Tulip Ride. Thank you to everyone that made this event so much FUN!!!

No worries Beth - we all make mistakes - you are forgiven Wink

Car #21
Mike & Donna Stewart
Sherwood '12 Convert, British Racing Green, Bk Top
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 9:18am
Congratulations to the real winners.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
LMNCELO View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMNCELO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 10:04am
What fun,what fun, WHAT FUN THAT WAS!

Mostly sunny, quality time with our MINIS and with our friends, prizes, AND root beer. What could be better.
Thanks to all, and Beth, don't think for a minute that the little scoring snafu gets you off the hook for planning another event.
Looking forward to the 2nd annual Twists and Turns.

Gretchen
Gretchen and LMNCELO: 2005 liquid yellow MCS convertible
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 10:07am
It was a fun day! Great to see everyone and drive some fun twisties. Great job Beth and Roy for finding some great roads even if we did get lost right out of the start. Thanks everyone!
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 10:09am
Sounds like you all had a great time!  Looking forward to the photos!

Beth, don't be too hard on yourself. Sounds like you & Roy, and your helpers, did a fabulous job putting together a wonderful event. I've got to make it for the 2nd annual.

Cheers!
Peabody View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peabody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 11:21am
Okay, we'll fess up - WE are car #18.  However, in our defense, we were a little confused.

1) We thought the car with the HIGHEST score would be the winner;
2) We thought "No Outlet" meant there was no plug-in station for electric cars to re-charge on the road ahead; and
3) We thought the $20.00 we promised Roy before the rally started might be some insurance against a low finish.

All kidding aside, that was one of the best rallies we have ever run.  Roy and Beth put together a fun and twisty course.  Thanks to them and to everyone else who helped make this a success.

I also was really pleased with the number of new people who participated.  Our club just gets better with new members joining in.  I hope that all of you will continue to participate in coming events.

And now Mavourneen and I will begin practicing our rally skills in the parking lot at Safeway. 
John & Mavourneen
2008 MCS Cabrio - BRG - 15%pulley - Dinan CAI - H&R rear sway bar - Screamin Demon coil - Craven strut tower defenders - Multivex mirrors
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 12:49pm
LOL - not at you - but your post is pretty funny!
Jack -

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 1:12pm
The "Right at next stop sign" and the No-outlet almost got us too. We had to stop and ponder it a bit. The watch for fast traffic was our saving grace.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 2:37pm
Congrats to the real winners! 

Also, a BIG congrats and thank you to Roy & Beth for putting on such a fun and successful event. Even the wrong turn we took along with Peabody was a blast! This was Erin & my first event...the bar has been set very high.

Looking forward to the Bothell 4th Parade as well as Stonehenge run later this month
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 5:29pm
OK, I've been looking at maps and trying to figure out how we screwed up the first couple directions so badly. Number 6 is on 115th crossing Lake City way. I can't see how we got there.

What path were we suppose to take?

After a litte more looking at the map, I see it we were on the correct path to start out, right on 114th, then right at the T onto 12th NE, then we should have turned left onto 113th when straight was a dead end. The rest of the instructions work from there. 

Newby mistakes. 

Edited by garumph - July/01/12 at 5:51pm
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by garumph garumph wrote:

The "Right at next stop sign" and the No-outlet almost got us too. We had to stop and ponder it a bit. The watch for fast traffic was our saving grace.
Yea, I thought that intersection might trip-up some people.  Good job on figuring it out.

One of the most important rules for people to remember is:

7. Avoid travelling on prohibited roads at all times unless otherwise directed.  These roads will not be considered opportunities or counted to identify the rally course.  You may be forced to change direction to avoid a prohibited road, but if a selection of turns is possible, an instruction will be given. 

I think a lot of people that were forced by a dead-end to take a turn not listed in the directions assumed they were "lost", when in fact they were still on course.  Under rally rules, it's not considered necessary to instruct drivers to make a turn, if turning is the only option.  This sort of thing is, of course, what makes a rally a little bit tricky and challenging. With experience, it gets easier to interpret such situations and determine the correct course. If the course was immediately obvious to everyone then it wouldn't be much of a challenge. Smile

Fortunately, although the route created some confusion, people still found their way through the legs and finished, which was what I was hoping for.  So, well done!

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 6:12pm
makes perfect sense now. It was really bugging me yesterday trying to figure out how we were so far off. 

Thanks for creating such a great rally.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/12 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by garumph garumph wrote:

OK, I've been looking at maps and trying to figure out how we screwed up the first couple directions so badly. Number 6 is on 115th crossing Lake City way. I can't see how we got there.

What path were we suppose to take?

After a litte more looking at the map, I see it we were on the correct path to start out, right on 114th, then right at the T onto 12th NE, then we should have turned left onto 113th when straight was a dead end. The rest of the instructions work from there. 

Newby mistakes. 

Yep, you got it. The forced left onto 113th to avoid the dead-end was an unnecessary instruction per the rally rules.

Here it is mapped out for other people's benefit:
Hover over each numbered yellow spot to see the corresponding rally instruction.

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
LadyinRed View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyinRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/12 at 6:05pm
Thanks Roy & Beth and everyone who helped put on such a great event. Sorry we had to bow out after the 2nd check point, and I'm sure Linda and Jack communicated that to you. The twists and turns were so much fun and the scenery of the neighborhoods was beautiful. We learned allot of new back roads and rally tricks and enjoyed it tremendously! Thanks again for a great event. 
Life Is Good In A Mini

'06 Chili Red S
CarbonCooper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbonCooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/12 at 11:23am
Where are the pictures for the twist & turn rally
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/12 at 8:59pm
It's a bummer that I missed out on this fun drive, but I had to work. I will look forward to next year's Twist & Turns Road Rally. It sounds like it was a hit (obit the error with the scores). Next year should be even better. Wink
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/12 at 10:22pm
Brtenda - we missed you and Steve on the rally - but we are thankfull and appreciate that you and the other Firefightes, Paramedics, Police officers, and other dedicated servers of the piublic are willing to give up some of your weekends to keep us safe from ourselves..   Thank You!.
Jack -

Chili Red Baron View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chili Red Baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/12 at 8:08am
Beth & Roy, do it again, it was the best ever, and you guys and your volunteers deserve all the praise! Thanks for a great day!!!Smile
2016 thunder grey metallic Cooper S MINI Clubman with a John Cooper Works interior.
Roy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/12 at 9:46am
Thanks.  We will most likely host the rally again, since it was so popular.

In preparation for next year, we would like to get some feedback from people about this year's event.  Everyone who attended, please take a moment to fill out this quick survey and let us know how we did, and how we can improve.

Thanks,
Roy

Roy (formerly Shazoom)
2008 CR/B JCW Cabrio
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/12 at 1:34pm
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere...will the photos taken be posted on the boards?
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>